Page 240 of 374 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I felt like they were ragging the puck for a lot of this episode. Like they didn't have an ending, so they just kept going until they ran out the clock.

Really the last few episodes have been underwhelming. I'd say this was the worst of the CW finales. I'd put them in this order

1. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

2. THE FLASH
    3. BLACK LIGHTNING
    4. ARROW
    5. SUPERGIRL

But LEGENDS was so far beyond any of them that the others are almost just as bad as each other. As seasons go, I can't say which was worse--ARROW or SUPERGIRL. But I like most of the characters on SUPERGIRL much more than those that are left on ARROW.
    What does it say about the state of these shows that the best season finale involved a 50 foot tall Beebo Kung-fu fighting a flying time demon?

I for one think Supergirl was easily the best (maybe alongside Legends) this year. The first genuinely good season of the series and an extremely cool finale. With many new interesting situations to be handled by Season 4

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The reason why the comic book character of Power Girl is more well endowed is the stupidest of all time. So I wouldn't it past them
    Oh, I didn't say it wasn't possible, AF.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The explanation for why the doppelganger would be more endowed would be the stupidest of all-time. IOW, I hope they don't go there.
    The reason why the comic book character of Power Girl is more well endowed is the stupidest of all time. So I wouldn't it past them
    I didn't know the comics ever offered an explanation for Kara Zor-L's somewhat larger breasts. I wouldn't think it's needed, as women do have varying cup sizes. And, in fact, the same woman will have different sized breasts during her lifetime.

Also the "well endowed" expression (for women and men) has really been so overused--in such a creepy way of talking about people--that it really bothers me now. You could maybe understand why certain euphemisms were needed in the past to talk over the children in the room about things adults didn't want them to know. But last time I checked, the CBR message boards were pretty liberal in what things we can talk about, so we shouldn't have to write in code.

Really--and I'm not singling you guys out, you just offered me this convenient soap box to stand on--it unnerves me the way comic book fans keep talking about Power Girl's breasts. It makes us all into the worst stereotype of comic book collectors. And maybe part of that is the word selection.

It never occurred to me that the second Kara was Power Girl--I thought it was a shape shifter or a time remnant.

Amazing Member

Supergirl: Red Daughter! Looks like they're going to use yet another classic idea from the Superman playbook!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At this point it seems like Barry Allen is the only person who can radically change the past and have to face major consequences for it .
    Well, the Legends face consequences, but they know they're constantly messing up so they just end up rolling with them.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

And hey! We finally see what Superman is doing!
    I like that as well. Finally! No lame 'he's brainwashed/unconscious' excuse.

Too bad we didn't see any more members of the Legion of Superheroes. Yeah, I know the old budget excuse, but they could have found a way around it; like showing a glimpse of a winged woman, the outline of a shape-shifting alien, Winn looking at the monitor and saying: "That guy knows kung-fu," etc. Plus, they could of have a contest of whoever can text the most Legionnaire cameos at the end of the show wins a prize, but that's my small weird opinion and me.

Surprised that they made Sam plain human again. I thought for sure she'd keep her powers.
    I'm disappointed that Ruby didn't get any super powers. Come on! It's textbook superhero genetics!

So it looks like the "A" storyline will be Kara and her Doppleganger, and the "B" storyline will be Winn and Mon-El in the future. I wonder if they will just split the season into 2 parts. If Jeremy Jordan is going to Broadway, he would need a large block of time off.
    Too bad we didn't see Winn saying good-bye to his mom; even a phone call.

Ah, Lena being a Luthor. This can't end well...
    I did enjoy her looking over her shoulder when they were talking about the Hauran-El.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Look's like Supergirl's going to have to battle another evil doppelganger.
    . . . Again.

At this point it seems like Barry Allen is the only person who can radically change the past and have to face major consequences for it .
    I'm thinking the combination of the Hauran-El and time travel caused the duplicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazro View Post
    Supergirl: Red Daughter! Looks like they're going to use yet another classic idea from the Superman playbook!
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

I think it would be cool if they reveal that Dark Valley was actually part of The Dreaming. I know it's not going to happen.

I didn't know the comics ever offered an explanation for Kara Zor-L's somewhat larger breasts. I wouldn't think it's needed, as women do have varying cup sizes. And, in fact, the same woman will have different sized breasts during her lifetime.

Also the "well endowed" expression (for women and men) has really been so overused--in such a creepy way of talking about people--that it really bothers me now. You could maybe understand why certain euphemisms were needed in the past to talk over the children in the room about things adults didn't want them to know. But last time I checked, the CBR message boards were pretty liberal in what things we can talk about, so we shouldn't have to write in code.

Really--and I'm not singling you guys out, you just offered me this convenient soap box to stand on--it unnerves me the way comic book fans keep talking about Power Girl's breasts. It makes us all into the worst stereotype of comic book collectors. And maybe part of that is the word selection.

It never occurred to me that the second Kara was Power Girl--I thought it was a shape shifter or a time remnant.

The reason why Power Girls breasts were so much bigger than Supergirls is- and this is straight from the wiki article, so the language isn't mine:
    According to character writer Jimmy Palmiotti, "Okay. When the character was created, Wally Wood was the artist that drew Power Girl, and he was convinced that the editors were not paying attention to anything he did. So, his inker said every issue I’m going to draw the tits bigger until they notice it. It took about seven or eight issues before anyone was like hey, what’s with the tits? And that’s where they stopped. True story."[69]
    For the record, I don't WANT that on the show. And I doubt that Melissa would agree to it, for good reason. But I'd give a chuckle if they tried something. The only thing I want, if they are doing a Dark Supergirl story, is I WANT that black costume from the comics. Maybe don't do the belly shirt, but the black costume with the silver trim always looked bad-ass to me.

For the record, I don't WANT that on the show. And I doubt that Melissa would agree to it, for good reason. But I'd give a chuckle if they tried something. The only thing I want, if they are doing a Dark Supergirl story, is I WANT that black costume from the comics. Maybe don't do the belly shirt, but the black costume with the silver trim always looked bad-ass to me.
    People have been throwing out the idea that we might be getting some kind of Red Son Supergirl:

Although I think they're probably going to have to do something unique with it since we basically already went over this with Overgirl.

Retired

I thought you guys were referring to some in-story explanation like gravity.

I find Wally Wood's anecdote suspect, as the size of PG's breasts remains about the same when he's JSA inker--and they never get that big. It's just relative to some other comic books at the time, Karen has bigger proportions (while at the same time appearing shorter).

It's really been since Crisis and since the relaxing of conventional standards that new artists have made Power Girl really big-breasted and not just slightly bigger than some of her counterparts.

I actually think the biggest her breasts appeared in the Pre-Crisis Code days was on the cover of SHOWCASE No. 97 (February 1978), pencilled by Joe Staton and inked by Joe Orlando--who was one of the co-designers of Power Girl. And he was also the editor and a big DC executive at the time. So that makes Wally's colourful tale seem a little over-embellished. Orlando and Wood worked together, by the way, when they were both at EC--and I expect it was Joe who got Wally the work at DC, as he was considered unemployable by a lot of comic book editors by then.

And that's the one objectifying discussion of Power Girl's body that I'll allow myself for this decade. Finis.

It would be interesting if Red Son/Red Daughter was the season long plot. That might get me to watch. It's almost too bad that they already used Overgirl as that would be a nice idea for the crossover. Imagine all the Arrowverse heroes battling an army of Soviet-style super-heroes.

What was up with John Jones at the end? It seemed like the mere act of him putting on a fedora was supposed to indicate his new character direction. But I couldn't work out what they were hinting at.

I don't know. At least for me in a public setting like this, I tend to curb my language. I would say it's my age talking, but you're even older than me, so...

It kind of irks me as well, Jim. It never was really an issue until primarily this century, but now it's her #1 attribute.

People have been throwing out the idea that we might be getting some kind of Red Son Supergirl:

Although I think they're probably going to have to do something unique with it since we basically already went over this with Overgirl.
    Well, there are three possabilities they can draw from the comics.

The New52 version of Supergirl started with her landing in Siberia with no memory of Krypton's destruction. So maybe combine that with a Red Son type story. Maybe this Kara remembers nothing, and the Russians indoctrinate her. And they never really did that with Overgirl- she was more concerned with getting Supergirl's heart and, when that failed, doing as much damage as she could before she died. We could see a more cold, calculating Supergirl like Overgirl would probably had been if she hadn't been dying.

Supergirl 2.0 was created by the rock of Uda Kal, which seems to be essentially Black Kryptonite, so it could be all of the bad things of Kara's character coalesced into one person, and we get the Good Supergirl vs. Evil Supergirl.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I don't know. At least for me in a public setting like this, I tend to curb my language. I would say it's my age talking, but you're even older than me, so...
    It kind of irks me as well, Jim. It never was really an issue until primarily this century, but now it's her #1 attribute.
    I don't like using four letter words. I was in the navy, so I can curse with the best of them. But in the general public, it always sounds to me like someone is really angry if they're using that kind of language. And I'm not that angry most of the time on the message boards. But what I really meant was there are perfectly good words in the dictionary for body parts, so we don't need either euphemisms or "dirty words" (as my mother would say). We can just use the actual word. It's the best way to communicate and avoid confusion.

I don't like using four letter words. I was in the navy, so I can curse with the best of them. But in the general public, it always sounds to me like someone is really angry if they're using that kind of language. And I'm not that angry most of the time on the message boards. But what I really meant was there are perfectly good words in the dictionary for body parts, so we don't need either euphemisms or "dirty words" (as my mother would say). We can just use the actual word. It's the best way to communicate and avoid confusion.
    I worked in a warehouse as an inventory supervisor when I was starting out in business, so I had to sprinkle 4-letter words into my vocabulary to keep up with the rest of management. As for "well endowed," I don't consider it like "in the family way" or something like that. However, we all see things differently.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

That finale was all over the place but I'm glad it looks like they're at least somewhat clearing the decks for next season. Now, I can only hope that the writers might actually learn their lesson and remember why this show was so good in the first place: Melissa Benoist as Supergirl. I mean, I would complain about her fighting a doppelganger but a) I'm all for a Superman: Red Son adaptation and b) we'll at least get more Benoist this way. Seriously, she was barely even in the first half of this episode!

It's especially frustrating because they have a very good cast to play with and season 1, for all of its messy storytelling, did set a good template and tone for how this show would stand apart from the rest of the CW pack. I kind of wish they would have ended this season by dropping the whole DEO thing as it has more than worn out it's welcome but J'onn leaving his position is a good first step. Now we just need some more Kara Danvers, more Catco and just more of its main character being a kickass superhero.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.