Page 8 of 374 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    So what do you all make of this show? I find the tone... like it was designed for young girls... Which I suppose makes sense but... it turns me off. I don't care about her insecurity and angst.

Oh well, I still have shield/arrow/flash/agent carter/legends of tomorrow/
    Why is her "insecurity and angst" any more "designed for young girls" than Peter Parker's?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Why is her "insecurity and angst" any more "designed for young girls" than Peter Parker's?
    Or Superman's in Man of Steel. I think some insecurity and angst is to be expected; I don't want a lot more angst, but I think the show has done a pretty good job balancing her insecurity with her excitement. And I enjoy the more light-hearted tone. The tone wouldn't fit something like Jessica Jones, but it works well for Supergirl. It's fun, and I like that.

Incredible Member

Probably because I don't identify with it, at all. And they were kind of heavy handed with the girl power speeches and women having to work so much harder to get ahead. Blah blah blah, I don't care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Probably because I don't identify with it, at all. And they were kind of heavy handed with the girl power speeches and women having to work so much harder to get ahead. Blah blah blah, I don't care.
    Whether you like or identify with it is a separate issue from whether it's gender-specific, which insecurity and angst are not. In both form and substance, Kara's insecurity and angst is no different than Peter's. If his isn't inherently "girly," than neither is hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Half of the budget for effects seem to have gone to blurring out Calista's face.
    Lmao I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
    I'm pretty disappointed with her acting here, she's been phoning it in. Actually most of the cast have been half assing it.
    There's zero chemistry between Kara and her sister, they feel more like roommates than sisters. Not to mention Kara's meeting with her aunt who she thought was dead. It's ironic since the show is pushing the family theme.
    Last edited by Coco; 11-05-2015 at 07:45 AM.

I enjoyed it. I felt some sympathy for Kara's little uhm slips, but it was fun to see her work her way back up. I continue to enjoy the action/fight scenes a great deal as they are not afraid to shove folks through a building

I was surprised to see Supergirl actually met her Aunt so soon but that's fine by me.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Ultimate Member

Kind of surprised that Kara seems to have had one single friend before the show started, wonder why she doesn't have any female friends, also kind of odd how the go back and forth between naming Superman and just alluding to him...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Kind of surprised that Kara seems to have had one single friend before the show started, wonder why she doesn't have any female friends, also kind of odd how the go back and forth between naming Superman and just alluding to him...
    We don't know how long she's been in National City, do we? I got the impression that it's not where she and her sister grew up. Making friends in a new city can take time. Besides, it's not like Clark Kent was ever shown to have a lot of friends outside the Daily Planet crew. Most of his real friends have always been fellow superheroes.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Wish we would have seen Hellgrammite go full insect mode, All we got was that weird mouth. Which was kind of cool.
    1st appearance in the comics was in BRAVE & BOLD #80 fighting Batman and the Creeper.

Melissa is a joy to watch. Can't picture anyone else playing Supergirl at this time.

The S Stands for Stronger Together. How many explanations for what the S stands for have been given in the Superman mythos?

Also, how would people like Max Lord to be portrayed on this show?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-06-2015 at 03:05 AM.

how much is accepted by the general public about the existence alien life forms? In particular, that humanoid -resembling life exists beyond Earth?

Ultimate Member

We don't know how long she's been in National City, do we? I got the impression that it's not where she and her sister grew up. Making friends in a new city can take time. Besides, it's not like Clark Kent was ever shown to have a lot of friends outside the Daily Planet crew. Most of his real friends have always been fellow superheroes.
    Well we know that they didn't grow up in National City, they lived in a lighthouse or something like it when Superman took her to meet the Danvers...nice part for Dean Cain given his history with the character...though Kara knew National City well enough to know her way around without looking the least bit lost ever, she's never had to ask for directions from anyone, even before she became Supergirl, so she's not new to the city. I just found it odd with all of the girl power stuff that she wouldn't have any female friends, and how they're not pushing Kara to be a part of any superhero team or any other superhero's seemingly even existing outside of Superman.

People on the show seem to know that aliens exist and that some look human and some don't...though I'd expect them to want for Kara to be different than Clark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well we know that they didn't grow up in National City, they lived in a lighthouse or something like it when Superman took her to meet the Danvers...nice part for Dean Cain given his history with the character...though Kara knew National City well enough to know her way around without looking the least bit lost ever, she's never had to ask for directions from anyone, even before she became Supergirl, so she's not new to the city. I just found it odd with all of the girl power stuff that she wouldn't have any female friends, and how they're not pushing Kara to be a part of any superhero team or any other superhero's seemingly even existing outside of Superman.
    Just because she doesn't have to stop and ask for directions doesn't mean she's a longtime resident of the city. (Besides, do you really think they'd waste valuable air time by showing her asking people where the grocery store is?) It isn't that hard to figure out how to get around a big city (esp. in this day of cell phone GPS, Google map, and Siri), but as anyone who ever moved from a small town to a big bustling metropolis will tell you, it does take time to make personal connections in a new place where you don't know anyone. That being said, just because we haven't seen any scenes of her hanging out with her girlfriends doesn't mean she doesn't have any. We're only two episodes into the show. Not all of the information and background can be front loaded in the first two hours. There's a reason why there are 20+ episodes in a season. Have some patience.

Ultimate Member

I didn't say that she'd been there as a longtime resident, only that when someone on the show tells her a street address or a building she knows where it is without looking at a map or using Siri.

The show is still a little sketchy for me. The aerial battle between Kara and Astra was comically bad. It telegraphed the bad wire work. And the "death grappling" was the cherry on top...it was more like a game of pattycake. Flash is great at working within its confines. I know it's Supergirl and people want the aerial battles, but if they're going to be handled so poorly, there's no point in having them -- they take you right out of the show.

Overall, the sense that I'm getting is that the show feels extremely dated, right down to the horrible big bad, looking like she's straight out of a Jem cartoon, with the blonde hair streak. Plus, the whole evil twin trope is really what we're going with? It's 2015 -- you couldn't at least make it an alternate reality version? I suppose I should just be grateful we're not in for a season-long arc where Kara thinks Astra is her mother.

I'll stick with it, because I'm a glutton for punishment. I watched all ten years of Smallville and developed a twisted love for it. At best, maybe Supergirl can occupy that same guilty pleasure role. Difference between Smallville and Supergirl, however, is that there's so many more alternatives these days.