Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more shazam?

All-New Member

Default more shazam?

I just finished the Shazam trade (compiled from the Shazam backup stories originally appearing in Justice League). I loved it. Aside from awesome Shazam appearances in team books, is there going to be any more Shazam and friends in their own title?

I love seeing him team up with other Justice League heroes, but I really, really, really want to see more of him and the other kids he lives with. That was an awesome premise, and a great revamp of the original setup that I loved as a kid.

Are we going to get any more of that?

Spectacular Member

There is at least going to be a single one-shot Shazam for the Darkseid War.

Quote Originally Posted by flex lamont View Post
    Are we going to get any more of that?
    Maybe if Geoff Johns stops writing the main Justice League title some day in the future?

Spectacular Member

Johns has said in a number of interviews that he wants to do a Shazam book/ongoing. I have a feeling that this one-shot will be a means for DC to test the waters... DC has had two recent appearances of Captain Marvel in his earlier incarnation: Multiversity: Thunderworld and Convergence: Shazam. As far as I can tell, both books were well received. I'm thinking they'll have one on the shelves by the time the Shazam movie hits the theatres.

I think they're waiting too long to launch a Shazam solo. They already missed the momentum from the JL back-up.
    Not that DC is good at taking advantage of opportunities. Not like there's a Supergirl show and no comic in sight, LOL.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think they're waiting too long to launch a Shazam solo. They already missed the momentum from the JL back-up.
    Not that DC is good at taking advantage of opportunities. Not like there's a Supergirl show and no comic in sight, LOL.
    I agree... It is outrageous that Supergirl has a TV show and doesn't have a comic series. I also think you are right that they have waited too long for a Shazam title. I'm hoping that they haven't missed the boat.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gbryantlucas View Post
    I agree... It is outrageous that Supergirl has a TV show and doesn't have a comic series. I also think you are right that they have waited too long for a Shazam title. I'm hoping that they haven't missed the boat.
    As far as I can tell, there are fans practically drooling for a Shazam title, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I don't think that boat was missed, because that boat hasn't left the dock in quite some time.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gbryantlucas View Post

Supergirl may not have a solo book but she's the leader of Justice League 3001.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member

I think Johns did miss the boat by waiting too long to release a comic series of his version of Shazam. He should have done it shortly after the Shazam backups were finished in Justice League. Since then, we had Thunderworld, an amazing Convergence two issue series featuring the original Captain Marvel, and the 75th anniversary hardcover trade release. At this point, I am more interested in having a series featuring the original Captain Marvel than the New 52 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    I think Johns did miss the boat by waiting too long to release a comic series of his version of Shazam. He should have done it shortly after the Shazam backups were finished in Justice League. Since then, we had Thunderworld, an amazing Convergence two issue series featuring the original Captain Marvel, and the 75th anniversary hardcover trade release. At this point, I am more interested in having a series featuring the original Captain Marvel than the New 52 version.
    You make it sound like Geoff Johns has plenty of time to write multiple comic book series?
    (He does have other duties at DC I believe . . . )

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    I'm sure Geoff would like to write a Shazam book, but for one, he is the CCO of DC, meaning he has to help out on the tv shows,movies,cartoons, trading cards..literally anything DC does involving media. And seeing as how there are like 2 new tv shows each seasons from DC and several new movies on the way, his hands are a bit full. Second, he doesn't want to do Shazam without Gary Frank on art again and they are busy on Batman Earth One at the moment.

Not to mention, I think WB even told him he is only allowed to write one comic a month since he is so busy with his other duties.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm sure Geoff would like to write a Shazam book, but for one, he is the CCO of DC, meaning he has to help out on the tv shows,movies,cartoons, trading cards..literally anything DC does involving media. And seeing as how there are like 2 new tv shows each seasons from DC and several new movies on the way, his hands are a bit full. Second, he doesn't want to do Shazam without Gary Frank on art again and they are busy on Batman Earth One at the moment.

Not to mention, I think WB even told him he is only allowed to write one comic a month since he is so busy with his other duties.
    Maybe he should name a successor in the mean time?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Maybe he should name a successor in the mean time?
    Well, it looks like Jeff Parker doesn't have any books left so....

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    . . . Not to mention, I think WB even told him he is only allowed to write one comic a month since he is so busy with his other duties.
    I thought that the limit was rumored to be two titles back when it was JL as the main title and he was also writing Superman (prior to Convergence) as the second one, but things could have changed.

BANNED