Page 176 of 374 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 5596
    Retired

There have always been several things that felt wrong to me about Peter Parker/Spider-Man--from the very first time I was exposed to the character as a little kid. One of those things was that Pete was a photo-journalist not because it was his calling, but simply because he could make money from the gig to pay for other things. As a working class kid this felt wrong to me. Taking photos for a big city newspaper surely is not an easy job to get--that's the kind of job they just don't hand out to random kids off the street. And it wasn't even what he really wanted to do with his life--his belly aching about the job made it all the more insulting. So he was just slumming as a photo-journalist because he really wanted to be a scientist. Another annoying aspect of the Peter Parker character added to all the other things that got my goat. He was the Ted Mosby of comic book super-heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There have always been several things that felt wrong to me about Peter Parker/Spider-Man--from the very first time I was exposed to the character as a little kid. One of those things was that Pete was a photo-journalist not because it was his calling, but simply because he could make money from the gig to pay for other things. As a working class kid this felt wrong to me. Taking photos for a big city newspaper surely is not an easy job to get--that's the kind of job they just don't hand out to random kids off the street. And it wasn't even what he really wanted to do with his life--his belly aching about the job made it all the more insulting. So he was just slumming as a photo-journalist because he really wanted to be a scientist. Another annoying aspect of the Peter Parker character added to all the other things that got my goat. He was the Ted Mosby of comic book super-heroes.
    I feel like photography is a job he eventually grew into and enjoyed in it's own way, particularly when he started to settle into, and that was beneficial as far as both giving him some kind of steady income despite his Superhero status and also afforded him opportunities as Spider-Man that he would have never had otherwise.

Certainly Jameson never made it easy for him though, in more ways then one.

Caity Lotz did a thing on her Instagram during the filming of the Crisis story, along with Chyler Leigh and Stephen Amell--where Caity and Chyler explained that they don't write the show. Some of their fans I guess are upset about the leaked plot for their characters.

I was going to mention it here back then, but I thought it was too much of a spoiler.
    Here's a video link for anyone who wants to watch it. But beware of any spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ0ZZD-AG1c
    Kinda sad this needs to be explained to so-called adults.

Astonishing Member

Yeah it's a bit off topic but it was less supposed to be some awful thing but to be viewed like a part time job that paid the bills until he could do what he really loved. A shining example of we can't always do what we love immediately but it doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever either.

Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne's Jackie Harris and The Big Bang Theory's Mary Cooper, Sheldon's mom) will play Winn's mother in an upcoming episode.

"Laurie Metcalf has landed a guest spot on The CW drama, playing the estranged mother of Jeremy Jordan’s Winn Schott, TVLine has learned. We’ll meet her in the 15th episode of the season,
    which will air sometime in 2018. Supergirl previously introduced Winn’s father, the villainous Toyman, during Season 1. (Let’s hope this reunion goes more smoothly.)"

http://tvline.com/2017/11/09/supergi...on-3-spoilers/

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne's Jackie Harris and The Big Bang Theory's Mary Cooper, Sheldon's mom) will play Winn's mother in an upcoming episode.

"Laurie Metcalf has landed a guest spot on The CW drama, playing the estranged mother of Jeremy Jordan’s Winn Schott, TVLine has learned. We’ll meet her in the 15th episode of the season,
    which will air sometime in 2018. Supergirl previously introduced Winn’s father, the villainous Toyman, during Season 1. (Let’s hope this reunion goes more smoothly.)"

http://tvline.com/2017/11/09/supergi...on-3-spoilers/
    Be kind of weird to have a family reunion without Toyman showing up as well...

Fantastic Member

I'm sort of annoyed at the inconsistency of Kara's powers, especially her strength. A couple of episodes ago, she lifts an entire, enormous submarine out of the water, apparently with very little effort. In the latest episode, she has problems holding onto both sides of an airplane that has fallen apart. Huh? Given that the airplane is, literally, hundreds of times less massive than the sub, that makes no sense at all. And, of course, Supergirl has shown incredible strength before, like when she lifted Fort Ros into space.

Overall, I'm enjoying the slow burn with Reign.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I'm sort of annoyed at the inconsistency of Kara's powers, especially her strength. A couple of episodes ago, she lifts an entire, enormous submarine out of the water, apparently with very little effort. In the latest episode, she has problems holding onto both sides of an airplane that has fallen apart. Huh? Given that the airplane is, literally, hundreds of times less massive than the sub, that makes no sense at all. And, of course, Supergirl has shown incredible strength before, like when she lifted Fort Ros into space.

Overall, I'm enjoying the slow burn with Reign.
    Well, to be fair, Supergirl was so strong she literally ripped a plane in half and then quickly had to deal with the consequences. And in the other cases she was pushing a much sturdier object upwards
    instead of trying to hang onto two falling objects at the same time. And the plane was much more fragile, so exerting too much force would have caused it to crumble even more. You could see in one scene
    where the metal was starting to crumple I don't think it was she wasn't strong enough, but maybe too strong. So just having to deal with one piece meant she could calibrate all her strength and attention
    on that one piece. After all she was easily able to take the burning tail section safely to shore once she no longer had to deal with the nose section too. There was a lot going on there, holding two pieces
    of an airplane, one piece on fire and containing deadly chemicals, and the other holding a dear friend she didn't want to let die. So I can forgive Supergirl for having to nerf her powers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I'm sort of annoyed at the inconsistency of Kara's powers, especially her strength.
    Inconsistency of powers is a hallmark of Superman on film (and often in comics). He is so powerful that nothing is really a challenge to him, so his abilities need to be constantly modified to make the current scene interesting. Supergirl is no different.

It's why I would love to see a period piece of Superman in the late 30s, with the power set he had at the time. He would be so much more interesting (and consistent). As would his cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Inconsistency of powers is a hallmark of Superman on film (and often in comics). He is so powerful that nothing is really a challenge to him, so his abilities need to be constantly modified to make the current scene interesting. Supergirl is no different.

It's why I would love to see a period piece of Superman in the late 30s, with the power set he had at the time. He would be so much more interesting (and consistent). As would his cousin.
    You'd have to get rid of all the flying stuff. At first Superman could just jump very high, hence the phrase "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound." It was only until the Fleischer cartoons in
    the 40s that Superman flew, because apparently it was easier to animate flying than jumping. I'm not sure we want to give up flying. It would just be Smallville again.

But there are times I too get annoyed at how Supergirl gets nerfed down to make other characters look good. I can deal with the airplane in my head, she had too many things going on at once
    to devote her full concentration on both halves. The one that annoyed me the most was last season's "Ace Reporter" where the Biomax nanabots had her pinned to a cross and Lena Luthor
    had to save her. Just how could a bunch of tiny robots be that powerful? And even if Supergirl couldn't free herself from them, why not just break the cross itself and then deal with them.
    Why not melt them with her heat vision? Up super speed and spin around very fast to fling them off. Only because the plot called for Lena to have to choose between saving Jack and Supergirl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You'd have to get rid of all the flying stuff. At first Superman could just jump very high, hence the phrase "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound." It was only until the Fleischer cartoons in
    the 40s that Superman flew, because apparently it was easier to animate flying than jumping. I'm not sure we want to give up flying. It would just be Smallville again.
    Of all Superman's powers, flying is the first one I could do without. I've always thought he looked silly flying. He has no way to get inertia. I don't want to see Smallville either. Superman should jump around like Hulk, or like the early reboot Morrison issues of Superman a few years back.

BANNED

On another subject, tonight's episode is painfully boring.

They just name checked Chloe and the Wall Of Weird. I'd love for Chloe to show up on the show but no way can Allison Mack play her. I suggest Larisa Oleynik
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    On another subject, tonight's episode is painfully boring.
    We're all entitled to our wrong opinions

Matt "peace out suckas"

So the fbi agent is it astra or is it John pretending to look like her mom. Edit it's john
    Last edited by Qwerty; 11-13-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Matt "peace out suckas"