Page 288 of 374 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298338 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Deservedly so. It leaped ahead of its fellow superhero shows this year by a fair distance, especially those on the CW.

I assume the Boys wasn't eligible, though? But, then again, there would be something ironic about an anti-superhero show like the Boys winning that award.
    There is a separate category for streaming and non-streaming, probably due to the restrictions on non-streaming formats - I imagine Supergirl would be a very different series if it was made for a streaming platform like Netflix or DCU.

I don't know who won the Best Streaming Superhero Television Series award. I've not seen any articles saying yet.

Full list of Nominees:

Best Superhero TV Series

Arrow
    Black Lightning
    Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger
    DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
    The Flash
    Gotham
    Supergirl

Best Streaming Superhero TV Series

DC’s Doom Patrol
    DC’s Swamp Thing
    Marvel’s Daredevil
    Marvel’s Jessica Jones
    Marvel’s The Punisher
    Marvel’s Runaways
    The Umbrella Academy

https://www.slashfilm.com/2019-satur...s-nominations/
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 09-14-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Melissa Benoist shows off her dance moves after Saturn Awards ceremony. Nothing to do with the show really, but I thought it was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    There is a separate category for streaming and non-streaming, probably due to the restrictions on non-streaming formats - I imagine Supergirl would be a very different series if it was made for a streaming platform like Netflix or DCU.

I don't know who won the Best Streaming Superhero Television Series award. I've not seen any articles saying yet.

Full list of Nominees:

Best Superhero TV Series

Arrow
    Black Lightning
    Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger
    DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
    The Flash
    Gotham
    Supergirl

Best Streaming Superhero TV Series

DC’s Doom Patrol
    DC’s Swamp Thing
    Marvel’s Daredevil
    Marvel’s Jessica Jones
    Marvel’s The Punisher
    Marvel’s Runaways
    The Umbrella Academy

https://www.slashfilm.com/2019-satur...s-nominations/
    Daredevil won best streaming

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Daredevil won best streaming
    Cool, from what I've heard about it, Daredevil was an excellent series and deserving of a win. I must get around to seeing it one day.

Supergirl Wins:

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Melissa Benoist shows off her dance moves after Saturn Awards ceremony. Nothing to do with the show really, but I thought it was cute.

Man, she's perty.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

An award is an award. And the Saturn Awards have been around for a long time, 45 years. So it's not some fanboy website started last week. No need to denigrate Supergirl just because she didn't win some other award.
    In the sci-fi community a Saturn Award is a big deal.
    It's not a big deal, IMO. It's nice, sure, but it doesn't mean much. Superman Returns also won as best Sci-Fi movie or so and look what happened, lots hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It's not a big deal, IMO. It's nice, sure, but it doesn't mean much. Superman Returns also won as best Sci-Fi movie or so and look what happened, lots hate it.
    Lets face it- all awards are just one big industry circle jerk. If you don't like the property, you won't care if it wins anything. That goes for the Oscars just as much as for the Saturn Awards.

Just watched the episode with the Elite (I know I'm way behind), just wanted to say I love their take on the Elite.
    Although I do wish Menagerie had her wings.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2019 at 04:53 AM.

I’m getting caught up too; don’t like the overall preachiness of season 4- Manchester black as a supergirl enemy doesn’t really work for me. Like dreamer, love brainy, but I could do without getting a lesson in morality in my superhero show.

LOL! it's a pretty light weight corny analogy , treat people "aliens" fairly.

Hardly something new to the spirit of the franchise or anything anyone should be taken aback by. LOL!

Absolutely something fun, quirky Supergirl would embrace...
    That some are threatened by the presence of this light weight, corny message, today is telling.
    It's totally Supergirl!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL! it's a pretty light weight corny analogy , treat people "aliens" fairly.

Absolutely something fun, quirky Supergirl would embrace...
    That some are threatened by the presence of this light weight, corny message, today is telling.
    It's totally Supergirl!
    Agreed. Way back in the 1950s the opening theme of Adventures of Superman was that Superman fights a never ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
    Yet here were are in 2019, 60 years later, and there are people complaining about Supergirl wanting justice for everyone like as if that is something political. The only thing
    political about it is there are certain politicians in Washington that are trying to deny justice to certain groups of people mere because of their county of origin. All Supergirl
    does is point out the unfairness of it and to try to encourage people to be better. If people have a problem with Supergirl maybe it is on them, not Supergirl.

Agreed. Way back in the 1950s the opening theme of Adventures of Superman was that Superman fights a never ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
    Yet here were are in 2019, 60 years later, and there are people complaining about Supergirl wanting justice for everyone like as if that is something political. The only thing
    political about it is there are certain politicians in Washington that are trying to deny justice to certain groups of people mere because of their county of origin. All Supergirl
    does is point out the unfairness of it and to try to encourage people to be better. If people have a problem with Supergirl maybe it is on them, not Supergirl.
    I just watched the third episode of the fourth season on Netflix, the one that goes into the history of Agent Liberty.

I certainly agree that what is happening in the real world right now is ridiculous. Trump has taken something that was and is a minor problem at best and escalated it- in people's minds- into some kind of major crisis in order to win the election. In the process, he has fanned the flames of ethnic, cultural and religious bigotry. However, I'm dubious about how it's working in the world of Supergirl.

When the first X-Men movie came out, Roger Ebert said that while we understand that mutants are a metaphor for all victims of bigotry, the problem is that, in the world the X-Men live in, it's not all bigotry. We understand that, when the Senator says, "Do you want a mutant moving into your neighborhood?", the metaphor is, "Do you want a black family moving into your neighborhood?" Sheer bigotry. Or, "Do you want mutants teaching your children?" really means, "Do you want someone who is gay or a Muslim teaching your children?" Again, sheer bigotry. BUT, in the world of the X-Men, it's more like, "Do you want an atomic bomb moved into the house down the street? Oh, it means well. It's a decent atomic bomb. But were it to lose it's temper for one instant, it's not just going to punch a wall. It's going to flatten the entire neighborhood and probably the entire city." That's where the Mutant metaphor breaks down. It's a very rational and justified fear.

That's the only problem I have with Supergirl where aliens are taking the place of mutants. There have been two invasions, countless damage and loss of life and most of the aliens seem to have powers and abilities that make humans look like nothing. The resentment of aliens in the world of Supergirl is simply not comparable to the real world situation. Yes, some of it is bigotry but a lot of it is very justified fear.
    Power with Girl is better.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    When the first X-Men movie came out, Roger Ebert said that while we understand that mutants are a metaphor for all victims of bigotry, the problem is that, in the world the X-Men live in, it's not all bigotry. We understand that, when the Senator says, "Do you want a mutant moving into your neighborhood?", the metaphor is, "Do you want a black family moving into your neighborhood?" Sheer bigotry. Or, "Do you want mutants teaching your children?" really means, "Do you want someone who is gay or a Muslim teaching your children?" Again, sheer bigotry. BUT, in the world of the X-Men, it's more like, "Do you want an atomic bomb moved into the house down the street? Oh, it means well. It's a decent atomic bomb. But were it to lose it's temper for one instant, it's not just going to punch a wall. It's going to flatten the entire neighborhood and probably the entire city." That's where the Mutant metaphor breaks down. It's a very rational and justified fear.

That's the only problem I have with Supergirl where aliens are taking the place of mutants. There have been two invasions, countless damage and loss of life and most of the aliens seem to have powers and abilities that make humans look like nothing. The resentment of aliens in the world of Supergirl is simply not comparable to the real world situation. Yes, some of it is bigotry but a lot of it is very justified fear.
    Yep, yep, and yep. The whole storyline hasn't worked for me for the same reasons you have illustrated. Unless non-aliens all develop meta-like powers, they have a legitimate right to be wary.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep, yep, and yep. The whole storyline hasn't worked for me for the same reasons you have illustrated. Unless non-aliens all develop meta-like powers, they have a legitimate right to be wary.
    Well, if the Arrow multi-verse gets combined into 1, like what CoIE did in the comics, there will be a number of non-alien metahumans running around.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, if the Arrow multi-verse gets combined into 1, like what CoIE did in the comics, there will be a number of non-alien metahumans running around.
    True, but what's the percentage presently? It's pretty small, I believe.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?