Page 56 of 374 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Also... Since when can't Superman fly in a vacuum?
    Believe it or not this has been a somewhat muddled thing even in the comics over the years. Seems they're working on the Byrne esque level of Superman powers. That Kryptonians etc... don't "fly" of their own accord but manipulate the gravity of the planet to propel themselves (something that was also true of Martians at least at one point). Could it have been clearer? Sure. But it's steeped in the comic lore.

How was Alex able to fly an alien spaceship and what the @#$% did she do once she reached Kara? Get out?
    Could've been clearer. Maybe it has some form of tractor team? Depending on how it functions it could conceivably "open" to get Kara and keep the atmosphere in it. I'm more confused as to how Alex was able to use it at all rather than the pods ability.

Why didn't that ship break into little pieces once she started lifting it like a hand basket?
    Why doesn't a plane usually just break off when Superman catches it by the wing? Same principle. Oddly also what the Byrne Supermans story explained a bit. That Kryptonians manipulate the gravity of the planet to do what they want it to unconsciously and hold things they lift together.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Cheesy but enjoyable season finale. Really hope we get confirmation of season 2 soon!
    Yeahhhhhhhhhh less cheese, more Kara power lifting please!

Meh ending.

So there was actually no point in having supes come back from his space vacation.

Beating Myriad with the power of hope is straight up cartoon-level stuff.

And SG cant fly in space or super hold her breath? That was weird. So since she cant go that far where is Fort Rozz? Is it just hanging out in orbit?

Since Non got blasted in the face, does that mean we will get the standard Non? His brain got overheated and now he is all dumb?

SG and Jimmy is still weird.

So who is in the pod? My guesses.

1. POWER GIRL! From another dimension.

2. SUPER BOY! AKA Mon-El aka Daxamite. Or a girl version of Mon-el cause this show likes switching stuff.

3. Real Supergirl? We find out the the current SG isnt actually the real SG?

4. Seeing this show goes to cartoon level they can pull out a joke and have it be Krypto?

Retired

I think Red Boots should have been played by some actor, where we'd see his face. Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill, Tom Welling, Dean Cain--take your pick. Given the series could be on the chopping block, it needed a Hail Mary pass--and surely DC/WB would let the Man of Steel make a cameo to save Supergirl from a fate worse than death--not getting picked up for a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I'm assuming only one thing really. MEOW
    I thought the rocket ship was too large for a MEOW. I'm going with a WHINNY.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Why doesn't a plane usually just break off when Superman catches it by the wing? Same principle. Oddly also what the Byrne Supermans story explained a bit. That Kryptonians manipulate the gravity of the planet to do what they want it to unconsciously and hold things they lift together.
    So Kryptonians can manipulate gravity, but flying in a vacuum is a problem? And Ive seen plenty of wings ripped off by Supes and other Superheroes... Not to mention, didnt she leave a big dent in the plane she saved in the first episode? But he rarely is taking a "200 million ton" object into space, cold. Not arguing just pointing out the plot holes this show fell into this episode, besides the uber cheese factor.

The best episode of this run was the red kryptonite one, followed by the Flash cameo, though that episode had some pretty large holes in it too but it was held up by the fun and Barry's inclusion. I also like the one with the Black Mercy and wish they would have used Maxima better. One of the reasons I'd like to see this jump over to CWs Monday lineup inside the Arrow-verse. If they can afford a show like Legends, they can carry Supergirl, which IMO can be a great show as long as they abandon the pandering and let it be what it cousin shows have become. Even with all the camp, the writers did give us some pretty good villains. Menacing and powerful ones. I enjoyed the show, OK, but it could have been soo much more than a demographic sniper rifle.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 04-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

Well, manipulating gravity in that she's using Earth a focal point. Thus the further she gets from the planet she can no longer do it.

A satisfying season finally. Action and suspense. We were lead to believe someone would die. I heard rumors it would be Alex so I was waiting for the shoe to drop. But in the end all the loose ends were tied up and the DEO has been rebooted. So if this is the only season it gives it a good ending. And if there is a second season all the players are available plus we get a mystery to solve in that who or what is in the pod and why was it sent. Looking forward to a second season, but if not it was a fun ride. Everything I wanted in a show based on comic books. This show felt more like watching a comic book than anything that has ever been on TV before.

This was actually a pretty good day for Supergirl, all things considered. She saves National City, she saves the world, she beat Non, J'onn and Alex are pardoned and rejoin the DEO, Lord actually seems to care about her a bit now, Clark is proud of her, she got a promotion, Cat finally pronounced her name correctly, and she got the guy to boot. Barry and Ollie wish they were as successful in the season 1 finale's of their show .

I think Melissa Benoist did a great job with that inspirational scene. She really put her heart into that, and even I was kinda feeling inspired by it. This girl was born to play Supergirl, and be the symbol and inspiration that S is supposed to stand for, and I hope she gets a lot more opportunity to continue doing so in the future .

That's General Lane for you. Heartwarming father one scene, untrusting and unrelenting government official the next. At least he came around by the end, and when you get right down to it you can't deny he truly loves his daughter. Though Lucy mentioning Lois has reminded me how much I want to see the elder Lane, what she's like in this universe, and how she plays off the rest of the cast.

I think Kara unintentionally lobotomized Non, so he'll now have the grunting brute personality he traditionally has in the comics. The creators talked about doing their own take on the "Superman 2 mythology," so I assume this is their explaining how Non goes from the Zod-ish guy here to Superman 2 Non.

Indigo's love for Non ultimately proved her undoing, as she was distracted by Kara and Non's struggle long enough for J'onn to rip her apart. Though somehow I doubt that killed her.

I wonder if they're ever going to cast someone to play Superman instead of showing us a CG version of him or just his boots. Probably not. But I can hope .

I am definitely curious to see what the DEO dynamic is going to be now. Will Lucy and J'onn both lead? Or will Martian Manhunter be a field agent like Supergirl? Is he going to go by J'onn J'onnz in public or start using John Jones? At least being back in the DEO will help Alex and J'onn with their investigation into Cadmus and their hunt for Jeremiah.

I wonder what Kara is going to do at CatCo now that she's basically given free reign to do whatever work she feels is right for her? Will she be an editor? An executive of some kind? How is she going to decorate her office? Is she going to dress less like a "working girl" secretary and more like a professional, powerful (yet kind and compassionate), businesswoman?

Dear lord, who was in that pod? Krypto? Streaky the Supercat? Comet? Mon-El? Earth-2 Kara (Power Girl)? Some version of Superboy? Miss Martian?

Suffice it to say, I really, really hope this series makes it to season 2. I think it well-deserves deserves it at this point.

BANNED

1) Did Non and Indigo do something extra special to KO Clark for so long? Seems odd to have him down like that for so extra long compared to EVERYONE (aside from plot necessity).
    So they didn't actually explain why Superman was KO'ed while Kara was still up and about? I was cooking while watching, so I figured I must have missed that few seconds. But maybe there was nothing to miss.

Believe it or not this has been a somewhat muddled thing even in the comics over the years. Seems they're working on the Byrne esque level of Superman powers. That Kryptonians etc... don't "fly" of their own accord but manipulate the gravity of the planet to propel themselves (something that was also true of Martians at least at one point). Could it have been clearer? Sure. But it's steeped in the comic lore.
    Yeah, but it's steeped in lore that the comic books abandoned ages ago, as Superman has been flying around in space with no problem for decades. Even Byrne had him flying in space (he just couldn't breathe without external oxygen supply). More problematic is the fact that, when Kara tried to contact Superman for help on a previous episode, someone at the DEO (can't remember if it was J'onn or not) told her he was on a mission off-planet. But if Kryptonian flight power doesn't work in space, how was he off-planet?

Could've been clearer. Maybe it has some form of tractor team? Depending on how it functions it could conceivably "open" to get Kara and keep the atmosphere in it. I'm more confused as to how Alex was able to use it at all rather than the pods ability.
    Could have been clearer? That implies at least some baseline of clarity when, in fact, there was none. They made no effort to explain any of it. That said, given that the DEO has had the pod in-house since Kara landed and Alex is a scientist who has had years to study it, I find the idea that she could fly it more plausible than the idea that a pod designed to carry a 12-year-old girl would be much use carrying two grown women.

They do. It happened in Superman Returns when he tried to catch the jetliner. And in the comics, he usually catches falling aircraft by the undercarriage, not the wing, presumably to avoid the wing breaking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This was actually a pretty good day for Supergirl, all things considered. She saves National City, she saves the world, she beat Non, J'onn and Alex are pardoned and rejoin the DEO, Lord actually seems to care about her a bit now, Clark is proud of her, she got a promotion, Cat finally pronounced her name correctly, and she got the guy to boot. Barry and Ollie wish they were as successful in the season 1 finale's of their show .

I think Melissa Benoist did a great job with that inspirational scene. She really put her heart into that, and even I was kinda feeling inspired by it. This girl was born to play Supergirl, and be the symbol and inspiration that S is supposed to stand for, and I hope she gets a lot more opportunity to continue doing so in the future .

That's General Lane for you. Heartwarming father one scene, untrusting and unrelenting government official the next. At least he came around by the end, and when you get right down to it you can't deny he truly loves his daughter. Though Lucy mentioning Lois has reminded me how much I want to see the elder Lane, what she's like in this universe, and how she plays off the rest of the cast.

I think Kara unintentionally lobotomized Non, so he'll now have the grunting brute personality he traditionally has in the comics. The creators talked about doing their own take on the "Superman 2 mythology," so I assume this is their explaining how Non goes from the Zod-ish guy here to Superman 2 Non.

Indigo's love for Non ultimately proved her undoing, as she was distracted by Kara and Non's struggle long enough for J'onn to rip her apart. Though somehow I doubt that killed her.

I wonder if they're ever going to cast someone to play Superman instead of showing us a CG version of him or just his boots. Probably not. But I can hope .

I am definitely curious to see what the DEO dynamic is going to be now. Will Lucy and J'onn both lead? Or will Martian Manhunter be a field agent like Supergirl? Is he going to go by J'onn J'onnz in public or start using John Jones? At least being back in the DEO will help Alex and J'onn with their investigation into Cadmus and their hunt for Jeremiah.

I wonder what Kara is going to do at CatCo now that she's basically given free reign to do whatever work she feels is right for her? Will she be an editor? An executive of some kind? How is she going to decorate her office? Is she going to dress less like a "working girl" secretary and more like a professional, powerful (yet kind and compassionate), businesswoman?

Dear lord, who was in that pod? Krypto? Streaky the Supercat? Comet? Mon-El? Earth-2 Kara (Power Girl)? Some version of Superboy? Miss Martian?

Suffice it to say, I really, really hope this series makes it to season 2. I think it well-deserves deserves it at this point.
    Here's an interview with Andrew Kreisberg talking about what he plans on doing in season 2.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18...son-2-spoilers

Basically he says that Supergirl did indeed lobotomize Non. Also Indigo probably isn't dead. And the Fort Rozz prisoners might still be a threat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Cheesy but enjoyable season finale.
    That was pretty much my reaction. It was shot through with plot and logic holes, but still delivered an entertaining hour, which is ultimately more important. Benoist did some really nice work here, as did Leigh.

Did it seem odd to anyone else that this was the first time Supergirl found out what happened to Fort Rozz? Seems like that might be something that would have come up, once she started working for the DEO. Plus, if the station had active cloaking capability, then why didn't the DEO move it to a secure location? I can understand not wanting to move it if it were visible, to avoid questions. But if can cloak, then it seems likely they could have found a way to transport it.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    That was pretty much my reaction. It was shot through with plot and logic holes, but still delivered an entertaining hour, which is ultimately more important. Benoist did some really nice work here, as did Leigh.

Did it seem odd to anyone else that this was the first time Supergirl found out what happened to Fort Rozz? Seems like that might be something that would have come up, once she started working for the DEO. Plus, if the station had active cloaking capability, then why didn't the DEO move it to a secure location? I can understand not wanting to move it if it were visible, to avoid questions. But if can cloak, then it seems likely they could have found a way to transport it.
    Well for one thing it's pretty heavy. What did they say, 100 million tons? And two, where else would be more secure than a desert out in the middle of Nevada? Other than a few town along I-80 and I-15 Nevada is practically deserted. It's about the least populated state in the contiguous United States. The only option might be Alaska.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well for one thing it's pretty heavy. What did they say, 100 million tons? And two, where else would be more secure than a desert out in the middle of Nevada? Other than a few town along I-80 and I-15 Nevada is practically deserted. It's about the least populated state in the contiguous United States. The only option might be Alaska.
    Well, given that the Kryptonians have apparently been using it as a secret base--at least fir several months, if not years--under the nose of the DEO and military without their knowledge, one would have to assume that the list of more secure locations is pretty damn long. (It also begs the question, have they always been using at as a base or did they all evacuate immediately after it crashed only for Astra and Non to return later. Either way, there was clearly some major security breakdown there.) And I imagine Superman would have moved it for them, if they asked. He may not like the DEO, but you'd have to think he'd like the idea of one of his enemies getting their hands on what's inside Fort Rozz even less. Plus, it's a spaceship, right? So it flies.
    Last edited by kalorama; 04-18-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Here's an interview with Andrew Kreisberg talking about what he plans on doing in season 2.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18...son-2-spoilers

Basically he says that Supergirl did indeed lobotomize Non. Also Indigo probably isn't dead. And the Fort Rozz prisoners might still be a threat.
    They keep talking like we're definitely getting a season 2 and they're already in the planning stages for it...so I guess that's a confirmation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Meh ending.

So there was actually no point in having supes come back from his space vacation.

Beating Myriad with the power of hope is straight up cartoon-level stuff.
    Yeah. They tried to make it "science-based" by saying Myriad affects the amygdala and the cerebral cortex are where hope and optimism reside. But that was really stretching it. I'll go along with it. However, it was paper thin at best.

And SG cant fly in space or super hold her breath? That was weird. So since she cant go that far where is Fort Rozz? Is it just hanging out in orbit?
    The fact that Supergirl (and by extension Superman) can't fly unaided in space irritated me to no end. This series supposedly draws on the Donner Superman films for inspiration--films where Superman and Kryptonians easily flew in space with no trouble at all. So, this new development grates on my nerves--and this is coming from a big fan of this show.

And Fort Rozz is probably floating around at the same point in space where Brandon Routh's Superman threw Luthor's "kryptonite condos" from Superman Returns.

Since Non got blasted in the face, does that mean we will get the standard Non? His brain got overheated and now he is all dumb?

SG and Jimmy is still weird.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The Kara/Jimmy romance has never worked for me at all. It's almost as bad as Olicity.

So who is in the pod? My guesses.

1. POWER GIRL! From another dimension.

2. SUPER BOY! AKA Mon-El aka Daxamite. Or a girl version of Mon-el cause this show likes switching stuff.
    Yep. My money is squarely on Mon-El.

We need a 2nd season of Supergirl because I've gotta see President Lynda Carter and I wanna see the Legion Of Super-Heroes even more!