Page 3 of 374 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I only remember him in two comics from 1999, where he was a good guy who was being blackmailed into helping Braniac kill Superman. Maybe he became a full-fledged villain since then, but at that point he was a hero put in an impossible situation.
    Checked Wiki, and he was created in 1974 and was a "friend and equal of Superman." Surprising that they used him as a villain, but it's not a big thing for me.

Sandy Hausler

This wasn't very good, hopefully it was just because they had a lot to set up and get the audience up to speed with and once they get going it will get better, I'll continue to watch for now but it better find it's feet soon because I imagine a lot of people won't be as willing to give it time.

The suit isn't great and I hate the S and once again no S on the cape (drives me crazy the cape needs an S).

I have a feeling a question the audience is going to asking over and over is why doesn't Superman help out, especially if they do a world is in danger and everyone second counts story.

I hope this gets better.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Danvers/Matrix Rules View Post
    This wasn't very good, hopefully it was just because they had a lot to set up and get the audience up to speed with and once they get going it will get better, I'll continue to watch for now but it better find it's feet soon because I imagine a lot of people won't be as willing to give it time.

The suit isn't great and I hate the S and once again no S on the cape (drives me crazy the cape needs an S).

I have a feeling a question the audience is going to asking over and over is why doesn't Superman help out, especially if they do a world is in danger and everyone second counts story.

I hope this gets better.
    Supposedly they're going to address why Superman doesn't ever show up in an upcoming episode.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    What problems? If I may ask...
    The making Kara even more into Clark-lite than she ever was in the comics (and at times that was a huge problem pre-crisis) is the biggest one. I wanted to see Supergirl, not a female version of Clark.

While I think going for a lighter tone is good, I think it could have been done without the Devil Wears Prada approach.

It was all plot, with barely any character, and the plot itself was formulaic and boring.

Lastly, I feel like half the cast has a bad case of the idiot ball, including the title character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Danvers/Matrix Rules View Post

I hope this gets better.
    Rather than watch it any more I'm just writing my own version of how I think a Supergirl tv show should go, which is pretty much adapting the PAD series about Linda/Matrix. I can PM you the link to my fic if you think that's more to your taste.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I really loved the pilot episode. It was really great. I liked how Kara accidentally dragged the Phantom Zone prisoners with her in a partly similar way that Clark Kent did in Smallville.
    However one of the two things I hated was Cat Grant being a bitch and the poorly casted Jimmy Olsen. I mean honestly, Jimmy is a scrawny geeky kid and he was casted as a big buff dude. I haven't seen that poorly casted since the recent Fantastic Four movie. Back to the pros, I liked this Valtrox version way better then the comic book version. I also liked how Supergirl build up into her own hero when she started off saving a plane full of people, to her fumbling by going after a speeding car of thugs. I also enjoyed the plot twist of her sister working for the government and her aunt being the main antagonist of the season.

I give the pilot 4 stars out of 5.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Kara is likeable enough, and I like that they set up the DEO and Fort Rozz as the major obstacles Supergirl has to overcome, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that Superman wouldn't show up during any of this. It makes sense that he'd send Jimmy to keep an eye on Kara for when she is ready to become Supergirl rather than Superman to be present and force the choice on her, but once she does become Supergirl, shouldn't he be there to train her to effectively use her powers? Or at the very least offer words of encouragement?
    I think part of the idea behind Superman giving Kara to the Danvers', beyond taking care of her, giving her a home and family environment that he thought she needed, was that since they helped him with his powers they could help Kara train to use her abilities.

She's probably just rusty with them or not as skilled as Clark is because she apparently hadn't used them in a really long time aside from menial tasks like using her Super-Hearing to get ready for Cat showing up in the office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    I mean honestly, Jimmy is a scrawny geeky kid and he was casted as a big buff dude. I haven't seen that poorly casted since the recent Fantastic Four movie.
    I found the casting of James Olsen to be brilliant, myself. He was the opposite of everything we might expect, from race to physical build to dress to personality. For most characters this wouldn't work, but in this case I loved it. He seemed much more the sort of person Superman would actually become good friends with, and he seems much more like a character that can be built upon in an interesting way. You cast "Jimmy" and you are kind of stuck with a one trick pony. They avoided that pitfall in a very successful way, I think.

I'm not one to be in favor of huge shifts from established characters generally, but this change was for the best.

We didn't get a chance to see any levels to Cat, but I expect they'll come. Flockhart doesn't strike me as likely to take a two-dimensional role.

Incredible Member

If the show has a Jimmy Olsen I wonder if it will eventually have a Lois Lane, at least in a single appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still getting used to Cat Grant being the only one in the show who's pronouncing Kara the same way it's been pronounced since like forever .
    I HATE that pronunciation of Kara. I much prefer how Kara and her family pronounce it. That's how they pronounced it in the original movie.
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member

I've heard it pronounced both ways actually. It just depends on who's saying it, and either one works for me.

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    while Superman having saved a plane first too seems to be trying to hit home the "She's a female Superman" aspect too hard.

The use of a sexist villain, "The women on my planet bow to the men" was also way too on the nose for my liking.
    I agree with both of these points. It almost felt like we were being beat over the head with "Look, look at all this Superman related stuff!"

But, it was only the pilot. I'm assuming/hoping the show mellows out on that stuff and just exists as a decent show after a few episodes or a season at most.
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."

Ultimate Member

[QUOTE=AJBopp;1567624]One of the primary themes of the show is the "femaleness" of the hero, and being a powerful woman in a man's world. It makes sense they would drive that point home in the first episode.

There is no "rest of the Justice League" at this point. There is Superman and, presumably, memories of Batman

I understand driving a point home, I just felt that by the end they were up to the level of beating a dead horse about it...and it made it seem that in their world there were no other female supers of any kind, like Kara was the first female super that they had ever heard of, as if no one had thought it possible before she showed up...found that a bit odd was all...

Not saying that I expected the show to be connected to the movies or Arrow or The Flash just that it's kind of odd to have some really huge event and for no other supers to show up or even bother to offer their help. It's like the show takes place in a bubble, or like on the tv show Elementary where on that series there never were any Sherlock Holmes books...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Meh. I thought I was really going to enjoy this show, but the first ep was a letdown. It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed. And WHY is her heat vision blue?? For crying out loud, why would they do that??
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I found the casting of James Olsen to be brilliant, myself. He was the opposite of everything we might expect, from race to physical build to dress to personality. For most characters this wouldn't work, but in this case I loved it. He seemed much more the sort of person Superman would actually become good friends with, and he seems much more like a character that can be built upon in an interesting way. You cast "Jimmy" and you are kind of stuck with a one trick pony. They avoided that pitfall in a very successful way, I think.
    I liked the depiction of Olsen. Jack Kirby made him pretty tough in those New Gods comics, and if you think of Olsen as a war photographer instead of cub reporter, he probably look closer closer to Supergirl's Jimmy Olsen than the Jimmy Olsen that is traditionally depicted.