Page 16 of 374 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    BANNED

OMG so...they totally used the word "bomb" like...twice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Hah I mean thay the character is no longer alive or at least not in her life. Was hoping to see dean cain more
    Pretty sure this storyline set us up for a LOT of Dean Cain, particularly after the winter break.

BANNED

Solid episode. Helen Slater is always a nice presence on TV. Also nice to see Brit Morgan; been a fan of hers since The Middleman. She's one of those actors I always think should have a much higher profile than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    And the foreshadowing that spoilers:
    the DEO is up to nefarious deeds and ends
    end of spoilers should hopefully put an end to the silly speculation that Henshaw is really Martian Manhunter.

LOL just kidding. The silliness will continue until half his face is a robot.
    Dude, maybe it was originally evil until MM replaced evil Hank.

Y'know, if this had been Flash, we probably would have had Wells or someone at STAR Labs tell Barry to use the pipes/water to beat Livewire, rather then see the hero figure it out for themselves like Supergirl did here. Go Kara .

I'm actually really surprised that the show's adaption of Livewire was so accurate, especially considering how comic TV shows have generally handled and adapted villains, though I guess her status as a negative radio pundit is still fairly contemporary and thus works quite well on TV. I thought for a second there that after Supergirl had blasted her with water, Leslie's hair would've been stuck in the same pointy hairstyle as Livewire's traditionally been depicted with, but it seems it's back to normal by the time she's in DEO custody. I thought she was a fairly fun and effective villain here, so I'd be totally down with seeing Livewire make a return appearance down the line .

And Livewire was, for my money, a much better electricity-based villain in live-action then Electro was in the Amazing Spider-Man 2 .

Jeez...Henshaw was going to forcibly recruit Kara into the DEO, when she was still just a little girl, just to have a Superman level operative in their organization. That's rough. It's probably stuff like that which made Superman and Jeremiah want nothing to do with the DEO.

This show seems to use the "coming out" phrase quite a bit, yet not at all in the context I'm used to hearing it in. I was almost expecting the show to reveal that Alex is a lesbian, which for all we know she just might be, before I realized Kara was talking about Alex's DEO membership.

Seeing Cat in a kinder, softer light and with quite a bit more depth then she's traditionally seen with was pretty nice. She even seems to be changing how she runs CatCo or the news, going for a more positive direction rather then focusing on scandal or deprecation. I wonder how much of this development is also building off from the skipped episode with her son appearing?

It also seems like she's starting to really like and get along with Kara now, which is cool. Though she still has no idea who Winn is..,

Man, James really towers over Lucy. I wonder if he was still that much taller then her when she and Jimmy first started dating?

So Jeremiah's not only Kara's Jonathan Kent in role, as her adoptive father, but he also supposedly died while she was still young, just like Pa Kent tends to do in live-action adaptions.
    Last edited by Frontier; 11-16-2015 at 10:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This show seems to use the "coming out" phrase quite a bit, yet not at all in the context I'm used to hearing it in. I was almost expecting the show to reveal that Alex is a lesbian, which for all we know she just might be, before I realized Kara was talking about Alex's DEO membership.
    I was half-expecting us to find out that Olsen was in the restaurant and overheard all the "coming out" talk; mistaken sexual orientation hijinks to ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seeing Cat in a kinder, softer light and with quite a bit more depth then she's traditionally seen with was pretty nice. She even seems to be changing how she runs CatCo or the news, going for a more positive direction rather then focusing on scandal or deprecation. I wonder how much of this development is also building off from the skipped episode with her son appearing?
    If I remember the posted description of the pulled episode right, it seems very likely that Supergirl saved the life of Cat's son, which was probably the catalyst for her "kinder, gentler" stance on the Maid of Might (I really hope someone calls her that).

Incredible Member

This was a good enough episode and like others have said I really liked seeing the softer side of Cat, but there was one moment that gave me pause- Live Wire using whiplash energy bolts against Supergirl immediately made me think that this literally wouldn't be happening were it not for the racetrack scene in "Iron Man 2." It was virtually identical. Plus last week Reactron also briefly reminded me of Whiplash in that movie. What gives?

But meanwhile, a former Superman and Supergirl playing Kara's adoptive parents, the former tv Flash playing the father of the current one- lot of that going around, and it's always a great nod to the fans.
    Last edited by Kensei; 11-17-2015 at 01:59 AM.

The dialogue seems obsessed with Superman, and simultaneously obsessed with distancing itself from Superman. Much of the dialogue comes across as artificial and weird and stilted and defensive as a result. It's like the writers are talking at imaginary trolling fan-boys, constantly begging them to not judge her to be just Superman-lite, and shouting them down for doing so anyway. Which feels so weird because, speaking as a comics fanboy, I was and am perfectly content to judge her on her own merits, and never had the attitude the writers implicitly imagine me to have. Please writers, please quit quasi-breaking the fourth wall and wearing your neurosis on your sleeve. WTB naturalistic dialogue.

Fantastic Member

I dislike how Calista Flockhart's upper lip is frozen in place by botox and found this extremely noticeable in last night's episode. I seriously wish aging actresses would just stop this. It just looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I dislike how Calista Flockhart's upper lip is frozen in place by botox and found this extremely noticeable in last night's episode. I seriously wish aging actresses would just stop this. It just looks awful.
    I felt the same way when I first saw the new and improved Nicole Kidman.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Ultimate Member

"You have all the wit of a Youtube comment." Ok, that line was really funny. I was quite impressed with the effects for Livewire's powers overall, and this is definitely the best that Cat Grant has been so far. They let Calista show more layers to her personality.

BANNED

Nice to see Supergirl's rating nudge up a bit this week. Could be from the real world publicity but who knows. It's still the network's second highest show, and yesterday pulled in 45% more viewers than Gotham. That's pretty incredible. Will be interesting to see what the +3 numbers do.

Oh, and complaining about the stiffness of some actress' lip is about as attractive as complaining about the size of her boobs, or the gray in Cain's beard. Just stop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronDuck View Post
    I'm a little concerned that the promo for next week did not look like a promo for episode 4.
    There's never been any indication that episode 4 was bumped for only one week. I personally expect to see it as either that last episode of the winter break, or the first episode after the break.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightMage View Post
    ...and now we have a reason why the Danvers and Hank Henshaw might lock horns a lot sooner than we think (although I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremiah does show up near the end, he lets everyone know he "died" because he suspected that Henshaw is more than he let on, needed to go off the grid and Superman had a hand in keeping him "dead" to the world).
    I personally expect to see Jeremiah a lot in the second half of the season. I don't think they'd sign up Dean Cain for a few cameos, and I'm not sure Dean would do it.

It seems the most relevant events to happen in episode 4 were:

- James and Lucy getting back together.

- Kara meeting and saving Cat's son and that instigating some character development for Cat.

So I don't think we missed too much by skipping it, unless there was some big revelation there that this episode didn't really follow up on...