Page 349 of 374 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 5596
    Incredible Member

This was a weird episode.

It began with Kara lecturing us all about what a great program this warden had set up. As soon as they
    mentioned that everyone knew we were going to get the prison as supervillain danger will robinson kind of thing. Then
    we got treated to the Catco theory of journalism: throw yourself off of buildings in hopes you could score
    a "killer" interview on the way down with Supergirl and the team. I mean does no one in these writer
    meetings consider the possibility that someone is not there to rescue people? Maybe that is how they handle
    journalist advancement, I don't know. So far this season Catco appears to be the kind of company you
    never want to work for under any terms whatsoever.

The episode as a whole wasn't horrible, it just didn't seem very well thought out, maybe a little contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    The episode as a whole wasn't horrible, it just didn't seem very well thought out, maybe a little contrived.
    I think you've just described most of the CWverse. (although I'd take out "maybe a little")

("Superman & Lois" and "Stargirl" are more like CWverse 2.0 and I hope as the older shows phase out, the newer shows will be more like these two newer ones)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-01-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Incredible Member

Fair point.

There is a common way these shows unfold.

I may be wrong, but isn't Kelly older than James? She referred to him as her "big" brother.

I see Alex and Kelly have settled into the boring perfect couple phase of their relationship.

Andrea has moved from general clickbait to Superhero clickbait. I mean, it's partially their own fault for involving their Superhero identities with CatCo as much as they have, but Andrea's trying really hard to be discount Cat Grant and treating her employees terribly. At least she let Nia have a mental health day.

I see Nia has mastered falling asleep while standing up or when the plot needs her to. I guess given her power that's pretty useful.

What a surprise, the kindly old white people in a position of power turn out to be corrupt and abusing said position of power! Who could've seen that coming? Honestly felt like an episode of Batwoman, since they also did a prison reform plot.

I feel like Kelly was initially suspicious because of the power dampeners, but while they were abused, doesn't it make sense to have the ability to negate the dangerous powers of kids who might not be able to control them? That seems valid. But I guess abuse to aliens trumps common sense.

Wait, Kara never told anyone about Nyxly? I guess she left Nyxly in the Phantom Zone, but that seems like something she'd mention. Not that Nia isn't dumb for falling for her manipulations when the wise old talking CGI owl is the one making snese.

I think SM&L made a joke about why people even bother shooting at Superman. Or maybe it was on here? I feel like they've made a joke about that with Hoechlin's Supes.

Did Kara really think those guys would be willing to go back to prison? Although frankly I doubt all of them committed crimes just to able to take care of their little brother. Did they all get pardons?

I really don't see how the Kelly plot naturally segues into her becoming a costumed vigilante. All she did was inexplicably hack into a security system and turn it over to the proper authorities. What about that necessitates becoming the next Guardian? Which Alex apparently knew was going to happen since she threw a shield around in Crisis and has been holding the Guardian helmet in reserve. Heaven forbid someone on this show not become a Superhero.

Incredible Member

The prison reform plot was ridiculous. I mean does Kara (or her writers) not have a clue
    how poorly prisoners are paid, no unions either. The gushing at the start of the episode was
    ridiculous.

The problem with superhero shows when they tackle serious issues is that they make it seem
    so easy to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    The prison reform plot was ridiculous. I mean does Kara (or her writers) not have a clue
    how poorly prisoners are paid, no unions either. The gushing at the start of the episode was
    ridiculous.

The problem with superhero shows when they tackle serious issues is that they make it seem
    so easy to resolve.
    It did kind of make Kara look dumb, especially when she found out about the corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think SM&L made a joke about why people even bother shooting at Superman. Or maybe it was on here? I feel like they've made a joke about that with Hoechlin's Supes.

I really don't see how the Kelly plot naturally segues into her becoming a costumed vigilante. All she did was inexplicably hack into a security system and turn it over to the proper authorities. What about that necessitates becoming the next Guardian? Which Alex apparently knew was going to happen since she threw a shield around in Crisis and has been holding the Guardian helmet in reserve. Heaven forbid someone on this show not become a Superhero.
    It was Supergirl Season 2. Superman and Supergirl were flying around the city, teaming up to take down bad guys, when they stopped some armed robbers who were trying to flee in a car. Superman did the old 'pick up the rear of the car by the bumper' trick, and one of the criminals jumped out and shot at him. When that didn't work, the idiot punched Superman, to expected results. At which point Superman grabbed him by the coat and with a smile said something like 'See, here's what I don't get. If the bullets didn't work, then why with the punching?'

The actress said something in an interview recently about how there's been this long arc, ever since she was introduced, for her becoming Guardian. Which was news to me, as the first time there was ever a hint was the shield bit in Crisis, and then nothing much after that. Plus, while she was in the Army, she was an Army shrink. She doesn't look buff enough like she could handle herself in a fight; she looks like a stiff wind could knock her down.

I think the perfect role for her would have been the Counselor Troi of the team. There was no need to also make her a vigilante even if the suit looks good).

Random thought I've had recently- what exactly is Alex doing for income now? She had already quit the DEO; even if she had cashed in her 401K, that money wouldn't last forever. How's she paying rent, or for food?

Something that has become rather noticeable- the CW is no longer promoting Supergirl. It used to be at the end of the current episode, there would be a preview for next week's show. But outside of the trailer they released announcing it was coming back, there have been no commercials at all. Even the actress playing Kelly remarked about it on Twitter.

I get that the show is ending, and that even then, the ratings have been dropping for years. But why wouldn't you put the bare minimum effort in to promote the show? Maybe try to grab some ratings on the way out. Or at least try not to piss off actors you may want to try and get back for guest spots later on down the road.

Incredible Member

Superhero shows always have a hazy ideas about income supporting activities.
    Your point about Alex was dead on. But they cut these corners all the time.
    A real life person would struggle with the kind of income choices that are done all
    the time on superhero shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It was Supergirl Season 2. Superman and Supergirl were flying around the city, teaming up to take down bad guys, when they stopped some armed robbers who were trying to flee in a car. Superman did the old 'pick up the rear of the car by the bumper' trick, and one of the criminals jumped out and shot at him. When that didn't work, the idiot punched Superman, to expected results. At which point Superman grabbed him by the coat and with a smile said something like 'See, here's what I don't get. If the bullets didn't work, then why with the punching?'
    Ah, there we go .
    The actress said something in an interview recently about how there's been this long arc, ever since she was introduced, for her becoming Guardian. Which was news to me, as the first time there was ever a hint was the shield bit in Crisis, and then nothing much after that. Plus, while she was in the Army, she was an Army shrink. She doesn't look buff enough like she could handle herself in a fight; she looks like a stiff wind could knock her down.
    I think the perfect role for her would have been the Counselor Troi of the team. There was no need to also make her a vigilante even if the suit looks good).[/QUOTE]
    At least Alex says she'll train her so she's not an instant vigilante overnight, but it still feels like a jump.

These shows really undervalue the idea that not everyone needs to be in a costume. I mean, really now we've only got Lena and William left.
    Random thought I've had recently- what exactly is Alex doing for income now? She had already quit the DEO; even if she had cashed in her 401K, that money wouldn't last forever. How's she paying rent, or for food?
    I can count on one hand the number of times these shows have addressed the characters' income unless they have a dayjob. I remember all the questions about what Team Flash did for money and how Barry is technically rich.
    Something that has become rather noticeable- the CW is no longer promoting Supergirl. It used to be at the end of the current episode, there would be a preview for next week's show. But outside of the trailer they released announcing it was coming back, there have been no commercials at all. Even the actress playing Kelly remarked about it on Twitter.

I get that the show is ending, and that even then, the ratings have been dropping for years. But why wouldn't you put the bare minimum effort in to promote the show? Maybe try to grab some ratings on the way out. Or at least try not to piss off actors you may want to try and get back for guest spots later on down the road.
    They're doing the same thing they did with Black Lightning.

The Arrowverse has been Power Rangers-esque for a while now .
    Well, Alex's actress Chyler Leigh is actually the sister of the Red Space Ranger! And the Supergirl cast has been photographed posing like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Also, the Blue Ninja Steel Ranger's actor appeared in Supergirl this season, and SPD Blue was in a previous one. I think that they actually wouldn't be offended by being compared to PR.

Heck, there's speculation that PR itself is planning a show in the same style. The rumours are that the current Sentai adaptations will be replaced by two new shows - one for kids which will be animated, and another for adults, which will be CW style (but would be on Netflix).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I can count on one hand the number of times these shows have addressed the characters' income unless they have a dayjob. I remember all the questions about what Team Flash did for money and how Barry is technically rich.
    I guess Alex is really the first time I've noticed, because she DOESN'T have a day job anymore. With Team Flash, I thought that Thawne/Wells left STAR Labs to Barry, and it still generated revenue somehow, which he used to pay Cisco and Kaitlin. Oliver was still rich, even after he lost most of his fortune, and Thea got all of Malcolm's money. Kara still works at Catco. But Alex had a job, quit it, and now works as a vigilante. I just wish they'd mention she's getting an income from something.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

But did he throw his pistol at Supes, too?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I guess Alex is really the first time I've noticed, because she DOESN'T have a day job anymore. With Team Flash, I thought that Thawne/Wells left STAR Labs to Barry, and it still generated revenue somehow, which he used to pay Cisco and Kaitlin. Oliver was still rich, even after he lost most of his fortune, and Thea got all of Malcolm's money. Kara still works at Catco. But Alex had a job, quit it, and now works as a vigilante. I just wish they'd mention she's getting an income from something.
    Now I'm just thinking about how Kelly went from army medic, to Obsidian super tech, to being a social worker, and now amateur vigilante.

Now I'm just thinking about how Kelly went from army medic, to Obsidian super tech, to being a social worker, and now amateur vigilante.
    Kelly is whatever the plot needs her (or rather wants her) to be. Alex needs a girlfriend? Here's Kelly! We need a technical genius working at Obisdian with the contacts? Here's Kelly! We want a Guardian, but Mechad Brooks left the show to do movies? Here's Kelly!

I'm sure the actress is a lovely person, but the writing for her character just SUCKS.