Page 307 of 374 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 5596

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, Katie McGrath's contract is up after this season. If she decides not to come back, they can always try again with Mon El. Just bring him back from the future and say he and Imra divorced but parted as friends.
    Isn't everybody's contract is up soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't everybody's contract is up soon?
    Possibly, but I'm not sure. I've only heard that Katie's is up. It's possible that Melissa, Chyler and David's contracts are up (depends if they signed for 5 or 7 years, and if the contracts changed when the show moved to the CW). Everyone else is still relatively new, so their deals may run longer.

That being said, this show has a history of loosing actors/actresses, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It really seemed that Mon-El was going to be Kara's true love like Iris is to Barry. They even had the musical episode showing only a true love kiss could bring them back. But it seems the ultra feminists and Supercorp shippers bashed Mon-El and Chris Wood so hard that the actor wanted to get out of the show because he got tired of the abuse. Even the writers said before Season 3 started that Mon-El was Kara's true love.

I liked him too, but the show ruined his and Kara's romantic relationship in S3. I'd like him to return for the final season and get back together with Kara with both realizing they are really in love just to screw with the Supercorp shippers...
    Honestly, I think you're overestimating fan reaction - there's no way any show would have had their main superhero permanently sidled with another super unless it were the initial premise of the show.

I didn't hate Mon-El, I just found him boring. For example, he seemed barely competent enough to put on a suit, let alone to be a hero. Even after his return from the future.

I wonder if part of it is that Supergirl doesn't have a longstanding, epic, romance like most "A-list" characters have. She doesn't really have a Steve Trevor (even if there was a period of time where Steve was severely downplayed). The closest is Dick Malverne (who the show made into a bad guy) and Brainiac 5.
    There's probably a couple historic reasons for that. First, Supergirl didn't have a long running solo ongoing series for the first few decades of her existence, which would've kept a strong group of supporting characters and a love interest alive. And second, there's also the fact that she's a younger character. Barry Allen can be serious with Iris right out the gate because he's a grown man, but how long did it take Dick Grayson until he was given a real girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with Kara being a woman. There are almost no happily married superheroes in the comics in general. And of the CW shows, Black Lightning and Barry both had their female "destined" love interests in place when the show started (obviously same for Superman - he and Lois have been destined forever) Ollie and Felicity eventually got together, but it was a very very long and bumpy road and by the time they really settled into family Felicity left and the show's ending. Kara's never had a "destined" love interest like Lois Lane so anyone would be a tougher sell and as they've stated, this season is all about Kara and Lena. I did like her with M'onel, so maybe they'll refocus on her romance next season.
    It could've easily been James as this show's "destined" love interest. He was given just as much importance as Iris and Lynn from the very beginning, and his journey to being a costumed crime fighter is quite similar to Laurel's. But like how Laurel didn't end up being end game for Oliver, James' will they/won't they/get together/break-up thing over a few seasons didn't mean he was end game for Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It could've easily been James as this show's "destined" love interest. He was given just as much importance as Iris and Lynn from the very beginning, and his journey to being a costumed crime fighter is quite similar to Laurel's. But like how Laurel didn't end up being end game for Oliver, James' will they/won't they/get together/break-up thing over a few seasons didn't mean he was end game for Kara.
    It wasn't a couple of seasons. It was ONE season. They spent all of Season 1 getting together, only for her to drop him like a hot potato in the first episode of Season 2.

Was there ever any reason given why they moved away from that? Was it a lack of chemistry between the actors, or were the suits worried about a black man romancing a blonde white girl?

This conversation has made me wonder about culture - and this is far from a complete thought, but I'm presenting it here because I'm interested in what people think, so what I'm about to say isn't an assertion of any kind, more of a cultural observation:
    -- Could the challenge of writing a good love story for Kara be the catch-22 of culture's traditional notion of what women are supposed to be? On the one hand, Kara is Supergirl, she's not just the protagonist of this show, she's a HERO - she's meant to be a paradigm. Unfortunately, culture sees women as nurturers and should be better at relationships - men can be shown as screw-ups in relationships without undermining the admirable qualities that make them "men" and "heroes." BUT usually, if a woman is the protagonist and is shown struggling in relationships, the're usually shown as screw-ups in general - their entire life is a mess. So I'm just wondering how much cultural bias plays into the idea that she can't be SUPER if she struggles with relationships - she can't be super if she's not good at relationships, but she's also not super if she stays with a guy who's a screw-up - both undermine the idea of her as "a super woman." And having her in a perfect relationship is usually just boring tv, so....

Anyway, there's a rambling incomplete thought for y'all...

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Her father was Lionel, so she is a Luthor. Still, if a genetic disposition to crime was this strong in reality, eugenics as policy would never have died a long time ago.
    I didn't realize Lionel was her father. I thought she was adopted and just happened to be a genius like Lex. This makes more sense.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Was there ever any reason given why they moved away from that? Was it a lack of chemistry between the actors, or were the suits worried about a black man romancing a blonde white girl?
    I mean, considering what happened between Melissa and Chris, it may have just been they shifted everything to Mon-El as as soon as they had cast him.

I don't think the CW is against interracial relationships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I didn't realize Lionel was her father. I thought she was adopted and just happened to be a genius like Lex. This makes more sense.
    I think she thought she was adopted before she found out she was biologically Lionel's kid.

I don't think they have a problem with interracial couples. Diggle is married to Lyla and they even have a child. Barry is married to Iris and they have a child in the future. Alex is romancing Kelly.
    The James/Kara romance started on CBS, which is a lot more conservative than the CW. And later on they paired James up with Lena, much to the chagrin of the SuperCorp shippers.
    I think it was lack of chemistry. James had far more chemistry with Winn. They should have just made James and Winn a romantic couple. I think most people would have been happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't think they have a problem with interracial couples. Diggle is married to Lyla and they even have a child. Barry is married to Iris and they have a child in the future. Alex is romancing Kelly.
    The James/Kara romance started on CBS, which is a lot more conservative than the CW. And later on they paired James up with Lena, much to the chagrin of the SuperCorp shippers.
    I think it was lack of chemistry. James had far more chemistry with Winn. They should have just made James and Winn a romantic couple. I think most people would have been happy with that.
    Good point. I find it amusing that the two actors the cast to portray an Olson have had zero chemistry with their respective love interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think people would have been bewildered by it more then anything else.
    Good point. I find it amusing that the two actors the cast to portray an Olson have had zero chemistry with their respective love interests.
    At least Ashmore was a better Jimmy.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think people would have been bewildered by it more then anything else.
    Heh, definitely more bewildered than happy. I never once thought of them as a potential couple.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Winn and James?
    How do you even....these two were like bros.

It wasn't a couple of seasons. It was ONE season. They spent all of Season 1 getting together, only for her to drop him like a hot potato in the first episode of Season 2.
    I count season 2 as part of their break-up period if they were on track to do a get together/break-up romance over multiple seasons. Even Barry was dating Patty for a while before he and Iris got together for good.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This conversation has made me wonder about culture - and this is far from a complete thought, but I'm presenting it here because I'm interested in what people think, so what I'm about to say isn't an assertion of any kind, more of a cultural observation:
    -- Could the challenge of writing a good love story for Kara be the catch-22 of culture's traditional notion of what women are supposed to be? On the one hand, Kara is Supergirl, she's not just the protagonist of this show, she's a HERO - she's meant to be a paradigm. Unfortunately, culture sees women as nurturers and should be better at relationships - men can be shown as screw-ups in relationships without undermining the admirable qualities that make them "men" and "heroes." BUT usually, if a woman is the protagonist and is shown struggling in relationships, the're usually shown as screw-ups in general - their entire life is a mess. So I'm just wondering how much cultural bias plays into the idea that she can't be SUPER if she struggles with relationships - she can't be super if she's not good at relationships, but she's also not super if she stays with a guy who's a screw-up - both undermine the idea of her as "a super woman."
    It's the old notion of a woman having to work twice as hard to get half the respect a man gets. Maybe you're right, maybe it would reflect poorly on Kara if her she messed up her chances at romance. Moreso than it did on Oliver or Barry.

At least Ashmore was a better Jimmy.
    Ashmore only played the real Jimmy Olson in the Smallville finale, and very briefly.