Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default James Bond 007 • Dynamite • Appreciation!

Well, it's about time for the first issue of Warren Ellis (W) and Jason Masters (A) James Bond 007 to his shelves! I can't tell you how excited I am! Wait, yes I can!! STOKED about covers it!! Let's talk about it here!!

Last edited by Bl00dwerK; 05-22-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Warren's espionage/government agent stuff has been some of his best work. And, he's done some fantastic Bond riffs elsewhere.

Looking forward to this going hardcore and being heroically rewarding.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I love Bond, I love Ellis.... yeah, I am so looking forward to this.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Is there an official release date for the fist issue? All I can find is "This November". Judging by his interviews Ellis' seems to go in a bit less critical/deconstructionist direction than I generally like my Bond stuff to have, but I'll still definitely be checking this out.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Is there an official release date for the fist issue? All I can find is "This November".
    It's out Novenber 4th, according to TFAW. Right ahead of the release of Spectre here in the States...

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Warren's espionage/government agent stuff has been some of his best work. And, he's done some fantastic Bond riffs elsewhere.
    Far as I know I've never read any of his work, but I always hear good things...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Far as I know I've never read any of his work, but I always hear good things...
    He's one of my favorite writers. Planetary, Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and FreakAngels are 3 series I love to pieces. His current work has gotten more esoteric and not everyone likes it, but I do. He deals a lot with science and geopolitics with some metafictional qualities thrown into the mix.

I'm real curious to see what he does with Bond. What approach he takes, how much Fleming will we find in the story, or will it all be distinctly Ellis (as with Iron Man Extremis)?
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Judging by his interviews Ellis' seems to go in a bit less critical/deconstructionist direction than I generally like my Bond stuff to have, but I'll still definitely be checking this out.
    Well, that's good to hear. The less deconstructionist Bond is, the better.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Well, that's good to hear. The less deconstructionist Bond is, the better.
    It's still going to be a deconstructionist take. Warren thinks his **** through. But, it's not going to be an attack on James Bond, because that's not the job. The job is to find the good, exciting stuff and put a good spin on it.

The major Bond riff in Planetary wasn't an absolute horror, at all, he just couldn't afford to be an altruist.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

I'm on board for this one.

There have been far too few Bond comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I'm on board for this one.

There have been far too few Bond comics.
    Exactly. I was going to get it anyway, but putting one of my writing heroes on the book took it to over the top.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Doughy Man? You mentioned NEXT WAVE? well, yeah!
    I'm also looking forward to Ellis' Bond. Here's hoping it's able to meet expectations, which are pretty damn high....
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Well, I just saw Spectre, and Ellis definitely won't have to strain himself too much to top that one...
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Today is the day, right? I won't get mine until Friday so I'll see you guys again in a couple days. Enjoy the book!!

I enjoyed the first issue, although as usual a 22 page Ellis-comic felt a bit short short due to his habit of leaving long action sequences wordless. I also thought that the 60's retro tinge to the pencils and coloring made some sequences look a bit stiff, which of course might be a very conscious choice from the creative team. Most importantly though, the plot hooked me and the mood felt very Bond-like with a few sprinkles of edge provided by Ellis general sensibilities. Will keep reading.
    As of now: