Page 217 of 374 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    I liked J'onn's story with his father. However...

Lena is making a BIG mistake with Reign. This will only end in her either being in danger, or her pissing off Supergirl.

Speaking of, I didn't like the big confrontation with her and Mon-El. For starters, it came off as fanservicey to those who hate Mon-El and his relationship with her. This article in particular pissed me off:https://io9.gizmodo.com/supergirl-ma...for-1825486463.

Really? NO ONE ACTED LIKE MON-EL WAS ALWAYS RIGHT AND PERFECT. In fact, throughout season two, he would make dumb mistakes and get called out by everyone, especially Kara. He didn't want to be a superhero; he was called out on that. He never listened to Kara; he was called out on that. He wanted to kill Mxy instead of banishing him; he was called out. He lied to Kara about who he really was; he was not only called out for that, but he was dumped. There was only one time he was remotely in the right about something (the whole thing with trusting Kara and Alex's dad too easily), and he was still in the wrong for that in terms of his behavior. Jimmy and Alex took months to believe that he wasn't selfish, and Winn told him to his face that he was a terrible boyfriend. Meanwhile, Kara would be the first person to yell at him for how horrible he was being. The show took great pains to show that Mon-El was a screw-up that needed to learn, yet the fans all act like he was treated like a god to improve Kara, instead of the other way around.
    Now, that obviously doesn't make for a good relationship, nor does it make for good tv-watching. But, my god, everyone is acting like he was somehow an abusive boyfriend that walked all over Kara. First of all, Kara would never allow that. Second, all of the stuff she mentioned that she was still pissed off at him for happened BEFORE he was even a romantic option that she considered. Third, if he was really that bad, then people on other CW shows (Oliver!) are to be avoided. Don't get me wrong; Kara should realize that their relationship wasn't perfect. But, to have come about because he was helping her like she asked him to do?

How about this: Kara gets resentful because she realizes that Imra is with the better version of Mon-El than she was. Now that could make for something compelling.
    1000% agreed, BUT, could this be the work of the new showrunner?

I for one am totally honest that I hated the old Mon-El (and would go straight back to hating him if he and Kara would come back together), so yeah, enjoyed it :P

Aside from that, a really great, if tragic episode.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yes it was, but was anyone else thinking when Alex and Kara were doing the walk and talk earlier in the episode "Look! There's Checkov's detention block!"? I mean, have we even seen that before this episode?

Minor quibble, but the animation for the fight between J'onn and the White Martian looked pretty bad.

Loved Mon El's suit.
    Yup, the CGI in that scene was pretty awful.

Really good episode, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The fact that Mxyzptlk proves 5th Dimensional Imps exist makes me think that Zook was real and that J'onn was going on 5th Dimensional adventures even as a child, he's just too humble to admit it .

Incredible Member

IMO, it was one of the best episodes of the season/series, and again, Martian Manhunter was one of the main characters. The story between him and his father was very emotional. Samantha reaction to the truth was also a good scene. Oh Lena, you really act like a Luthor sometimes. I didnīt realize how much I missed Samantha and Lena (and she looks even prettier without so much make-up).

I have liked Mon-El since the beginning because he wanted to be a better person. Yeah, at the beginning it was only because he wanted to impress Kara, and he was a jerk, but he really changed.

So, an episode where Martian Manhunter, Mon-El, Kara, Lena, and Samantha have something to do is a very good one for me, since they are my favorite characters. It was even better because Alex, Winn, and James were minor characters.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 04-24-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Lena's relationship with Jimmy and the others is doomed. Can't see the logic in her continuing to keep this a secret, guess she's gonna live up to her Luthor roots after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The fact that Mxyzptlk proves 5th Dimensional Imps exist makes me think that Zook was real and that J'onn was going on 5th Dimensional adventures even as a child, he's just too humble to admit it .
    Now I want Larry to pop up in Titans when that begins. Even as a mention.

Okay, this has to be one of the funniest openings of the show. The charades with Martian shape-shifting, Kara carefully taking off her shirt because she doesn't want to damage it, and the fight with the alien in the picture booth.

My heart continues to break for the J'Onnzz family. Every scene with the two of them really hit the right notes. I liked his power causing the DEO to flip out like that. I have been wondering on and off if other scientists who have been with the DEO longer resent Winn for seemingly being given more authority and more tasks to do just because he's Supergirl's pal. Not that he hasn't earned it because he's smart, but I could see others not liking him.

I continue to enjoy seeing Mon-El in costume (but with all this mention of Imra and Brainy, we need to bring the others back!), and it was cool to actually see the cape used as a weapon and a legitimate strategy for Supergirl to use the next time she goes up against Reign. I think Edna Mode needs to take a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Neither of those seem like reasons why the current Supergirl has to consistently be portrayed as weaker than they were. The writers on both of those shows were able to create drama easily enough (for the most part) without it always being about Superman/Clark being the one in trouble. Course, because they were male leads, both shows often fell back on the default story-telling devices of having the female characters as the archetypal damsels.

And that's the real tragedy. Because twenty/ten years later, another Supershow is still falling back on those old tropes - except now it's putting its own female lead character in the most peril!
    If we're talking proportional rescues and being rescued, at least we can make the argument that Alex, one of the female leads, is one of the characters that usually comes out better looking than the others. She's seen more battle and shows more competency than James, Mon-El, and J'onn.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yes it was, but was anyone else thinking when Alex and Kara were doing the walk and talk earlier in the episode "Look! There's Checkov's detention block!"? I mean, have we even seen that before this episode?
    I was thinking the same thing. There's no way we'd see aliens just pop up like that without them reappearing later in the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Really? NO ONE ACTED LIKE MON-EL WAS ALWAYS RIGHT AND PERFECT. In fact, throughout season two, he would make dumb mistakes and get called out by everyone, especially Kara. He didn't want to be a superhero; he was called out on that. He never listened to Kara; he was called out on that. He wanted to kill Mxy instead of banishing him; he was called out. He lied to Kara about who he really was; he was not only called out for that, but he was dumped. There was only one time he was remotely in the right about something (the whole thing with trusting Kara and Alex's dad too easily), and he was still in the wrong for that in terms of his behavior. Jimmy and Alex took months to believe that he wasn't selfish, and Winn told him to his face that he was a terrible boyfriend. Meanwhile, Kara would be the first person to yell at him for how horrible he was being. The show took great pains to show that Mon-El was a screw-up that needed to learn, yet the fans all act like he was treated like a god to improve Kara, instead of the other way around.
    Now, that obviously doesn't make for a good relationship, nor does it make for good tv-watching. But, my god, everyone is acting like he was somehow an abusive boyfriend that walked all over Kara. First of all, Kara would never allow that. Second, all of the stuff she mentioned that she was still pissed off at him for happened BEFORE he was even a romantic option that she considered. Third, if he was really that bad, then people on other CW shows (Oliver!) are to be avoided. Don't get me wrong; Kara should realize that their relationship wasn't perfect. But, to have come about because he was helping her like she asked him to do?
    You've got a point. I mean, Kara wasn't in her right mind when she unloaded all that stuff on Mon-El, but why bring up the stuff that happened before they were dating? She said it's messed up that she had to vouch for Mon-El to get him a job at CatCo when all he did was sleep with Eve when she did his work for him. He went through a lot of character growth after that, so why is it still bothering her? Because he never apologized? He made an effort to change, but it's not good enough if he doesn't actually say "sorry"?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For a second I thought that was going to be the reveal of this episode, that Zook is back and just trying to play a game with J'onn and his poor father got caught in the middle.

BANNED

Wait wait...Last week Mr'ynn was a wasted character I thought...?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    You've got a point. I mean, Kara wasn't in her right mind when she unloaded all that stuff on Mon-El, but why bring up the stuff that happened before they were dating? She said it's messed up that she had to vouch for Mon-El to get him a job at CatCo when all he did was sleep with Eve when she did his work for him. He went through a lot of character growth after that, so why is it still bothering her? Because he never apologized? He made an effort to change, but it's not good enough if he doesn't actually say "sorry"?
    I think what it was that, after she was forced to send him away, she kind of pushed all of the bad things about Mon El into a box in her mind and just remembered an idealized version of him, and ever since that's all she chose to remember him as. Then My'rnn had that psychic attack and it dredged up all of the stuff that drove her crazy and it brought that to the forefront.

Meh.

Kara's rant was meaningless, because the problem with the show isn't Mon-El and the solution to it certainly isn't about them making up. Mon-El is simply a symptom of the bigger issue, that of Kara's lack of her own story for any of this year and most of the last. Sure, that's been compounded this season by Kara's feelings for Mon El being her only arc; She's sad cos he ain't around/She's sad cos he is.

Similarly, having him Monsplaining how to fight Reign was not an ideal scenario, made all the worse by that cape stuff being legitimately ludicrous. Seriously, it was the sort of thing I'd expect to see in an episode of Power Rangers and the idea that the Reign who laid that epic, dark, genuinely moving beatdown on Kara just a few episodes ago might be defeated by... this?? Plus of course, Kara then using said techniques at the end of the episode only solidified the whole "Whatever would Supergirl do without her dweamy boyfriend to help her" arc that we're still being subjected to.

Still, as bad as Kara's had it this year (and last), at least she's had it mildly better than Imra. A character brought into the show for the sole purpose of being a plot device between Kara and Mon-El. And it isn't like the writers have even tried to hide it, give her absence most of the time. Imra literally exists only to be an obstacle, rather than as a character in her own right.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Similarly, having him Monsplaining how to fight Reign was not an ideal scenario, made all the worse by that cape stuff being legitimately ludicrous. Seriously, it was the sort of thing I'd expect to see in an episode of Power Rangers and the idea that the Reign who laid that epic, dark, genuinely moving beatdown on Kara just a few episodes ago might be defeated by... this?? Plus of course, Kara then using said techniques at the end of the episode only solidified the whole "Whatever would Supergirl do without her dweamy boyfriend to help her" arc that we're still being subjected to.
    I liked it, if only because it's such a Silver Age Superman thing .
    Still, as bad as Kara's had it this year (and last), at least she's had it mildly better than Imra. A character brought into the show for the sole purpose of being a plot device between Kara and Mon-El. And it isn't like the writers have even tried to hide it, give her absence most of the time. Imra literally exists only to be an obstacle, rather than as a character in her own right.
    She's not even a Legion founder in this, or far from the "heart" of the Legion she's supposed to be (though I guess she's the heart of the current Legion trio? I don't know).

They could've just made her Shadow Lass and virtually nothing about her character would be that different. They'd only have to marginally change her power set, but since they went with TK instead of Imra's traditional telepathy, it wouldn't have been that big of a difference anyway.

Mighty Member

Mon-el's wife was really annoying tonight.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Mon-el's wife was really annoying tonight.
    I thought her points were all perfectly valid, both from a practical and emotional point of view.

I'm really disappointed with Mon-el's character this season. He isn't being a hero at all unless he gets to do it with Kara (he's constantly hanging out at the DEO with her while saying "Imra and Brainy are working on this or that"); his friendship with Winn and Alex and other team member that he used to have is nowhere to be found; and he isn't a good husband. He is seemingly even more self-absorbed, as he only cares about being with the girl he can't have. Literally his only function seems to be whining with Kara, and it's a shame and disgrace.

His wife watched her sister die, and he's not the least bit sympathetic or understanding of her view. Imra deserves someone better than him. He's become boring, and as handsome as he is I wish he would just leave the show.

rant over. anyone else just wanna punch him in the face?

Quote Originally Posted by elenita View Post
    I thought her points were all perfectly valid, both from a practical and emotional point of view.

I'm really disappointed with Mon-el's character this season. He isn't being a hero at all unless he gets to do it with Kara (he's constantly hanging out at the DEO with her while saying "Imra and Brainy are working on this or that"); his friendship with Winn and Alex and other team member that he used to have is nowhere to be found; and he isn't a good husband. He is seemingly even more self-absorbed, as he only cares about being with the girl he can't have. Literally his only function seems to be whining with Kara, and it's a shame and disgrace.

His wife watched her sister die, and he's not the least bit sympathetic or understanding of her view. Imra deserves someone better than him. He's become boring, and as handsome as he is I wish he would just leave the show.

rant over. anyone else just wanna punch him in the face?
    Said it better than I could. Bravo.

Not the biggest fan of Mon-El, but as long as the actor's dating the lead he stays. *shrugs*