Page 152 of 374 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 5596
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    The writing for Felicity was a huge problem in seasons 3 and 4. Sure, she was great in the first two seasons but it wasn't in our faces like it would later be. It's like the Minions, fine in small doses but a whole movie will drive you bananas. You can have chemistry, but if one half of the couple is written to be a saint the viewers won't like it.
    The biggest problem, IMO, is that Emily Bett Rickards is not that good with the emotionally serious parts. She does cute and amusing very well, though.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's a lot more fun when you can see something in a story and make up your own subtext. When it's just part of the story, that takes it out of the fans' hands and ruins all the fun that the audience was having with it.
    You know, I'm generally impervious to this sort of thing. Goes right over my head until it is specifically spelled out in the show. And even I thought that the creators of the show were pushing a Kara/Lena ship hard.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Greedy? Is there a law saying you can only have one gay couple on the show?
    No law, but there is an economic disincentive in regard to changing the sexuality of popular mainstream characters. It's one thing to change Alan Scott's sexual preference, but Supergirl's? We all know there would be a backlash and DC/WB/Supergirl merchandising would not handle it well. It may not be fair and/or right, but it is what it is.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Wah wah poor babies.
    shipping is serious business.

/S

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

/S
    Shipping is a mental illness. Especially when they think they have ownership of a character. I understand wanting to see your self in the story but demanding a character be changed to for a narrative you think you see is just too far. And claiming you are being mocked because some tells you it's never gonna happen. Isn't that kinda like nice guy syndrome. "I have watched this show and supported this show. You mislead me and now you owe me."

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Alex and Maggie isn't good enough? They basically changed Alex from having no explicit orientation in season one to having a clearly defined orientation in season two.
    Having Kara and Lena gay too is just getting greedy. After all, there are still straight people in the world too.
    They made up the character of Alex and then chose her orientation. I have no problem with multiple lesbian couples on the same show. Plus Maggie isn't going to be a main character anymore

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You know, I'm generally impervious to this sort of thing. Goes right over my head until it is specifically spelled out in the show. And even I thought that the creators of the show were pushing a Kara/Lena ship hard.
    In all the Chris Claremont/John Byrne X-Men stories, I thought there was a lesbian subtext between all the female characters. But maybe that's the only way they knew how to write female to female relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

/S
    Shipping ain't easy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Shipping is a mental illness. Especially when they think they have ownership of a character. I understand wanting to see your self in the story but demanding a character be changed to for a narrative you think you see is just too far. And claiming you are being mocked because some tells you it's never gonna happen. Isn't that kinda like nice guy syndrome. "I have watched this show and supported this show. You mislead me and now you owe me."
    exactly

that attitude permeates the fandom

Shippers gonna ship .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Greedy? Is there a law saying you can only have one gay couple on the show?
    You are never going to make everyone happy. All season long there was one group complaining about the one gay relationship on the show,
    how it was a bad influence for children, how it should just be a superhero show. Now you have a different group complaining about there
    not being enough gay relationships on the show. It seems this show gets far more crap than any other show on TV.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You are never going to make everyone happy. All season long there was one group complaining about the one gay relationship on the show,
    how it was a bad influence for children, how it should just be a superhero show. Now you have a different group complaining about there
    not being enough gay relationships on the show. It seems this show gets far more crap than any other show on TV.
    Sounds like Parks and Recreation's Time Capsule episode. One man wanted to put Twilight in the capsule. but two people protested due to religion. One said it wasn't Christian, but the other said it was too Christian.

Retired

I was really impressed early in the season when they introduced the alien bar, because that was a place where they could explore some hot issues through metaphor. And in that way SUPERGIRL could challenge some old prejudices and open up the younger viewers to greater acceptance of others.

I don't think, however, that the alien bar was always used to its best advantage and the writers weren't subtle enough in hitting on those themes. Those of us who understand the metaphor will get it without being hit over the head and people whose minds could be changed wouldn't put up their defences if it was done with some finesse.

So maybe the lesbian relationship angle could have been introduced through a human-alien story. And the multiple orientations of aliens better reflects how I see the world--it's not so simplistic and there's a fluidity in how we relate to others, not just sexually but mentally, emotionally, politically and culturally.

The show could have narrowed in on this through Daxam--given the whole season spent so much time on those aliens. Daxam already has some contrasts with Krypton, but I get the sense that the gender roles on Daxam are distnct from those on Krypton.

It's too bad Kevin Sorbo got killed off, because his character seemed more progressive than Teri Hatcher's--it would have been cool to have him return. Don't rule out an identical twin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was really impressed early in the season when they introduced the alien bar, because that was a place where they could explore some hot issues through metaphor. And in that way SUPERGIRL could challenge some old prejudices and open up the younger viewers to greater acceptance of others.

I don't think, however, that the alien bar was always used to its best advantage and the writers weren't subtle enough in hitting on those themes. Those of us who understand the metaphor will get it without being hit over the head and people whose minds could be changed wouldn't put up their defences if it was done with some finesse.

So maybe the lesbian relationship angle could have been introduced through a human-alien story. And the multiple orientations of aliens better reflects how I see the world--it's not so simplistic and there's a fluidity in how we relate to others, not just sexually but mentally, emotionally, politically and culturally.
    Wrong metaphore. The bar isn't a metaphor for a gay bar, and the aliens aren't metaphors for LGBT people. They're metaphors (so thin you can't really call it that IMO) for immigrants, illegal and otherwise.

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

It ain't gonna happen, but I'd be down with a Kara and Lena relationship. Like someone else mentioned, it almost seemed like the show-runners were going in that direction.

As for Jimmy, Guardian or not, they gotta do something with him and have him on the show a little more often, even if it's in a small capacity here and there on some episodes. I like the character and found it very unfortunate that he missed eps here and there last season.