Page 62 of 374 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Miss Tessmacher! That had me rollin' And it was a good Superman. I hope we get more than two episodes of him. Or his own show eventually.
    I've really been on the fence with Calista Flockhart, but I gotta admit Cat Grant was in fine form this episode. I loved the way she shouted for "Miss Teschmacher!" in note-perfect Gene Hackman style.

Some people online are saying this is the Donnerverse, but I disagree. I think, with the nods to so many different and divergent Superman narratives, we're supposed to see this reality as a synthesis of all those stories. So Lex Luthor is both like the villain from SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and like the head of Lex Corp (or Luthor Corp) from the Byrne reboot. There's definitely a pre-Crisis feeling to the way the Supers are kind and cheerful in public and the way they relate to each other on a personal level (almost as brother and sister), but we're clearly in a post-Crisis reality with Cat Grant and the DEO.

You could even say that Superman has taken to sporting those epaulettes on his cape as a tribute to his movie MAN OF STEEL father. Maybe Kara told him a cool story about his father. "Oh yeah, at one family dinner, he was wearing this Kryptonian gladiator outfit with fancy epaulettes on the cape. Uncle Jor-El was always doing crazy stuff like that."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    No chemistry between them. Probably the producers heard that and decided against it
    Really? I didn't get that, they seemed to have chemistry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You could even say that Superman has taken to sporting those epaulettes on his cape as a tribute to his movie MAN OF STEEL father. Maybe Kara told him a cool story about his father. "Oh yeah, at one family dinner, he was wearing this Kryptonian gladiator outfit with fancy epaulettes on the cape. Uncle Jor-El was always doing crazy stuff like that."
    I think she'd probably call him (translated, of course ) 'Uncle Jor', though

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    This. Was. PERFECT!
    I loved the pacing of this episode. It wasn't rushing to it's endgame like it was S1; it wasn't trying to pack everything in while rushing to it's endgame. They took out filler and just kept it simple.
    I think the writers heard the complaints from the fans and, with the move to CW, their sandbox is much more comfortable to play with. They can take their time making everything happen.

Hoechlin did a perfect classic Superman. More importantly? At no point did he hog Melissa's spotlight. It's still Kara's show. Clark is just visiting. I love that J'onn and Clark are at odds about Kryptonite. I love how I can see both sides of the issue.
    Wouldn't say he was "perfect"; would say he's damn close and a far sight better than the emo Superman we've been subjected to the last two movies. Yeah, the dynamic between those two was icy at first until you found out why. I'd think (if there's a Batman in this part of the DCU) Clark would understand why J'onn would have that supply and trust J'onn with it.

Kara? Awesome! Loved everything about her.
    She's just like a literal star: Always bright, always shimmering, always there. She can keep shinning AFAIC.

Cat Grant? Always a delight. I loved how she alternated between "mean" and "inspiring." She's such a great mentor for Kara.
    Sad that her appearances will be few and far between. A she was making a move on Clark! I was LOLing about that!

Lena Luthor was also a great new addition to the show. I'm very interested to see how she shapes up in this season.

There were classic Superman moments, references to the Reeves movies, and most important? There was a ton of heart and optimism. I really can't think of anything to gripe about, personally.
    Very hopeful of that the move pays off in spades for the show; this 1st episode doesn't do anything but reinforce that notion.

Given what we've seen of General Lane and the original Hank Henshaw, who Superman probably had extensive dealings with before the show, I can understand Clark's apprehension at the idea of the government having access to Kryptonite even if I have a good feeling about president Lynda Carter.

Also, while I've gotten used to the blue Heat Vision this show has been using from the start, it still felt weird seeing Superman with it...

With Lex's sister on the show, does that mean no Max Lord? It'd be a shame to lose everything we've built up with him last season. (although it would fit with my theory that the soon-to-arrive Maggie Sawyer will be a love-interest for Alex (since the writers seemed to dangle the Max/Alex pairing last season))

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    With Lex's sister on the show, does that mean no Max Lord? It'd be a shame to lose everything we've built up with him last season. (although it would fit with my theory that the soon-to-arrive Maggie Sawyer will be a love-interest for Alex (since the writers seemed to dangle the Max/Alex pairing last season))
    I am kind of surprised he wasn't mentioned at all.

I don't think it's even been addressed whether we'll see him again this season...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering if Lena showing up was a replacement for Max given the actor apparently has other commitments.

Supergirl is off to a good start ratings wise for the CW. A 1.1 in the 18-49 demo and 3.02 million total viewers.
    That puts Supergirl as the #2 CW show, the Flash getting a 1.3/ 3.17 million and Arrow a 0.7/1.87 million.
    Also tied Gotham at 1.1, though Gotham had slightly more total viewers, 3.35 million.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Supergirl is off to a good start ratings wise for the CW. A 1.1 in the 18-49 demo and 3.02 million total viewers.
    That puts Supergirl as the #2 CW show, the Flash getting a 1.3/ 3.17 million and Arrow a 0.7/1.87 million.
    Also tied Gotham at 1.1, though Gotham had slightly more total viewers, 3.35 million.
    HA! Fricking Arrow man, I swear. Hopefully season 5 turns it around, but after the clusterf*ck that was season 4, I suppose they can only go up.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    HA! Fricking Arrow man, I swear. Hopefully season 5 turns it around, but after the clusterf*ck that was season 4, I suppose they can only go up.
    All they ever needed to do was tone down the Olicity crap. IT RUINED THE SHOW. Kowtowing to shippers is the lowest form of fan-service.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Retired

After giving up on ARROW at the end of season 3, I went back and binge watched season 4 last month in prep for SUPERGIRL, FLASH and LEGENDS OF TOMORROW crossing over with it. Actually, binge watching made it much easier to take (plus I'd already been spoiled for what would happen)--and I didn't find it nearly as depressing as the long process of watching season 3 unfold.

The season debuts of ARROW (mediocre) and FLASH (frustrating) make a sharp contrast with SUPERGIRL (thrilling). I imagine that the debut for LEGENDS OF TOMORROW is going to land somewhere in the middle (but probably much better than its first season).

I was expecting at least some hint in SUPERGIRL of what was going to pull her into a crossover with the other shows. But if there was anything, I must've missed it. Maybe Mon-El isn't just from another planet but another universe entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Really awesome to hear! Happy that Supergirl had such a strong debut on the CW .

Poor Arrow .

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    All they ever needed to do was tone down the Olicity crap. IT RUINED THE SHOW. Kowtowing to shippers is the lowest form of fan-service.
    The whole business with Laurel also probably didn't help.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was expecting at least some hint in SUPERGIRL of what was going to pull her into a crossover with the other shows. But if there was anything, I must've missed it. Maybe Mon-El isn't just from another planet but another universe entirely.
    Mon-El is a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, which were hinted at on the Flash early last season.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by darima80 View Post
    Mon-El is a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, which were hinted at on the Flash early last season.
    I know there were one or two hints. I recall Cisco and Barry saw flashes of other alternate Earths and one of these showed a Legion flight ring (?)--or something like that--but "unclear." Of course, this would be early Mon-El, before he joins the LSH, if it holds true to the comic books.