Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else tired of the action figure variant covers?

I think this trend needs to die a painful death (not the artists that draw them mind you) just that they should never again become a thing. Like in the year 2030 thwy should find a landfill full of these stupid variant covers. I am that tired of seeing them.

BANNED

I wouldn't say tired of them, but never really into them in the first place. That said, they are variants. Easy enough to grab the regular cover and move on. I tend to prefer Skottie Young "lil" versions, or anything drawn by Art Adams, but I'll take the regular covers instead. Don't worry, these variants will be gone soon enough. And whatever the next variant trend is you'll still have the regular covers (and probably a few more variants) to choose from.

If people keep buying them, they'll keep making them. Not much you can do, really.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Sorry not sorry but I've bought a few of them. I think they're fun. Not sure why anyone would hate them, if you don't like them then don't buy them.

I'm yet to get my first one, so no.

Oh I don't by them either I just get tired of seeing them. It would be different if one guy was doing all of them but apparently several people do them now.

BANNED

I've never even seen one. Can you post some examples?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Oh I don't by them either I just get tired of seeing them. It would be different if one guy was doing all of them but apparently several people do them now.
    So no one else is allowed to have them because you are tired of seeing them? And why does it matter how many people do them? It wasn't one guy doing the hip-hop covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I've never even seen one. Can you post some examples?
    It's mainly a Marvel thing. Star Wars did some as their many variants.

Secret Wars

And even Agents of Shield

I just wish they actually made the toys.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

They're not something I go out of my way for, but they tend to get on my nerves, in a technical way, as much as the lazier bombshell/cheesecake variants, or Character X Poster As Cover To Unrelate Book alternate covers.

But, they're just alternate covers. Ultimately, even the crappy or lazily done ones aren't even on half the comics. They don't have to be on yours. So, I'm glad they're out there for the folks who do want them.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I like the Secret Wars one. It's very clever and gets my nostalgia centers firing. I don't see any harm in covers like this, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I just wish they actually made the toys.
    Yeah, that's the closest thing I have to a beef with these.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Wow that Capt America Secret Wars one is good. It almost looks 3-D, like there really is an action figure there. The SHIELD one looks more like a paper doll.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Sorry not sorry but I've bought a few of them. I think they're fun. Not sure why anyone would hate them, if you don't like them then don't buy them.

This pretty much, a action figure variant of a character I like( or any variant specifically spotlighting that character ) is the bee's knees

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Wow that Capt America Secret Wars one is good. It almost looks 3-D, like there really is an action figure there. The SHIELD one looks more like a paper doll.
    Well, it fooled me. Is there at least a plastic pocket above the missing action figure or is that also special effects?

For the characters I like, I like them but mostly I don't pick up these variants. I have- maybe - 10 from the past year or so. That said, I don't let it bother me that they are there I just move on to the ones I like.