Page 4 of 374 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    If the show has a Jimmy Olsen I wonder if it will eventually have a Lois Lane, at least in a single appearance.
    Lucy Lane shows up in episode 3. Played by Jenna Dewan Tatum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed.
    I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea what people mean when they say "cheesy." It seems to mean different things to different people. I found it to be light and refreshing in tone, and much closer to what Man Of Steel should have felt like. I'm not sure if that's what people mean by cheesy or not.

The special effects were as good as any effects-driven TV show on a budget in the hundreds of thousands rather than hundreds of millions.

I lost count of the number of times Supergirl used super speed in this episode. I can't imagine what you mean by that.

Ultimate Member

"Cheesy" is one of the often thrown around "trigger words" that has been so overused that it's lost almost all actual meaning. Sort of like "emo," or "hipster," and so on. Essentially, in this context, it tends to actually be code for "tone that I don't personally like."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Meh. I thought I was really going to enjoy this show, but the first ep was a letdown. It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed. And WHY is her heat vision blue?? For crying out loud, why would they do that??
    Because there's such a thing as blue flame. It tends to be flame that's particularly hot. Seriously, turn on a Bunsen burner sometime and see for yourself. Plus, it helps differentiate it from Superman's heat vision, which is almost always depicted as being red/orange-ish in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I've heard it pronounced both ways actually. It just depends on who's saying it, and either one works for me.
    It's Ra's Al Ghul all over again .

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Because there's such a thing as blue flame. It tends to be flame that's particularly hot. Seriously, turn on a Bunsen burner sometime and see for yourself. Plus, it helps differentiate it from Superman's heat vision, which is almost always depicted as being red/orange-ish in color.
    There's no reason to differentiate it from Superman's heat vision. Kyrptonian heat vision is red/orange and that's all there is to it! But yeah I guess they were going for that blue flame idea.
    I don't remember the exact moment but someone referred to something as being "kyrptonese"? That kinda irked me, I don't see why they didn't just stick with Kyrptonian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I enjoyed the pilot overall, I agree it was pretty cheesy in parts, and the Kryptonese line was kind of silly (It should be Kryptonian) But overall I think its an enjoyable enough show to stick with.
    No, it's Kryptonese. The official language of Krypton has always been Kryptonese. DC changed it to Kryptonian (unofficially) but the name still stuck, even in Superman: Birthright which was Superman's official origin up until the New 52. Officially that's what it's been called since the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypto...e_and_alphabet

For most of Superman's published history, Kryptonian writing was represented by random, alien-looking squiggles. In the 1970s, E. Nelson Bridwell attempted to rationalize these squiggles into a 118-letter alphabet, referring to the language as "Kryptonese." This standardized alphabet was then used by DC Comics until John Byrne's 1986 "reboot" of the Superman universe.[7]
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Mighty Member

I liked how there was a Kryptonian prison that was inside of the Phantom Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    No, it's Kryptonese. The official language of Krypton has always been Kryptonese. DC changed it to Kryptonian (unofficially) but the name still stuck, even in Superman: Birthright which was Superman's official origin up until the New 52. Officially that's what it's been called since the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypto...e_and_alphabet
    interesting. didnt know that. still i dont really like the way it sounds. if someone's Spanish they speak Spanish, Germans speak German, if someone's Japanese they speak Japanese. it just sounds odd to say they're Kryptonian and speak Kryptonese.

just my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Checked Wiki, and he was created in 1974 and was a "friend and equal of Superman." Surprising that they used him as a villain, but it's not a big thing for me.

It's not so surprising, really. They did basically the same thing with Atom Smasher in Flash and Huntress and Bronze Tiger in Arrow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    interesting. didnt know that. still i dont really like the way it sounds. if someone's Spanish they speak Spanish, Germans speak German, if someone's Japanese they speak Japanese. it just sounds odd to say they're Kryptonian and speak Kryptonese.

just my opinion.
    Oh I completely agree, I'm just saying that Kryptonese isn't inaccurate.

Missed it. Was it any different than the leaked pilot?

BANNED

For those who missed the pilot, it's free to download on iTunes.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

As I said in another thread...

I very much enjoyed it. There's plenty of room for improvement but I think Benoist is terrific and I just love the general feel of it. And the fact that I think it will work especially well for girls between the ages of, say, six and fifteen may turn some people off but I think that's very much a good thing for a Supergirl show. As we saw with the Flash, the pilot is one thing but what really matters is where they go from here - and, for the forseable future at least, I am really looking forward to finding out.

So yeah, count me in as cautiously optimistic. And, yes, I already enjoy it more than Man of Steel.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Missed it. Was it any different than the leaked pilot?
    I think they might have changed the music during the suit design/debuting her self as a hero montage. I don't remember that song playing during the leaked pilot but it has been quite a few months since I saw it.