Page 12 of 286 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Fight was typical PIS or CIS. Kal or Kara should have eliminated him in a millisecond. A zillion ways to do it.

Yeah, she easily could have used heat vision at his chest mechanism, wrist shooters, or even a knee cap. At this point, I'll chalk it up to her overall fighting inexperience. Even though she and her sis have done some training, and even though she has fought her aunt and that other Kryptonian, we haven't seen her handle many ranged attacks.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Given that the premise of the show is Supergirl discovering her own identity and getting out from Superman's shadow, it would be really out of place for no one to mention Superman several times an episode, particularly at the start like this, since he's the only other person inexistence to compare her to and she does sort of, you know, wear the S.
    I didnt know the premise was Superman's Cousin.
    I actually wanted a show about Supergirl. I was worried about being all super feminism rah-rah but we got something worst.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post

All this carping over how many times Superman gets mentioned is hilarious because we all know that if they didn't mention him at all, people would be complaining about that.
    I wouldn't be complaining at all.
    I wouldn't mind a couple of mentions through the episodes but the first 3 episodes of this show so far have storylines revolving around Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So all DC TV superheroes apparently need:

-The nerdy tech person who also doubles as a fashion designer/comic relief.
    -The somewhat morally ambiguous female character.
    -The Black guy who's the emotional center/voice of reason on the team.
    Yeah, the show also follow the same path of first fight loss, have the nerds figure out a method of attack, and one final fight with said method of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Who are the morally ambiguous females in arrow, flash and supergirl?
    Nyssa, Speedy, Golden Glider, and Grant?

Yeah, thus far Kara has avoided the Flash problem of "act like he's a role model for young people, but then have him do all kinds of shady/morally ambiguous things that you then gloss over." She actually has lived up to that ideal, but we'll have to wait and see if that continues.
    I meant the fact that this season Flash has killed two Earth-2 villains without batting an eye at it.
    So all DC TV superheroes apparently need:

-The nerdy tech person who also doubles as a fashion designer/comic relief.
    -The somewhat morally ambiguous female character.
    -The Black guy who's the emotional center/voice of reason on the team.
    Now that you mention it...Felicity designed the Green Arrow costume, Cisco designed the Flash costume, and Winn designed the Supergirl costume. And yet Vixen is the only character who apparently actually majored in it .

I don't think Alex is really that morally ambiguous, at least at this point and compared to Henshaw. She came through with finding a way to stop Reactron and is generally very supportive of her sister. She seems more pragmatic and practical then morally ambiguous, and what morally ambigous actions she has taken seem to be as a result of Henshaw's orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Yeah, she easily could have used heat vision at his chest mechanism, wrist shooters, or even a knee cap. At this point, I'll chalk it up to her overall fighting inexperience. Even though she and her sis have done some training, and even though she has fought her aunt and that other Kryptonian, we haven't seen her handle many ranged attacks.
    Or she was going for a non-lethal takedown which effected her fighting style. And I don't think a heat vision to the chest mechanism would've turned out well for anyone involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume his cyborg systems are connected to the DEO mainframe or something, so when Alex was accessing files for stopping Reactron he was able to realize it.
    But that doesn't explain why he set up an alert protocol that results in his eyes glowing bright red when it's triggered. What happens if he's just having a conversation with someone when it goes off? How does he explain it? "Man, just not gettin' enough sleep, I guess."

As far as Henshaw's identity goes, my guess is that he was critically injured when Fort Rozz crashed to Earth--either he was member of the response to that investigated the crash and was hurt trying to contain the alien breakout or (sticking closer to the comics) he was an astronaut in Earth orbit and the prison impacted his ship, causing it to crash. His body was rebuilt using Kryptonian tech salvaged from the crash and he was eventually put in charge of containing the alien threat. The real question is who rebuilt him and what side is he on? I really hope he doesn't turn out to be a bad guy, just because it would basically be a rehash of the opening season arcs on Arrow and Flash, where one of the hero's friends/allies/mentor's ends up betraying him. (And, in the case of Arrow, they basically reused it for season 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I agree. I assume he has some connection with Toyman, which is why he can do this stuff. But why is he working there?
    It's already been confirmed that he's Toyman's son and that he's estranged from his father. My guess would be that he took the job for much the same reasons Kara originally decided to hide her powers, because he wanted a "normal" life unconnected to the burden of his family's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I wouldn't be complaining at all.
    That'll be the day.

I wouldn't mind a couple of mentions through the episodes but the first 3 episodes of this show so far have storylines revolving around Superman.
    You seem to be watching a very different version of the show than the one I'm seeing.

BANNED

Yeah, thus far Kara has avoided the Flash problem of "act like he's a role model for young people, but then have him do all kinds of shady/morally ambiguous things that you then gloss over." She actually has lived up to that ideal, but we'll have to wait and see if that continues.
    I've never seen the Flash proclaim himself as some kind of "role model for the kids" and using lethal force to stop a violent criminal with blindingly clear lethal intent and the obvious means to carry it out is neither shady nor morally ambiguous.

Given that the premise of the show is Supergirl discovering her own identity and getting out from Superman's shadow,
    I didnt know the premise was Superman's Cousin.
    Ummm....

No episode so far has had a story even remotely revolving around Superman. You're just being determined to make stuff up for some reason.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

I've never seen the Flash proclaim himself as some kind of "role model for the kids" and using lethal force to stop a violent criminal with blindingly clear lethal intent and the obvious means to carry it out is neither shady nor morally ambiguous.
    It is certainly morally ambiguous in the absence of any civic accountability.

But that doesn't explain why he set up an alert protocol that results in his eyes glowing bright red when it's triggered. What happens if he's just having a conversation with someone when it goes off? How does he explain it? "Man, just not gettin' enough sleep, I guess."
    I think that was more for visual effect, to emphasize that something is up with Henshaw, then to mean his eyes glow red whenever someone accesses the DEO's computer systems when they shouldn't be.

It's already been confirmed that he's Toyman's son and that he's estranged from his father. My guess would be that he took the job for much the same reasons Kara originally decided to hide her powers, because he wanted a "normal" life unconnected to the burden of his family's legacy.
    On the show? Unless it passed me by (possible), I heard no mention of it.

Kara is working for Cat because that's the business she wants to work in. I'm not even sure what Win does there. Heck, I'm not sure what Jimmy Olson does there. Nobody seems to do any work there with the exception of Kara getting coffee for her boss.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

On the show? Unless it passed me by (possible), I heard no mention of it.
    It was confirmed as part of the casting announcement for Henry Czerny as Toyman.

Kara is working for Cat because that's the business she wants to work in. I'm not even sure what Win does there. Heck, I'm not sure what Jimmy Olson does there. Nobody seems to do any work there with the exception of Kara getting coffee for her boss.
    The main reason Kara chose to live a normal life and take a normal, low-key job was because she wanted to establish her own life separate from the spotlight of being Superman's cousin. There are a million other things she could be doing if she chose to use her powers, even on an under the radar basis, just like there are probably a million other things Winn could be doing if he employed his full tech knowledge. But he doesn't want the exposure of being defined as Toyman's son just like Kara didn't want the exposure of being defined as Superman's cousin. Basically, they're both hiding. As far as not being sure what anyone's specific job is . . . that's par for the course on TV shows like this. Felicity was supposed to be an IT tech at QC, but Ollie had her running DNA scans and chemical analysis. Laurel was originally supposed to be a legal aid attorney and she was running around like a P.I. I'm still trying to figure out why Cat has her P.A. editing her articles when she, presumably, employs a full staff of qualified editors.

BANNED

It is certainly morally ambiguous in the absence of any civic accountability.
    No it's not. Using lethal force to protect one's own life and/or the life of others is both morally and--according to the letter of the law--legally acceptable. There was zero ambiguity behind either Atom Smasher's or Sand Demon's intentions, so there was no ambiguity behind Barry's response. They wanted to kill Barry and were more than willing to kill innocent people to do it. Barry did what he had to to stop them and save lives, his own included. Plus, there's nothing to suggest that he was trying to kill either of them. Hell, in both cases he was employing measures to stop them that were suggested by others. The fact that he didn't get all weepy over the unintended deaths of two guys who were trying to kill him and threatening to kill innocent people--including his friends and family--doesn't make Barry a guy with no moral center. That aside, the moral justification of his actions and any civil liability that might arise from it if he were put on trial are two different things.

I think that was more for visual effect, to emphasize that something is up with Henshaw, then to mean his eyes glow red whenever someone accesses the DEO's computer systems when they shouldn't be.
    Yeah, I know it was a visual effect. That was my point. If someone had been standing next to him, they'd have seen his eyes glow red, which makes no sense from a story perspective, if it's something he can control.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-10-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Or she was going for a non-lethal takedown which effected her fighting style. And I don't think a heat vision to the chest mechanism would've turned out well for anyone involved.
    Well, I meant somehow disabling it. I agree blowing up the place would be an unhealthy choice.

Her fighting style IS all non lethal. It's also very rookie, as she is still learning. Like I said, a good ranged attack via heat vision would have helped her, thus illustrating my support of Captain Smith's statement of this being CIS/PIS.
    A ranged attack can equalize one's chances against an opponent who seems to do well with his own ranged attacks. All it takes for her is to visually focus on an area and let it loose.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 11-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

It was confirmed as part of the casting announcement for Henry Czerny as Toyman.

The main reason Kara chose to live a normal life and take a normal, low-key job was because she wanted to establish her own life separate from the spotlight of being Superman's cousin. There are a million other things she could be doing if she chose to use her powers, even on an under the radar basis, just like there are probably a million other things Winn could be doing if he employed his full tech knowledge. But he doesn't want the exposure of being defined as Toyman's son just like Kara didn't want the exposure of being defined as Superman's cousin. Basically, they're both hiding. As far as not being sure what anyone's specific job is . . . that's par for the course on TV shows like this. Felicity was supposed to be an IT tech at QC, but Ollie had her running DNA scans and chemical analysis. Laurel was originally supposed to be a legal aid attorney and she was running around like a P.I. I'm still trying to figure out why Cat has her P.A. editing her articles when she, presumably, employs a full staff of qualified editors.
    OK, so never mentioned on the show. Fine.

This makes no sense. Not wanting to be known as Toyman's son is not the same thing as throwing away your tech skills. He could change his name and work anywhere, doing what he apparently is good at.

And if Supergirl doesn't want to be known as Superman's cousin: (1) she shouldn't tell people she's Superman's cousin, (2) she shouldn't call herself Supergirl (yeah, I know Cat came up with the name, but she could have squelched that pretty quickly, and (3) don't be a superhero. She obviously wants the connection with Earth's greatest hero, but wants to be recognized for herself. Good luck to her.

Sandy Hausler

No it's not. Using lethal force to protect one's own life and/or the life of others is both morally and--according to the letter of the law--legally acceptable.
    That is...not true.

The law requires civic accountability to determine whether the circumstances justify lethal force. You don't get to decide that for yourself.