Page 255 of 374 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Good God - the actors who played Mercy and Otis just stunk. I'm just not interested in this plot line. Too preachy. It would be funny if Kal and Kara get deported. Sent to Argo?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I like the IDEA of Mercy and Otis, it's just that I have such a firm vision of who they should be in my mind, that these two don't work for me at all. I don't even know who these actors are (though I have seen Mercy before- in Hollow Man! She was the neighbor that Kevin Bacon rapes while invisible).

It also doesn't help that they just feel like a stand in for Lex, which will be awkward later when Lex actually shows up.

Anyone else think that they have too many villains this season? You have Agent Liberty, Mercy and Otis, Lex, and Red Daughter Supergirl. Seems like overkill.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 10-31-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    . I don't even know who these actors are (though I have seen Mercy before- in Hollow Man! She was the neighbor that Kevin Bacon rapes while invisible).
    Rhona Mitra. She was on Boston Legal. Was also one of the early Lara Croft models.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How so? They're the only ones that had rockets off of Krypton .

I think "several others" is basically 4-6 actual major ones, which is a far cry from having a whole lot of Kryptonians around on a Supergirl show.
    I seem to recall a city full on Argo. Kara's mom is alive negates the orphan angst. Jor-el is trotting around the comics (but I don't read them, so I could be wrong).

Part of their personality was being orphaned. Remove that and their 'hard' times are no different than many real world people who have lost parents. So your parents are alive and you are among the most powerful critters around. I should feel sympathy for you? My mother had a harder time (no need for a sob story).

The writers of the story of Krypton have been terribly variable about the destruction. Originally, they only had the prototype tech to save Kal. Now we have past space empires from Krypton. On Supergirl, Kara blithely talks about being a tourist to other worlds. I expect there is a Karnival Kruise Krypton ship that was elsewhere getting ready to dock at Metropolis and a whole bunch of fat Kryptonians in Hawaiian shirts disembark and buy condos.

Bats being a real orphan is crucial to him. Lobo, Goku, J'onn and others use the 'orphaned' or 'survivor' story. Supes and Kara, no different from any other refugee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Frankly, I think if you're going to limit the amount of Krypton survivors - and an argument could certainly be made for it - there shouldn't even be Kara, just Superman. It's why the comics introduced first Matrix and then Linda Danvers in the comics when there was a mandate against other Krypton survivors during the first two decades after Crisis on Infine Earths. Once you have Supergirl as Kal's cousin, the door is open for other Kryptonians.

Though, that said, I really hated the Argo storyline last season so I would be fine with it not being mentioned again.
    I think Supergirl can be the exception to the rule because having her around lends to a different kind of Kryptonian survivor storyline since, unlike Superman, she was actually raised in Krypton so her perspective would be different and valid to stand alongside Clark's.

Astonishing Member

Kara could stand alone, if the story was that her dad had a prototype also. His brother clued in him. The Argo in space line that developed was still an orphan story as it was destroyed in the early comics.

The blob/angel story line was one of the stupidest they came up with.

Origin stories are a DC weakness. Look at the idiocy of the GLC story line that had no conceptualization of astronomy, color, the age of life in the universe, etc. The basic OA story was best IMHO compared to the current uproar.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I think Supergirl can be the exception to the rule because having her around lends to a different kind of Kryptonian survivor storyline since, unlike Superman, she was actually raised in Krypton so her perspective would be different and valid to stand alongside Clark's.
    Yeah, fair enough. It rathe rpushes crdibility that they would be the only two Kryptonians left - but then "realism" has never really been a focus of the Superman line, has it?

Kara could stand alone, if the story was that her dad had a prototype also. His brother clued in him. The Argo in space line that developed was still an orphan story as it was destroyed in the early comics.

The blob/angel story line was one of the stupidest they came up with.

Origin stories are a DC weakness. Look at the idiocy of the GLC story line that had no conceptualization of astronomy, color, the age of life in the universe, etc. The basic OA story was best IMHO compared to the current uproar.
    Disagree strongly. I liked that they found a creative way to have a Supergirl, despite the ban on other Kryptonians. Plus. Linda Danvers was a fantastic character and PAD's run on that Supergirl book was a real standout from the late '90s, early 2000s.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I like the IDEA of Mercy and Otis, it's just that I have such a firm vision of who they should be in my mind, that these two don't work for me at all. I don't even know who these actors are (though I have seen Mercy before- in Hollow Man! She was the neighbor that Kevin Bacon rapes while invisible).

It also doesn't help that they just feel like a stand in for Lex, which will be awkward later when Lex actually shows up.

Anyone else think that they have too many villains this season? You have Agent Liberty, Mercy and Otis, Lex, and Red Daughter Supergirl. Seems like overkill.
    It depends how they handle it. Both Flash and Supergirl have run into issues when they try and have one villain as the focus of an entire season. If they juggle these various villains effectively then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Though, yes, Otis and Mercy have been by far the weakest part of a so-far very strong season.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    It depends how they handle it. Both Flash and Supergirl have run into issues when they try and have one villain as the focus of an entire season. If they juggle these various villains effectively then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Though, yes, Otis and Mercy have been by far the weakest part of a so-far very strong season.
    True enough. Maybe my problem is who the villains are.

Mercy SHOULD be a big deal (she isn't). Lex Luthor is of course a big deal, and I'd kind of expect him to have an entire season as a big bad. And Red Daughter Supergirl is a huge deal.

Agent of Liberty to me kinda felt like he was going to be the Morgan Edge of this season- teased to be the big bad, then written off halfway through the season to make way for RDK. But Now I want him to stick around longer, and hope they write of Mercy and Otis.

Minor nitpick of the last episode- how the hell did Alex not realize that the alarm going off was the Kryptonite alarm? That should have been the first thing she memorized as a new agent, given who her sister is.

Astonishing Member

Surprisingly strong episode and I did like the critiques of the Brie and Chablis crowd not really caring about what happened to some poor soul who got caught up in their conflicts. Kara really looked full of it with her speeches as did Jimmy and Lena in their in their individual virtue signaling.

The president being an alien was clearly unconstitutional unless she was born in the USA.

Given the constant arrival of Kryptonians and Daxamites, if I were president, I would have Green K and Lead dispensers all over the country. I'm sure every other major government would. The armed forces would being wearing Luthor type supersuits. If Lena wouldn't make them, Boeing and Airbus would.

Extraordinary Member

Which itself makes little sense, considering they can build space faring vehicles the size of Fort Rozz. Launching more with evacuees should have been no more difficult for the Kryptonians than us launching aircraft off a runway.

Even if 99.999% of the population perished, from billions of people that would mean thousands of survivors. It makes little sense that only two would have escaped.
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Surprisingly strong episode and I did like the critiques of the Brie and Chablis crowd not really caring about what happened to some poor soul who got caught up in their conflicts. Kara really looked full of it with her speeches as did Jimmy and Lena in their in their individual virtue signaling.

The president being an alien was clearly unconstitutional unless she was born in the USA.

Given the constant arrival of Kryptonians and Daxamites, if I were president, I would have Green K and Lead dispensers all over the country. I'm sure every other major government would. The armed forces would being wearing Luthor type supersuits. If Lena wouldn't make them, Boeing and Airbus would.
    Agreed Never saw the sense in the people's elected government not having Krytonite. Especially given Karas statements about supporting democracy the the countries elected leadership.

Karas position on democracy seems to be that everyone has a right to their say and their vote, except in matters that might directly affect her in which case her word is law and final.

And yeah, all the characters lead very privileged lifestyles compared to most. None on them are Jessica Jones/Matt Murdock/ Luke Cage types. They might say they stand up the little guy, but they certainly don't seem interested in spending much time with them.
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-01-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

I felt it was a well-written episode and while I've enjoyed the direction the show has taken the past few seasons to take on real world topics, I did have two gripes here (although coming from two vastly different directions). The first is more practical - you'd think that a world that has had Superman in it for as long as it has would have something in some insurance policies regarding "damage due to superhero smackdown."

The second is (working with the public) I see the likes of Liberty's father nearly every day. I'm really not sure why anyone would mourn (let alone take life advice from) the likes of such a hateful human pile of garbage flesh. Like, I get that they were trying to flesh Liberty out, but if they were trying to score even the smallest of sympathy points for him, they failed miserably.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Which itself makes little sense, considering they can build space faring vehicles the size of Fort Rozz.
    That kind of misses the point. It doesn't make sense that they can shoot lasers from their eyes, or blow a hurricane force wind. If the point is going to rest on what makes sense with Superman or Supergirl, the point is doomed to failure. It's about the story, and what elements make the story interesting.

Oh no. Not Boeing or Airbus. If Lena wouldn't make those suits, they'd arrange a pardon for Lex and he'd be back running a government-backed Lexcorp.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I felt it was a well-written episode and while I've enjoyed the direction the show has taken the past few seasons to take on real world topics, I did have two gripes here (although coming from two vastly different directions). The first is more practical - you'd think that a world that has had Superman in it for as long as it has would have something in some insurance policies regarding "damage due to superhero smackdown."

The second is (working with the public) I see the likes of Liberty's father nearly every day. I'm really not sure why anyone would mourn (let alone take life advice from) the likes of such a hateful human pile of garbage flesh. Like, I get that they were trying to flesh Liberty out, but if they were trying to score even the smallest of sympathy points for him, they failed miserably.
    You don't feel any sympathy for him? I can feel some- he was a good, tolerant man, whom bad things just kept happening to until finally, he came around to how his father's point of view. There is something tragic in the fall. That being said, I lost all sympathy for him when he beat the foreman to death after firebombing the Nth metal plant.

Oh no. Not Boeing or Airbus. If Lena wouldn't make those suits, they'd arrange a pardon for Lex and he'd be back running a government-backed Lexcorp.

You don't feel any sympathy for him? I can feel some- he was a good, tolerant man, whom bad things just kept happening to until finally, he came around to how his father's point of view. There is something tragic in the fall. That being said, I lost all sympathy for him when he beat the foreman to death after firebombing the Nth metal plant.
    I thought it was a good episode showing the cycle of hate you have a guy who father spews bigotry and racism blaming others for his woes. The son rejects this philosophy but then his life starts to go south the good people come off as preachy and uncaring and he starts to think hey maybe dad was right and once you justify hate you can justify all the horrible things that comes with it.