Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I dunno, maybe it's unfair to compare a title's first issue to another's tenth or twelfth, but Velvet's come out the same week as Bond, and I find Velvet far more engaging as a 'spy story'. Will surely keep reading for another couple of issues, but I wasn't very much impressed with the first, which came across to me as a pretty shallow introduction. I admit I have held some very high hopes for Bond, which undoubtedly plays into my reaction, but still, I'm in a wait-and-see with this.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Depends on what you're looking for in a spy story, I suppose.

I thought Bond's revenge trip was a great action piece and enlightening as to his character and ability in this comic. Being stripped of his gun, put down by his boss and boss' secretary (as usual for classic Bond), and sent off gun-less on what's played as, essentially, an errand is, to me, more interesting that if he'd spent the issue running around corridors shooting at uniformed thugs who're shooting at him. Or, if it'd be lots of talking and dealing.

This felt very close to the earliest Bond novels, really.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's unfair to compare a title's first issue to another's tenth or twelfth, but Velvet's come out the same week as Bond, and I find Velvet far more engaging as a 'spy story'. Will surely keep reading for another couple of issues, but I wasn't very much impressed with the first, which came across to me as a pretty shallow introduction. I admit I have held some very high hopes for Bond, which undoubtedly plays into my reaction, but still, I'm in a wait-and-see with this.
    I had the same reaction. I thought it was good, not great. I read Velvet after and was knocked out. That's how I want to feel about this series, so maybe my expectation are too high? It was a decent set-up, but it's got to get better over the next few issues if I'm going to stick with it.

It was more like the early novels than the movies.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's unfair to compare a title's first issue to another's tenth or twelfth, but Velvet's come out the same week as Bond, and I find Velvet far more engaging as a 'spy story'.
    I just read Bond and I think Velvet's first issue was better, and more of a spy story, than Bond's is. Brubaker is just at home when he's doing that kind of stuff. Not sure anyone is comics is better at it, atm, than he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Doughy Man! View Post
    I had the same reaction. I thought it was good, not great. I read Velvet after and was knocked out.
    I haven't read my copy yet (just got my books yesterday), but I'm looking forward to it. Velvet has been A+ so far. I admit being half-asleep when I read Bond, at one point almost dropping the issue, so I'm gonna read it again...

This actually felt a bit closer to the movies IMO than the novels-the flirtation with Moneypenny, Q (although without any real 'gadgets'), and Bond's attitude seemed to harken back to the films rather than the novels (Moneypenny and Q actually don't really do that much in the novels at all). Plus Moneypenny seems to be built more on the Naomi Harris version of the character as well.

Still haven't re-read it, but I did read Velvet. Man is that book good!!

Anyone read #2? I got mine (Finally!) yesterday. Everything was delayed due to Black Friday sales. I haven't read it yet because I need to re-read the first one. I'll get back here soon as that's done...

Yeah I read it and enjoyed it more than the first issue. Lot of nice Bondian touches
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Alright, I'm caught up. I didn't remember reading any of the first issue (must have been mostly-asleep). The second one was even better and moved the story along. Nice Bond-esque villians and supporting cast. I like it alot, so far...

Thought #3 really picked up from it's disappointing predecessor. This felt more tonally consistent, established more of it's own mood with some uncanny touches, and nailed it's typically brutal and wordless Ellis action sequence. My one problem with it would be that no one should be allowed to stage an action sequence in a warehouse again for 20 years or so, especially in a visual medium where budget and availability is of no concern. It's played out beyond belief.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Crap, #3 is out this week? I can't keep up with what's coming out when anymore...