Page 14 of 374 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The reasons why he's most likely not Manhunter have nothing to do with powers. It's because using an established character name with "S" history like Henshaw and appending it to a completely different established character like Manhunter doesn't make much story sense. If they were going to do a bait-n-switch, it would make a lot more sense to go the AOS Skye/Daisy route and start with a character that has no recognition factor, to catch the viewers (at least the ones in the know) off-guard. Also, they already did the "Martian Manhunter goes undercover as a human peacekeeper to keep an eye on Kryptonian survivor and help capture escaped Kryptonian criminals" storyline on Smallville. It was a major plot line of the show. Granted, that was a few years ago, but not so long that there wouldn't be a lot of people claiming "ripoff" if they went to that well again.
    But wouldn't it catch viewers off guard who know that comics well (which is a smaller percentage of their viewers than you might think) if Henshaw WAS MM instead of some other character? I mean, for the exact reasons you suggested, it makes sense just because the fans who know the comics story of Henshaw would be taken off guard. And as far as it making much story sense... That is really and arbitrary call. How many times have you watched a show and something was happening that made no sense to you, but after some big story reveal, suddenly everything makes perfect sense. Just because you don't see the sense in it doesn't mean that it won't end up making total sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I mean, for the exact reasons you suggested, it makes sense just because the fans who know the comics story of Henshaw would be taken off guard.
    While it isn't really possible to do a comics-based story in any medium without at some point causing some fan outrage, why would you intentionally do something that would so obviously cause so much fan outrage?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think Hank Henshaw's character traits point to the obvious conclusion that he is based, in part or in whole, on the Henshaw of the comics.

The real mystery will be how they flesh him out, and whether there's a wrinkle in his relationship with Kara along similar lines to Barry and Wells. Because I think he's going to end up liking her pretty well for a xenophobe who wants her dead.

And if I had to guess, I'd say that Aunt Astra's evil plot will push Henshaw over the line when it comes to his feelings about aliens--i.e. they're more trouble than they're worth, even if there's a good one in the bunch every once in a while.

BANNED

But wouldn't it catch viewers off guard who know that comics well (which is a smaller percentage of their viewers than you might think) if Henshaw WAS MM instead of some other character?
    Clearly not, since everyone and their mother seems to be jumping to the conclusion that he's J'onn Jonzz.

And I think my previous comments on the topic have made it pretty clear just how small a clique I think diehard comicbook fandom is, relative to the overall movie/TV audience. But that's not really an issue in this case since using characters from the comics and trying to build some mystery regarding their true identity is clearly something aimed primarily at those viewers in the know, no matter how few their numbers. It's basically an over-sized Easter Egg.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-13-2015 at 10:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    While it isn't really possible to do a comics-based story in any medium without at some point causing some fan outrage, why would you intentionally do something that would so obviously cause so much fan outrage?
    You forget that Henshaw is possibly out there still. MM would likely not have created him, just used his identity to gain access to the DEO. Maybe in the back story we learn that J'onn thinks that Henshaw is dead, but later we discover that he is alive, and transformed into the Cyborg Superman character.

I don't think all fans would be outraged. Nay, I think many fans would simply be excited to see a better version of J'onn J'onzz in Supergirl.

BANNED

You forget that Henshaw is possibly out there still. MM would likely not have created him, just used his identity to gain access to the DEO. Maybe in the back story we learn that J'onn thinks that Henshaw is dead, but later we discover that he is alive, and transformed into the Cyborg Superman character.

I don't think all fans would be outraged. Nay, I think many fans would simply be excited to see a better version of J'onn J'onzz in Supergirl.
    Two things: The more we try to rationalize Henshaw being MM, the more unlikely it seems that the story would actually try to go there. Gets very convoluted very fast. Also, as stated before, I would think the last thing the show creative team would want to do is introduce a recurring male character who is just as powerful as Supergirl. The whole point of the show (and one that is long overdue) is female empowerment and identity.

BANNED

Two things: The more we try to rationalize Henshaw being MM, the more unlikely it seems that the story would actually try to go there. Gets very convoluted very fast. Also, as stated before, I would think the last thing the show creative team would want to do is introduce a recurring male character who is just as powerful as Supergirl. The whole point of the show (and one that is long overdue) is female empowerment and identity.
    While I agree with the overall point, I would point out that if Henshaw were MM (which he's not), there's nothing that says he'd have to be just as powerful as Supergirl. They can manipulate his power levels however they wanted. But, ultimately, that's another brick in the wall why he's not J'onn. Because introducing significantly depowered Manhunter would also set eyes to rolling.

BANNED

Unless there is some factor that de-powered him and he is using the DEO's access to Supergirls ship to work out a way to get back to full power. For every potential point, there is a potential counterpoint.

Basically, we will just have to wait and see what is revealed to be the reasons for his glowing eyes, and what his motivations are.

BANNED

Unless there is some factor that de-powered him and he is using the DEO's access to Supergirls ship to work out a way to get back to full power. For every potential point, there is a potential counterpoint.

Basically, we will just have to wait and see what is revealed to be the reasons for his glowing eyes, and what his motivations are.
    The entire question is really academic, because he is not Martian man Hunter

BANNED

Well, that pretty much always goes without saying, doesn't it? We never really know what's going to happen until it happens. But since we already know that, that's not really what this discussion is about.

Basically, you (and others) keep stating cases for how Henshaw could be J'onn J'onzz. But how is not the issue. There are a million story paths they could take to make Henshaw into J'onn, if that's what they wanted to do. The point being put forth here is that there's no particularly good reason why they would want to do that, and several good reasons why they wouldn't.

BANNED

The entire question is really academic, because he is not Martian man Hunter
    So you are on the production staff and can state that with 100% certainty? I have said it before, and I will say it again... Never say Never.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Well, that pretty much always goes without saying, doesn't it? We never really know what's going to happen until it happens. But since we already know that, that's not really what this discussion is about.

Basically, you (and others) keep stating cases for how Henshaw could be J'onn J'onzz. But how is not the issue. There are a million story paths they could take to make Henshaw into J'onn, if that's what they wanted to do. The point being put forth here is that there's no particularly good reason why they would want to do that, and several good reasons why they wouldn't.
    Again... that is up to the writers and producers... Just because you see no good reason why they would want to make him MM doesn't mean that they don't have a good reason that will be revealed in story. None of this is based on any insider information or reported rumors, it's basically just the first thing that jumped to my mind when Henshaws eyes glowed red. And if he is the Cyborg Superman... they are deviating from his traditional look of having one human eye and one cyborg eye.

I freely acknowledge that it could be either way... We just have to wait and see.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Does J'onn "traditionally" have glowing red eyes? (No.)

Has J'onn ever had glowing red eyes? (When he's using Martian vision, I guess. And, sometimes they're just red.)

So... I think he's secretly Bat Lash.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

Martian Manhunter would be my guess - especially given his "knowing" what Alex was up to.

Meanwhile, he makes a very good point about Supergirl and Superman both -that people are afraid of them though it is not popular to say so.

And really, why wouldn't they be?

If I live through the day, it's because of Superman. Not necessarily whether he saves me, but rather whether he decides not to kill me.

With any normal person if they decided to kill me, I have two options: fight or flight. Neither of these make a difference to a person born on Krypton.

Fight? How? With a gun? No, bulletproof. Lacking a piece of incredibly rare radioactive material or a more conventional nuclear weapon I am toast.

Flight? Equally pointless. These guys can LIITERALLY fly, and at faster than sound. Hiding is just as futile thanks to X-ray vision and super-hearing.

Think about what it is like to live in a world with somebody who could kill you at any moment on a whim, and there was absolutely nothing you could do to stop it. It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing. You continue breathing only by their good graces or the hope that you are too small to notice. Even at the height of the Cold War, with fear at it's height, it was not the decision of just one person as to whether to end the lives of millions with them having no way to prevent it.

When you think about it, one of the most incredible things you see on these shows is that new people actually dare to say anything bad about a Kryptonian.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Oh, and privacy is just a word meaning "nobody from Krypton had a reason to want to know what you were doing."

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Did Supergirl just say she has been in 12 planets?