Page 179 of 374 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Ha! Love me some Easter Eggs! Chloe and the Wall of Weird! Noelle Neil (although wouldn't Phyllis Coates make more sense? She's Erica Durance's Grandmother Lois)! And best of all...the red trunks have been confirmed! I guess in this universe, Clark, using his superhearing, probably overheard one too many high schoolers mocking him so he decided to get rid of them.

Did they really have to name the kid "Kenny"? Every time someone said "Killed Kenny", I thought of South Park. Poor kid, though, he didn't even get to kiss Kara. I kind of liked this flashback and all, but it could've been better used to parallel what was going on in the present day. Alex made a very good point about how Kara wanted to cheer her up but only on her terms with imaginary guidelines and Alex never really agreed to it. Plus she had a point about how long Kara was mopey over Mon-El. Then we get the flashback and then at the very end of the episode, they joke about car keys, drive back to National City, and sing along with the radio. Just because we saw them bond for the first time in the past doesn't resolve their issues in the present.

I liked both actresses, Alex's really felt like she could grow up to be present day Alex. Kara's was good as well, although during some of it, I felt like she could pass for a teenage Sara Lance.

That was disturbingly manipulative. At first I thought the coincidence was too great, but then it turns out J'onn did that because he knew Kara would listen to someone who looked like her mother. It was sad to see Kara tell her she loves her in Kryptonian.

If she tried, she probably would've blown a hole in the toilet. Couldn't Alex have woken up five minutes earlier?
    Well thankyou for that horrific bit of imagery
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

I'm amused by the # of people comparing the episode to Riverdale which I can understand but it's such a generalized teen trope drama here and there the similarities are almost givens rather than ones I'd feel are obvious plays on one another.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I'm amused by the # of people comparing the episode to Riverdale which I can understand but it's such a generalized teen trope drama here and there the similarities are almost givens rather than ones I'd feel are obvious plays on one another.
    I guess I could see where they would get a Riverdale vibe (I mean, they lived in Midvale), but it seemed like much more of a homage to Smallville (right down to Chloe factoring into the plot).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Of course. It predates the CW by decades and Riverdale that much longer.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I could see where they would get a Riverdale vibe (I mean, they lived in Midvale), but it seemed like much more of a homage to Smallville (right down to Chloe factoring into the plot).
    It was definitely an homage and a nicely done one, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

S3E06 - "Midvale"

Yeah, this one reads as simply and lazily as "SMALLVILLE meets RIVERDALE".

Great casting of their younger selves for Kara and Alex. They definitely looked the part. The story was fine, your basic whodunit combined with the reliable awkwardness of adolescence angle (with super-powers thrown in, of course). I'm a little hazy on how old Kara was when she landed vs how old she was when Jeremiah was basically taken away and how old she was supposed to be in this episode.

I don't think any comic book TV show has ever passed the Bechdel Test as much and as often as this episode did. Seriously, there wasn't a single male character who wasn't a turd or a corpse by the end of this episode. Which was fine for this one episode, which is clearly a one-off in terms of format.

Young Kara and Young Alex had fairly legitimate/adolescent beef with each other. here I honestly was hoping Kenny would turn out to be named Kenny Braverman, survive the attack somehow, and we'd get this show's interpretation of Conduit in the present day. Alas, just a tragically dead body.

Liked Erica Durance's guest spot as Agent Noel Neill (caught that immediately). Hated that it was just J'onn secretly messing with Kara's head. The idea probably came from a good place (and hopefully not originally from Clark), but this kind of deception and manipulation is never a good thing. Highly unethical regardless of the outcome.

Helen Slater as Eliza gave her best performance so far in this show. The corrupt cop was forgettable (and telegraphed way too obviously).

Liked the inclusion of an unseen Chloe Sullivan, all Evil Alison Mack incidents IRL aside.

So, Earth-38's Superman initially wore the trunks, eh? Well, he definitely could now use an improved belt at least.

Speaking of Superman, this episode basically exposed the clear continuity problems between Season 1 Supes and Season 2 Supes. Season 1 Supes (shadowy no-face) straight-up abandoned Kara to the Danvers and apparently had little to no contact with her since. Season 2 Supes (Tyler Hoechlin) has a warm, familiar relationship with Kara and kept inviting her to the Fortress all along, which she kept declining. This episode tries to tie the two contradicting backstories together by having Kara be obsessed with Superman and longing to live with Clark and temporarily resenting the fact that she lives with the Danvers instead of with him. It almost works.

Which crystallized something for me: going forward (in future Superverse projects), I want Clark to immediately take Kara in under his wing upon her arrival, or at the very least, have the Kents alive to help Kara adapt to Earth while he visits her everyday. She should be his responsibility, first and foremost. There is no one else on the planet even half as qualified as him to guide her.

There is nothing the Danvers can do for Kara that couldn't be grafted onto the Kents or Clark himself. And I'm including Alex in that. She's basically a second-rate Barbara Gordon in my eyes, anyway.

Bottom line: not a bad episode, kinda like a bottle episode, but not representative of the show, and exposes problematic storylines. Average.

Grade: C

I like the current Supergirl series well enough. But if there wasn't already a Supergirl series this would have been a great pilot episode and more in tune with a CW type show.
    Just a few alterations would have made it work. Obviously skip the parts with adult Kara and Alex. And then the only real change would be that instead of Kara being told
    to keep her powers a secret, those close to her would realize that she could do good after all. The final act would be Eliza presenting Kara with a Supergirl costume that she
    made for Kara. Then the final scene is Kara flying about, hearing something, and rescuing a cat from a tree and giving it to a little girl. Though in a way this sounds a bit too
    much like Smallville, so that might be a big criticism from some people. But I think it would be something people would watch anyway, especially people who were too young
    too have watched Smallville or just had never watched it. The only real problem with Smallville is the actors outgrew the characters and what started out as teens in high school
    just devolved into a standard Superman series without Superman. Having a Superman (Supergirl) from the very beginning would have fixed the problem of when will Superman
    (Supergirl) finally show up.

Extraordinary Member

Just couldn't get into this episode, hopefully they stay focused in the present from here on out. Unless they do a ep where Kara is a toddler using her powers that would be really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Just couldn't get into this episode, hopefully they stay focused in the present from here on out. Unless they do a ep where Kara is a toddler using her powers that would be really funny.
    Kara's only been on Earth since she was 13-15 (somewhere in there), so they would need some 5th dimensional Imp hi jinx to pull that off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I like the current Supergirl series well enough. But if there wasn't already a Supergirl series this would have been a great pilot episode and more in tune with a CW type show.
    Amusingly this whole episode to me felt like it could've worked as a kind of series finale especially the way it ended prior to the stingers/previews etc... It was quite literally the main duo reminiscing about the past and driving off happily. With even a guest appearance by space dad, always protecting his little girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Kara's only been on Earth since she was 13-15 (somewhere in there), so they would need some 5th dimensional Imp hi jinx to pull that off.
    In the pilot episode Kara said she was trapped in the phantom zone for 24 years where time doesn't pass and was still 13 years old when she got to Earth.
    So I took that to mean she was 13 years old when she left Krypton. Anyway she looked the same when she left Krypton as she did when she got to Earth,
    a teenage girl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about that.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline....202188147/amp/

I hate to say it but they should just recast Max Lord. I love Peter but if he won't come back. They recast the mom/aunt and the younger versions of the girls. If say Walton Goggins if he wasn't busy with Vice Principals

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/deadline....202188147/amp/

I hate to say it but they should just recast Max Lord. I love Peter but if he won't come back. They recast the mom/aunt and the younger versions of the girls. If say Walton Goggins if he wasn't busy with Vice Principals
    If they were going to deal with Lord (or Lucy for that matter) I think they probably would have by now.

Edge is pretty much filling Lord's role, albeit far more villainous and without Lord's science background.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If they were going to deal with Lord (or Lucy for that matter) I think they probably would have by now.

Edge is pretty much filling Lord's role, albeit far more villainous and without Lord's science background.
    Yeah I know

Matt "peace out suckas"