Page 4 of 296 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    I mean honestly, Jimmy is a scrawny geeky kid and he was casted as a big buff dude. I haven't seen that poorly casted since the recent Fantastic Four movie.
    I found the casting of James Olsen to be brilliant, myself. He was the opposite of everything we might expect, from race to physical build to dress to personality. For most characters this wouldn't work, but in this case I loved it. He seemed much more the sort of person Superman would actually become good friends with, and he seems much more like a character that can be built upon in an interesting way. You cast "Jimmy" and you are kind of stuck with a one trick pony. They avoided that pitfall in a very successful way, I think.

I'm not one to be in favor of huge shifts from established characters generally, but this change was for the best.

We didn't get a chance to see any levels to Cat, but I expect they'll come. Flockhart doesn't strike me as likely to take a two-dimensional role.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

If the show has a Jimmy Olsen I wonder if it will eventually have a Lois Lane, at least in a single appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still getting used to Cat Grant being the only one in the show who's pronouncing Kara the same way it's been pronounced since like forever .
    I HATE that pronunciation of Kara. I much prefer how Kara and her family pronounce it. That's how they pronounced it in the original movie.
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member

I've heard it pronounced both ways actually. It just depends on who's saying it, and either one works for me.

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    while Superman having saved a plane first too seems to be trying to hit home the "She's a female Superman" aspect too hard.

The use of a sexist villain, "The women on my planet bow to the men" was also way too on the nose for my liking.
    I agree with both of these points. It almost felt like we were being beat over the head with "Look, look at all this Superman related stuff!"

But, it was only the pilot. I'm assuming/hoping the show mellows out on that stuff and just exists as a decent show after a few episodes or a season at most.
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."

Ultimate Member

[QUOTE=AJBopp;1567624]One of the primary themes of the show is the "femaleness" of the hero, and being a powerful woman in a man's world. It makes sense they would drive that point home in the first episode.

There is no "rest of the Justice League" at this point. There is Superman and, presumably, memories of Batman

I understand driving a point home, I just felt that by the end they were up to the level of beating a dead horse about it...and it made it seem that in their world there were no other female supers of any kind, like Kara was the first female super that they had ever heard of, as if no one had thought it possible before she showed up...found that a bit odd was all...

Not saying that I expected the show to be connected to the movies or Arrow or The Flash just that it's kind of odd to have some really huge event and for no other supers to show up or even bother to offer their help. It's like the show takes place in a bubble, or like on the tv show Elementary where on that series there never were any Sherlock Holmes books...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Meh. I thought I was really going to enjoy this show, but the first ep was a letdown. It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed. And WHY is her heat vision blue?? For crying out loud, why would they do that??
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I found the casting of James Olsen to be brilliant, myself. He was the opposite of everything we might expect, from race to physical build to dress to personality. For most characters this wouldn't work, but in this case I loved it. He seemed much more the sort of person Superman would actually become good friends with, and he seems much more like a character that can be built upon in an interesting way. You cast "Jimmy" and you are kind of stuck with a one trick pony. They avoided that pitfall in a very successful way, I think.
    I liked the depiction of Olsen. Jack Kirby made him pretty tough in those New Gods comics, and if you think of Olsen as a war photographer instead of cub reporter, he probably look closer closer to Supergirl's Jimmy Olsen than the Jimmy Olsen that is traditionally depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    If the show has a Jimmy Olsen I wonder if it will eventually have a Lois Lane, at least in a single appearance.
    Lucy Lane shows up in episode 3. Played by Jenna Dewan Tatum

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed.
    I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea what people mean when they say "cheesy." It seems to mean different things to different people. I found it to be light and refreshing in tone, and much closer to what Man Of Steel should have felt like. I'm not sure if that's what people mean by cheesy or not.

The special effects were as good as any effects-driven TV show on a budget in the hundreds of thousands rather than hundreds of millions.

I lost count of the number of times Supergirl used super speed in this episode. I can't imagine what you mean by that.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Ultimate Member

"Cheesy" is one of the often thrown around "trigger words" that has been so overused that it's lost almost all actual meaning. Sort of like "emo," or "hipster," and so on. Essentially, in this context, it tends to actually be code for "tone that I don't personally like."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Meh. I thought I was really going to enjoy this show, but the first ep was a letdown. It was cheesy, the special effects weren't good and they didn't even show her using super speed. And WHY is her heat vision blue?? For crying out loud, why would they do that??
    Because there's such a thing as blue flame. It tends to be flame that's particularly hot. Seriously, turn on a Bunsen burner sometime and see for yourself. Plus, it helps differentiate it from Superman's heat vision, which is almost always depicted as being red/orange-ish in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I've heard it pronounced both ways actually. It just depends on who's saying it, and either one works for me.
    It's Ra's Al Ghul all over again .

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Because there's such a thing as blue flame. It tends to be flame that's particularly hot. Seriously, turn on a Bunsen burner sometime and see for yourself. Plus, it helps differentiate it from Superman's heat vision, which is almost always depicted as being red/orange-ish in color.
    There's no reason to differentiate it from Superman's heat vision. Kyrptonian heat vision is red/orange and that's all there is to it! But yeah I guess they were going for that blue flame idea.
    I don't remember the exact moment but someone referred to something as being "kyrptonese"? That kinda irked me, I don't see why they didn't just stick with Kyrptonian.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I enjoyed the pilot overall, I agree it was pretty cheesy in parts, and the Kryptonese line was kind of silly (It should be Kryptonian) But overall I think its an enjoyable enough show to stick with.
    No, it's Kryptonese. The official language of Krypton has always been Kryptonese. DC changed it to Kryptonian (unofficially) but the name still stuck, even in Superman: Birthright which was Superman's official origin up until the New 52. Officially that's what it's been called since the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypto...e_and_alphabet

For most of Superman's published history, Kryptonian writing was represented by random, alien-looking squiggles. In the 1970s, E. Nelson Bridwell attempted to rationalize these squiggles into a 118-letter alphabet, referring to the language as "Kryptonese." This standardized alphabet was then used by DC Comics until John Byrne's 1986 "reboot" of the Superman universe.[7]
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there