Page 7 of 374 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    His insistence that Doomsdays human looking side can be redeemed results in the death of henry james olsen (jimmy's older cousin).
    Actually, Doomsday was all on Chloe. Clark wanted to throw the guy into the Phantom Zone well before that happened, but Chloe screwed it up and then took the serial killer to live with her on the run. Then, when Clark goes to confront him with a plan, Green Arrow shoots him with a Kryptonite Arrow and takes the team to confront Doomsday themselves. Chloe separates the two halves. Doomsday then slaps down everyone in the room.
    From what I recall, Clark was being fairly reasonable during that story.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

I'm much relieved to report that I liked this episode more than the pilot- the cheese factor has definitely faded.

I did notice what Frontier said about Kara's hair color being darker in the flashback, but strangely enough I don't remember it being like that in the pilot (though I haven't gone back and watched it again to check).

When Kara was attempting to save the ship from the fire I immediately went- oh man, why is she pulling instead of pushing? It's a minor thing though. Overall, this was a good solid episode.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Actually, Doomsday was all on Chloe. Clark wanted to throw the guy into the Phantom Zone well before that happened, but Chloe screwed it up and then took the serial killer to live with her on the run. Then, when Clark goes to confront him with a plan, Green Arrow shoots him with a Kryptonite Arrow and takes the team to confront Doomsday themselves. Chloe separates the two halves. Doomsday then slaps down everyone in the room.
    From what I recall, Clark was being fairly reasonable during that story.
    I'd completely forgotten about half of that, I remembered Clark beating himself up about Jimmy's death and thought he'd been on board for using the black K on davis bloome.
    I forgot Chloe had a bout of plot induced stupidity during the backhalf of that season

Hellgramite! Sweet! And Supergirl vs. Astra! That was cool too.

I'm warming up to the cast. I liked James not wanting to exploit his connection to Superman as well as Kara getting some sisterly love. Cat's good too, particularly her sensible advice, but I'm still not completely used to this world. A lot of Kara/Supergirl's lines are weird. Maybe it's her awkwardness?

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I so don't like James knowing Clark is superman
    I'm okay with it assuming that it took many years to get to. Superman's been active for like ten years in this universe, hasn't he? It'd actually be kind of cool to see a flashback of Teen Jimmy taking pictures of Superman and trying to make it in Metropolis. If we never ever get an appearance of Superman on this show, they should've done it like Birds of Prey, have it be a bit further in the future where Superman is dead/retired/missing and that's why Supergirl has to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    When Kara was attempting to save the ship from the fire I immediately went- oh man, why is she pulling instead of pushing? It's a minor thing though. Overall, this was a good solid episode.
    I thought that too, but I guess it's because they wanted to show how green she is. Also why she was so far away from the fire when she began to use her super breath? I'm not a huge fan of how this show is doing the super feats. The fights are good, and I know I shouldn't compare shows, but I feel like the stuff Flash does looks way better than anything Supergirl has done so far.

Why are all the Kryptonian's Heat Vision blue? I thought that was just to differentiate Kara Heat Vision from Clark's, but it seems like it goes for all of them. I wonder if Superman having red Heat Vision is because he's "special?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why are all the Kryptonian's Heat Vision blue? I thought that was just to differentiate Kara Heat Vision from Clark's, but it seems like it goes for all of them. I wonder if Superman having red Heat Vision is because he's "special?"
    I doubt it will ever get fully explored, much less touched upon, but...for an attempt at a No Prize...Kal-El's heat vision is red because he's been on a planet with a yellow sun the longest? Which I guess makes him sorta special.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or it could be that the Superman in this world doesn't have red heat vision, and that all Kryptonian heat vision is blue.

I guess that could be the case, though it'd be a little odd considering it's consistently been depicted as red throughout his history.

BANNED

Jimmy Olsen's been consistently depicted as a scrawny white dude throughout his history. Things change.

I find it interesting that they stuck to the established archetypes of superman mythos: Kara is Clark, Jimmy is Lois, new friend is new Jimmy, Cat is Perry, Maxwell Lord is Lex Luthor, her aunt is Zod, and she appeared to have what will likely be the Non and Ursa characters with her. If it ain't broke...

BANNED

Watching Gotham last night, it struck me as odd and a little interesting that DC is killing it on TV with light and fun superhero shows, while Marvel is going to the darker stuff on TV Netflix, while the opposite is true in the movies. Broadly speaking, DC is doing better with the light stuff on TV than their darker counterparts (Flash, Supergirl vs Arrow, Constantine, Gotham), while Marvel is doing better with their TV dark stuff (Daredevil vs AoS - hopes are pretty high for Jessica Jones as well).

Kind of the opposite dynamic from the movieverse, where Man Of Steel was generally a disappointment but Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Avengers have been much more entertaining.

In any case, Supergirl is really starting off hitting on all cylinders, building two interesting team dynamics without (as yet) falling into a wearisome WB teen angst pit. They've got a great premise started in creating a plausible explanation for monster of the week (which they have to do in order to provide a rotation of villains to fight) and they are really excelling at one of the more challenging aspects of any story about an invulnerable action character - making action scenes that you care about and provide a reasonable degree of anxiety in the viewer.

Plus, they are pretty creative about how they approach the issue of powers (loved the fight scene in the air - best done mid-air fight I've ever seen, though there was one shot where it was clear they were just hanging from cables).

All in all, I really think this is the show that's going to make or break the concept of a superhero show on a major network. AoS isn't doing and CW doesn't really count as a major network. So far things are looking very hopeful. Supergirl ratings will continue to decline for two to four more weeks, but it'll be interesting to see where they level off.

Ultimate Member

I'd take MOS over the Thor movies honestly, and the last two IM ones as well. Also, I've been enjoying this season of Arrow more than The Flash thus far.

BANNED

It's been a fun show so far, but nothing about it is particularity noteworthy or groundbreaking in comparison to any of its predecessors. It's following pretty much the same formula as the rest of them, the gender of its lead notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'd take MOS over the Thor movies honestly, and the last two IM ones as well. Also, I've been enjoying this season of Arrow more than The Flash thus far.
    I'd take the first Thor and Iron Man 2 over MOS, but that's my purely subjective opinion .

The only reason I might prefer Arrow season 4 to Flash season 2 is because Flash has started killing people for some reason .

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Jimmy Olsen's been consistently depicted as a scrawny white dude throughout his history. Things change.
    True, though I think red for heat vision is a better visual for it, especially since I think blue works better for freeze breath.

Incredible Member

So what do you all make of this show? I find the tone... like it was designed for young girls... Which I suppose makes sense but... it turns me off. I don't care about her insecurity and angst.

Oh well, I still have shield/arrow/flash/agent carter/legends of tomorrow/