Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Or daughters.

Oh yes, I'm riding this Donna thing till the end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    When it makes her the most unique Amazon other than Diana herself? Yeah, that by definition makes her cooler.

Scans, please.

Where has it been said that Aleka considers Diana a rival and that she wants to be better than her? I remember her beating Diana, throwing mud in her face, calling her "Clay." But I don't remember anything that makes me think that Aleka just wanted to be better than Diana at anything. All she showed was a desire to torment the only different girl on the island.

Exoristos DID date a man.......or a hermaphrodite........or.......whatever the hell Shining Knight was supposed to be. I never did understand what they were going with there. She dated a person who was referred to as being male. Let's just leave it at that.

So no, she was very much a part of "this cliché."

There is nothing problematic about a woman coming from an island of women and developing an interest for the other sex. IF Hessia is interested in men, then she came to our world to escape Paradise Island, discovered she liked men, and went on some dates. There's nothing problematic there unless you CREATE a problem.
    Shining knight is a transsexual character, his choice of gender was being a man. the relationship was out of any standart.
    the problem is lesbians are not taken seriously, like women can't satisfy other women, all lesbian need are men.

Aleka twice fought with Diana, but ww is a better fighter than her. Of course aleka wanted to win, be bettr than the "perfect amazon" she is a great antagonist

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Hessia does seem pretty boring. She's mostly a plot device. Now with gadgets.
    yep

Fantastic Member

Plot devices don't have personalities or interesting backstories.
    Does she have a personality? She fills in plot points, nothing more. And her backstory is only interesting because of the dearth of backstory from Azzarello.

No, her backstory is interesting because she's been hailed by Diana more than once as the most gifted healer to ever come out of Paradise Island and yet she fled, or was banished. Many fans are interested in the blanks being filled in to that tale. And this was Soule's doing. I love Azz's run but let's not credit him for something he had nothing to do with.

Fantastic Member

It's only interesting if it pans out. Piquing a reader's interest is not a backstory, nor is it characterization.

No reason in the world to assume its not going to pan out. But that aside, as it stands now the idea is interesting if the individual reader finds it interesting. I find it interesting just fine as it is right now being shrouded in mystery. So do others. You apparently do not and that's fine, but you don't decide that for others.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-10-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Shining knight is a transsexual character, his choice of gender was being a man. the relationship was out of any standart.
    the problem is lesbians are not taken seriously, like women can't satisfy other women, all lesbian need are men.
    I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

Exoristos dated a dude who identified as being male. She's no different than Hessia, if it's proven that Hessia dates dudes.

Aleka twice fought with Diana, but ww is a better fighter than her. Of course aleka wanted to win, be bettr than the "perfect amazon" she is a great antagonist
    She's a musclebound thug whose only motivation thus far is "treat Princess Diana like crap." That's not a "great antagonist." That's the beginning of a great antagonist, but more needs to be done with her personality and motivations before she's anything other than a two-dimensional yawn-fest.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Vanguard-01...as one who is fortunate to get my books early....Hessia? Personality? Oh she has that!!!
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    Vanguard-01...as one who is fortunate to get my books early....Hessia? Personality? Oh she has that!!!
    Glad to hear it! Can't wait to read it tomorrow.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Out of curiosity, why is it only now that Diana thought to seek Hessia's help? Surely her wisdom and skill as a healer may have come in handy before the situation worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is it only now that Diana thought to seek Hessia's help? Surely her wisdom and skill as a healer may have come in handy before the situation worsened.
    My guess is it's because Clark turned himself over to the government once he started to become really sick. Diana probably wanted to see if Luthor, Cyborg, and Dr. Veritas could save him before calling in Hessia. Then Clark escaped, and NOW Diana thinks it's time to call her in.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Does she have a personality? She fills in plot points, nothing more. And her backstory is only interesting because of the dearth of backstory from Azzarello.
    it's a character that never was thought as 3D, just another amazon that Diana hangs out. the Azzarello set up probably won't play on her backstory. I read the character for the present, not the backstory

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    the story will only end in August, this is the reason.

To me, its because it was Superman's decision to turn himself in and leave himself in the hands of the great scientists who were helping him. That didn't work, so now its Diana's turn to try her way.

BANNED

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

Exoristos dated a dude who identified as being male. She's no different than Hessia, if it's proven that Hessia dates dudes.

She's a musclebound thug whose only motivation thus far is "treat Princess Diana like crap." That's not a "great antagonist." That's the beginning of a great antagonist, but more needs to be done with her personality and motivations before she's anything other than a two-dimensional yawn-fest.
    she dated a transexual that identified himself as a man. Exoristos feel in love not with the gender, but with the person, she had to accept the condition of sir ystin.they are a lgbt couple. completely different from Hessia.

I don't think Aleka needed more to be her antagonist, she is not a villain. her motivations are enough to make WW life in paradise island not easy, and are enough to not be a big obstacle to turn her in a future ally. she is more in the gray area.

it's a character that never was thought as 3D, just another amazon that Diana hangs out. the Azzarello set up probably won't play on her backstory. I read the character for the present, not the backstory
    Right, because Batman would be just as cool a character if we didn't know that he only puts on a Bat costume and goes out to kick ass every night because he lost his parents. Yessir. If Batman just woke up one morning and decided to become a crime fighter, he'd be just as awesome.

she dated a transexual that identified himself as a man. Exoristos feel in love not with the gender, but with the person, she had to accept the condition of sir ystin.they are a lgbt couple. completely different from Hessia.
    You don't know CRAP about Hessia or her preferences, so that last sentence is just you showing your prejudice against this book and everything in it.

I don't think Aleka needed more to be her antagonist, she is not a villain. her motivations are enough to make WW life in paradise island not easy, and are enough to not be a big obstacle to turn her in a future ally. she is more in the gray area.
    She's still not a "great antagonist" until she has more depth of character than just "The butch chick who hates Wonder Woman because she was different." That is the sum totality of Aleka's personality and character purpose at this time.

I don't care if she's "gray area." I care if she's interesting. And right now? She's a dimwitted, arrogant thug. Yaaawn.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--