Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    LOL why do you say this as if it were fact? Quality control, ESPECIALLY with something so dangerous and expensive requires a person to actually fly it before production. Hence the need for test pilots.

Or are you talking about within the boundaries of the fictional DC universe?
    Look it up. Computers could safely fly commercial airliners now. but passengers would freak out and wouldn't accept it.

Wherever automation can happen, it will happen.

Boisterously Confused

Test pilot was the ultimate cool job in 1959, especially if you wanted shorthand for fearlessness in the eyes of children. It was the age of Project Mercury, and people still remembered the names of Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield. Truth is, the cool on that ran out of gas soon after the Apollo 11 landings, which oddly enough, corresponds to when Jordan climbed out of the cockpit and hit the road with Green Arrow.

The best suggestion that I've heard here is probably the race car driver idea, assuming you stay with Hal Jordan or somebody like him for Green Lantern. It retains the bold macho-guy career thing, but it also gives an excuse for Green Lantern to roam around the country

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I vote for astronaut though.

Actually this is the best option.
    I always liked how Joe Ledger (Dr Spectrum from Squadron Supreme - the GL analogue) was an astronaut.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Test pilot was the ultimate cool job in 1959, especially if you wanted shorthand for fearlessness in the eyes of children. It was the age of Project Mercury, and people still remembered the names of Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield. Truth is, the cool on that ran out of gas soon after the Apollo 11 landings, which oddly enough, corresponds to when Jordan climbed out of the cockpit and hit the road with Green Arrow.

The best suggestion that I've heard here is probably the race car driver idea, assuming you stay with Hal Jordan or somebody like him for Green Lantern. It retains the bold macho-guy career thing, but it also gives an excuse for Green Lantern to roam around the country
    I agree. And if you did a reboot, Carl Ferris could own the racing team and Carol could run it. And Tom Kamalku could be Hal's crew chief.

Another good thing about it that racing isn't going to become obsolete.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-27-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

I don't think racecar driver would work as a new origin job for Hal if you wanted to keep his character the same, racecar driver doesn't really carry the same amount of effort and hard work behind it as air force pilot/test pilot.

BANNED

I don't think racecar driver would work as a new origin job for Hal if you wanted to keep his character the same, racecar driver doesn't really carry the same amount of effort and hard work behind it as air force pilot/test pilot.
    Wow, I don't agree. Racing is dangerous, and the skill level is very high.

I know a guy who did some stock car racing, and he said that in his first race he was so scared he false-started twice.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Racing is harder than it looks, but it's not as risky as test pilot used to be. Test pilot, isn't even, that risky any more, though it is still very risky. And. it's not getting us progress, the way test pilots get us progress.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Hal should switch to remaining a test pilot.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Hal should switch to remaining a test pilot.
    I keep thinking of Macross Plus. Quit City

Hal Jordan, refusing to let jockeys on the ground or machines take over flying or test flying.

Hal Jordan: Last Damn Test Pilot and Not Retiring.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

When drivers climb out of racecars, they almost look like they've just climbed out of a boxing ring. Drivers get the bejimminies beat out of them by all the torque inside those deathsleds. It also takes a ton of skill and nerve to manage them on the track.

he should just be a regular pilot. that still takes a hell of a lot of skill and bravery. Hal has to wear that bomber jacket.

BANNED

If there won't be any more test pilots, then Hal can't be one. Not unless you want to set the comic in the past.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If there won't be any more test pilots, then Hal can't be one. Not unless you want to set the comic in the past.
    Lots of things in fictional media don't correspond to reality. Test pilots can continue to exist in the DCU. Also, there's no absolute proof test pilots will be extinct.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-27-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    Maybe he can be a guy who just likes to fly planes.
    Make him an ex military pilot who flies vintage aircraft at airshows to keep his hand in. Plenty of danger involved there, from the age of the airframe to the acrobatics, and it still gives him the freedom of being on the civilian side of things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Wow, I don't agree. Racing is dangerous, and the skill level is very high.

I know a guy who did some stock car racing, and he said that in his first race he was so scared he false-started twice.
    I'm not denying that racing is physically stressful and terrifying, I am talking about the career path to one becoming a driver.