Page 12 of 374 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    But that doesn't explain why he set up an alert protocol that results in his eyes glowing bright red when it's triggered. What happens if he's just having a conversation with someone when it goes off? How does he explain it? "Man, just not gettin' enough sleep, I guess."
    I think that was more for visual effect, to emphasize that something is up with Henshaw, then to mean his eyes glow red whenever someone accesses the DEO's computer systems when they shouldn't be.

It's already been confirmed that he's Toyman's son and that he's estranged from his father. My guess would be that he took the job for much the same reasons Kara originally decided to hide her powers, because he wanted a "normal" life unconnected to the burden of his family's legacy.
    On the show? Unless it passed me by (possible), I heard no mention of it.

Kara is working for Cat because that's the business she wants to work in. I'm not even sure what Win does there. Heck, I'm not sure what Jimmy Olson does there. Nobody seems to do any work there with the exception of Kara getting coffee for her boss.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    On the show? Unless it passed me by (possible), I heard no mention of it.
    It was confirmed as part of the casting announcement for Henry Czerny as Toyman.

Kara is working for Cat because that's the business she wants to work in. I'm not even sure what Win does there. Heck, I'm not sure what Jimmy Olson does there. Nobody seems to do any work there with the exception of Kara getting coffee for her boss.
    The main reason Kara chose to live a normal life and take a normal, low-key job was because she wanted to establish her own life separate from the spotlight of being Superman's cousin. There are a million other things she could be doing if she chose to use her powers, even on an under the radar basis, just like there are probably a million other things Winn could be doing if he employed his full tech knowledge. But he doesn't want the exposure of being defined as Toyman's son just like Kara didn't want the exposure of being defined as Superman's cousin. Basically, they're both hiding. As far as not being sure what anyone's specific job is . . . that's par for the course on TV shows like this. Felicity was supposed to be an IT tech at QC, but Ollie had her running DNA scans and chemical analysis. Laurel was originally supposed to be a legal aid attorney and she was running around like a P.I. I'm still trying to figure out why Cat has her P.A. editing her articles when she, presumably, employs a full staff of qualified editors.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It is certainly morally ambiguous in the absence of any civic accountability.
    No it's not. Using lethal force to protect one's own life and/or the life of others is both morally and--according to the letter of the law--legally acceptable. There was zero ambiguity behind either Atom Smasher's or Sand Demon's intentions, so there was no ambiguity behind Barry's response. They wanted to kill Barry and were more than willing to kill innocent people to do it. Barry did what he had to to stop them and save lives, his own included. Plus, there's nothing to suggest that he was trying to kill either of them. Hell, in both cases he was employing measures to stop them that were suggested by others. The fact that he didn't get all weepy over the unintended deaths of two guys who were trying to kill him and threatening to kill innocent people--including his friends and family--doesn't make Barry a guy with no moral center. That aside, the moral justification of his actions and any civil liability that might arise from it if he were put on trial are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that was more for visual effect, to emphasize that something is up with Henshaw, then to mean his eyes glow red whenever someone accesses the DEO's computer systems when they shouldn't be.
    Yeah, I know it was a visual effect. That was my point. If someone had been standing next to him, they'd have seen his eyes glow red, which makes no sense from a story perspective, if it's something he can control.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-10-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or she was going for a non-lethal takedown which effected her fighting style. And I don't think a heat vision to the chest mechanism would've turned out well for anyone involved.
    Well, I meant somehow disabling it. I agree blowing up the place would be an unhealthy choice.

Her fighting style IS all non lethal. It's also very rookie, as she is still learning. Like I said, a good ranged attack via heat vision would have helped her, thus illustrating my support of Captain Smith's statement of this being CIS/PIS.
    A ranged attack can equalize one's chances against an opponent who seems to do well with his own ranged attacks. All it takes for her is to visually focus on an area and let it loose.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 11-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

It was confirmed as part of the casting announcement for Henry Czerny as Toyman.

The main reason Kara chose to live a normal life and take a normal, low-key job was because she wanted to establish her own life separate from the spotlight of being Superman's cousin. There are a million other things she could be doing if she chose to use her powers, even on an under the radar basis, just like there are probably a million other things Winn could be doing if he employed his full tech knowledge. But he doesn't want the exposure of being defined as Toyman's son just like Kara didn't want the exposure of being defined as Superman's cousin. Basically, they're both hiding. As far as not being sure what anyone's specific job is . . . that's par for the course on TV shows like this. Felicity was supposed to be an IT tech at QC, but Ollie had her running DNA scans and chemical analysis. Laurel was originally supposed to be a legal aid attorney and she was running around like a P.I. I'm still trying to figure out why Cat has her P.A. editing her articles when she, presumably, employs a full staff of qualified editors.
    OK, so never mentioned on the show. Fine.

This makes no sense. Not wanting to be known as Toyman's son is not the same thing as throwing away your tech skills. He could change his name and work anywhere, doing what he apparently is good at.

And if Supergirl doesn't want to be known as Superman's cousin: (1) she shouldn't tell people she's Superman's cousin, (2) she shouldn't call herself Supergirl (yeah, I know Cat came up with the name, but she could have squelched that pretty quickly, and (3) don't be a superhero. She obviously wants the connection with Earth's greatest hero, but wants to be recognized for herself. Good luck to her.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

No it's not. Using lethal force to protect one's own life and/or the life of others is both morally and--according to the letter of the law--legally acceptable.
    That is...not true.

The law requires civic accountability to determine whether the circumstances justify lethal force. You don't get to decide that for yourself.

Ummm....

No episode so far has had a story even remotely revolving around Superman. You're just being determined to make stuff up for some reason.
    The last episode was all about a Superman villain coming to beat her because of him, he beats her and he shows up, Supes gets credit for the save, he shows up because Jimmy called him, i mean, really.

What's your definition of remotely, here? Supes appeared in the latest episode.

You guys are actually saying that this is the only way a Supergirl show can exist?
    If it spends half it's time mentioning Superman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The last episode was all about a Superman villain coming to beat her because of him, he beats her and he shows up, Supes gets credit for the save, he shows up because Jimmy called him, i mean, really.

What's your definition of remotely, here? Supes appeared in the latest episode.

You guys are actually saying that this is the only way a Supergirl show can exist?
    If it spends half it's time mentioning Superman?
    The key here is what is the definition of "revolving " . This is not a series that revolves around Superman. Or hasn't been a single episode that revolves around Superman.

The key here is what is the definition of "revolving " . This is not a series that revolves around Superman. Or hasn't been a single episode that revolves around Superman.
    Look, im not going to get into a discussion on the definition of a word.
    You know what i mean when im talking about this. I expected a Supergirl show to focus on Supergirl and what she does, i wouldn't mind a few Supes mention but we instead have 3 episodes that keep growing the amount of Superman being involved in the story.

You know what? These episodes ALMOST seem like backdoor pilots for an actual Supergirl show that were shown in a Superman show.

Again, i want a Supergirl show about Supergirl and not about how she is connected to Superman.
    I would not mind Reactron saying, "Im going to beat you like i beat Superman." But when he gets into a his whole background being about Superman and he is only doing this to get to Superman... oh boy, come on.

BANNED

That is...not true.

The law requires civic accountability to determine whether the circumstances justify lethal force. You don't get to decide that for yourself.
    The law decides what is legally justifiable, but "legal" and "moral" are not the same things. An act can be morally justifiable (which was the specific issue at hand regarding Barry's actions, not the legality of them) and still violate the letter of the law. Conversely, just because someone is found "not guilty" in court doesn't mean their actions had any moral justification.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-10-2015 at 08:15 PM.

BANNED

OK, so never mentioned on the show. Fine.

This makes no sense. Not wanting to be known as Toyman's son is not the same thing as throwing away your tech skills. He could change his name and work anywhere, doing what he apparently is good at.
    But since, as you note, we have no idea what he actually does at CatCo, it's entirely possible that he is using his tech skills. (According to the character description that was released when the actor was cast, he works in It, so there you go.) Now, whatever it is he's doing is probably beneath his skill level, but the same could be said of Kara as Cat's assistant. Like I said, they both chose to hide their light under a bushel, in part to escape the long shadows of their families, and in part because they lacked ambition and direction (which Kara's becoming Supergirl helped them both find). It happens all the time in the real world.

And if Supergirl doesn't want to be known as Superman's cousin: (1) she shouldn't tell people she's Superman's cousin, (2) she shouldn't call herself Supergirl (yeah, I know Cat came up with the name, but she could have squelched that pretty quickly, and (3) don't be a superhero. She obviously wants the connection with Earth's greatest hero, but wants to be recognized for herself. Good luck to her.
    And, as I believe I made clear in my original post, I was specifically referring to the choice Kara made to work as a personal assistant before she became Supergirl (the phrase "for much the same reasons Kara originally decided to hide her powers" should have been the giveaway).
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.

BANNED

The law decides what is legally justifiable, but "legal" and "moral" are not the same things. An act can be morally justifiable (which was the specific issue at hand regarding Barry's actions, not the legality of them) and still violate the letter of the law. Conversely, just because someone is found "not guilty" in court doesn't mean their actions had any moral justification.
    Morals are determined by society and a codified into law . No individual gets to decide whether an action is moral only society does. Civic accountability is irrevocably tied to morality .

I wonder whats Henshaw's motives in this show, he's not an alien, so what is he?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    The only thing that gave me pause was when they first fought and he flew away when his suit was damaged, Supergirl was still in ok condition. Why didn't she just take off after him?
    I had a few seconds pause on that too. I justified the story calling for Supergirl to just let Reactron go with an explanation to myself that Supergirl wanted to check up on everyone at the accident scene to make sure they were okay after Reactron sent her flying uncontrollably a few times into various vehicles. Also, it was still the site of a major pileup. More people could have needed Supergirl and Reactron had interrupted that before she could check all the vehicles. She probably wanted to make sure everyone was safe first.

That's how I justified it, at least.