Page 92 of 374 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 5596
    Retired

The parallels between the Danvers family and the Luthor family are striking.

Alex is the older biological child, Kara is the adopted child. Alex and Kara.

Lex is the older biological child, Lena is the adopted child. Lex and Lena.

Ultimate Member

That alien ship could easily be Mon-El's royal retainers and bodyguards and such that thought that he died and then found out that he was alive, they would stop at nothing to find him...or not...I meant that the Barry and Cisco part felt tacked on, like if you had taken that part out of the episode it would have affected nothing and felt like it was done simply to tie this episode of Supergirl into the crossover...

I love having Lena on this show. Her actions are really tough to predict, and I do find myself rooting for her to do the right thing. A lot happened here, and even though this was the first part of the crossover, I'm glad they didn't put all their stories on hold. Mama Luthor was taken down, J'onn reverted to normal (which was super quick, but him becoming a White Martian didn't seem to make much sense to me anyway), and Alex and Maggie's relationship progressed. At the same time, there's more Kara/Mon-El stuff to happen and James and Winn are still sitting on the Guardian secret. So a pretty good episode, just not much of a crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Miss Tessmacher was just casual sex to him. No rituals required.
    He doesn't want that from Kara.
    He now needs to know about earthly mating rituals because he unexpectedly finds himself drawn to someone he would want to things properly with, not just a fling.

As for frat boy planet, I don't think we're very different from Daxam. We're probably a lot closer to them than we are to Krypton, culturally.
    Modern day American culture, sure, but unlike many sci-fi planets, Earth has tons of different cultures, customs, and peoples. What I meant about Mon-El and Miss Tessmacher (and I realize I'm overthinking it at this point) is that I'm wondering how Mon-El even knew he could have casual sex with her in the first place without her thinking it means something else (and without protection...unless that was just him not understanding the phrase). He needed to bombard James and Winn questions because of Kara, but did he ask Eve any of those? I do think this episode handled it better, though. Kara tried having that talk with Mon-El, and he just had no idea what her sayings meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Max Lord on the TV show is entirely different from the comic book guy. The comic book Maxwell Lord seemed like Oscar Goldman (Richard Anderson). The TV Maxwell Lord seemed like he was supposed to be the love interest for Alex--but forbidden fruit, as a sort of John Shea Lex Luthor type.
    To be fair, the Pre-Countdown to Infinite Crisis Max Lord and Post-CTIC Max Lord feel like two entirely different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Who's those guys after Mon-El?
    The Reach?

Medusa is a stupid name for a Kryptonian project.
    It really is. The Kryptonians have no concept of Earth (specifically Greek) mythology, yet Cadmus comes with a reference to it and there's no connection made between the two? I guess since it is an alien language and all, it could've been anything and technically not have any relation to what it means on Earth. They could've easily called it Ottobinder, McGriddle, or Seymourbutts and it would be perfectly fine from a Kryptonian POV.

I'd love to be have been able to read Katie Mc Grath's mind when she was reading the script for this episode. Before she got to the end she was probably flashing back to Morgana from Merlin and thinking "not again".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    They could have made the Kryptonians much more sympathetic. All they needed was to have the weapon created in response to a White Martian genocide of a colony or an allied world. Then it ends up killing other aliens by accident or is adapted to do that by Cadmus. As is they look really bad.
    they've always been portrayed as classist asshats (save for the El family)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Watch the conversation that they have near the end of episode 5. It's there.
    I'm sorry if this sounds bad but did you have a brain fart, I said I was behind and the latest episode on UK tv was episode 4 so how the **** am I meant to watch episode 5 before its aired. I'm sorry but no the only option is to stream it which I'm not going to do because watching it on tv is a better experience. Now i'll watch episode 5/6 this weekend because I have a life. I still think that bi representation needs improving and I think if done well it would have the same result but what happens is generally like what happens with Willow and Sara, they have a female love interest and the fans doubt allow a male love interest because they wouldn't be lesbian enough.
    Truth is the best policy

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

This should not be considered a cross-over episode - this is more of a teaser to the cross-over..

Astonishing Member

I know the plot demanded that Lena screw up the virus warhead. However, the inconsistent speed blitz usage - OY! Oh, person with superspeed - I'm going to press this button that does blah, blah while you stand there with your head up your alien orifice. Oh, well.

Oh, hi - evil cyborg - I have an incredibly powerful distance weapon - instead I will go punch you. Oy!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    This should not be considered a cross-over episode - this is more of a teaser to the cross-over..
    Which I don't know why people were thinking it was going to be more than that. I fully expected it and was fine with it.

Retired

Kryptonainans haven't always been portrayed as terrible people. It's just a trend that's grown and grown since the Byrne reboot.

We should feel bad that Krypton was destroyed--that this glorious culture is no more. That was the point of the Siegel and Shuster story. It was a cautionary tale, that a great culture and an amazing world can be wiped out of existience through sheer inattention. And how tragic was the passing of that great planet.

The more that they make Krypton look like the Third Reich on crack, the more they make it seem like good riddance to bad rubbish.

And what does this say about Kal-El and Kara Zor-El? That they're the offspring of a fascist eugenics program? That they're better off on Earth, with their biological parents destroyed and their birth culture erased from the universe?

Stuff and nonsense.

BANNED

Kryptonainans haven't always been portrayed as terrible people. It's just a trend that's grown and grown since the Byrne reboot.

We should feel bad that Krypton was destroyed--that this glorious culture is no more. That was the point of the Siegel and Shuster story. It was a cautionary tale, that a great culture and an amazing world can be wiped out of existience through sheer inattention. And how tragic was the passing of that great planet.

The more that they make Krypton look like the Third Reich on crack, the more they make it seem like good riddance to bad rubbish.

And what does this say about Kal-El and Kara Zor-El? That they're the offspring of a fascist eugenics program? That they're better off on Earth, with their biological parents destroyed and their birth culture erased from the universe?

Stuff and nonsense.
    actually, Im kind of ok with that

they were destroyed because they were arrogant, they thought they knew better, could have saved their people and paid for it

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Kryptonians have been crooked for decades. Like every other comic book alien group (Kree, Skrull, Shiar, Martians, Thanagarians etc) they've all been portrayed as being extremely arrogant and superior among other races their interact with. In just about every story that involves Superman meeting Kryptonians who are not related to them, their first move is to subjugate, conqueror and colonize Earth. In every Superman origin, it's always the same. The people who ruled Krypton knew the planet was doomed but did nothing about it and nothing to save themselves. When it's not Brainac causing Krypton to explode, it's something the ruling body of Krypton did and ignored all pleas from Jor-El about how to fix it.

Ultimate Member

If anyone has played the Mass Effect game universe the Prothean race is held up as the ideal race that existed a long time ago and did all of these great things and is the model for current races and such, then in the 3rd game you find out that they were far more like ancient Rome where they conquered other races and viewed the races of our time as being primitive and basically enslaved the other races of their time through force, but wasn't Kara's father always kind of the black sheep of the family given his actions, though Jor-El could be as well because he was different. But I think that there's a difference between making a bio weapon and using it, the countries of the world right now have enough bio-weapons to kill everyone on Earth several times over so they're not that different...

Retired

Like Earth, Siegel and Shuster's Krypton had good people and bad people. The Science Council wasn't so much bad as just too prideful and stuck in their own worldview. But Jor-El and Zor-El were different. They were not so arrogant and had the vision to see the perils that faced their planet. That's why they took measures to protect their people and ensure their survival. That's how Kal-El and Kara Zor-El arrive on Earth.

If all of Krypton is evil then the Phantom Zone criminals aren't real criminals. They're political dissidents. This makes the true villains Allura and Zor-El who jailed their political adversaries and caused so much chaos and war on their planet that the people could not prepare themselves for the oncoming disaster.

If you like that story--then there's nothing I can say. But it's not the story that Siegel and Shuster invented and it puts Superman and Supergirl in a different light. They seem like the last survivors of some Hitler Youth program to advance the theory of a master race. In which event, the Luthor family are probably right to be fearful of them. On Earth, we're guarded about the offspring of dictators and despots--there have been too many Baby Doc and Kim Jong-Un examples from our history that we would trust the son and daughter of evil alien fascists to have a free hand. Especially with their super-powers.

That story makes no sense and I think that's what trips up a lot of the writers. They have to somehow make Superman and Supergirl look good, even though their corrupted story would justify a political system that most democracies have fought to overcome.

I see no reason to tell that farcical tale--other than a love for over-embellished warrior armour and big explosions.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yeah, the crossover could be re-capped in its entirety on tomorrow night's episode of the Flash. And won't Supergirl feel weird when Barry and Cisco tell her what the crisis is. "What? Aliens? I just finished fighting some aliens! Now I've got to fight some other aliens?"
    Okay, reading that made me smile.

I'm probably in the minority, but I am glad J'onn is back to his original self.

By the way, how did they get Mon-El's blood? Remember in the 1st episode of this season with Alex having difficulty drawing Mon-El's blood?

In my small weird opinion, I think that spaceship belongs to Supergirl's Earth's version of the Dominators (or their cousins) and they picked up some survivors from Daxam, but that's just my small weird opinion.