Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Right, because Batman would be just as cool a character if we didn't know that he only puts on a Bat costume and goes out to kick ass every night because he lost his parents. Yessir. If Batman just woke up one morning and decided to become a crime fighter, he'd be just as awesome.
    the backstory is a motivation/background for Batman, why he is like this. I don't read batman to be reminded in every comics that he saw his parents die. it doesn't make him more or less interesting, like every disney movie the parents die.

You don't know CRAP about Hessia or her preferences, so that last sentence is just you showing your prejudice against this book and everything in it.
    maybe you are right, but I doubt she will be anything but straight

She's still not a "great antagonist" until she has more depth of character than just "The butch chick who hates Wonder Woman because she was different." That is the sum totality of Aleka's personality and character purpose at this time.

I don't care if she's "gray area." I care if she's interesting. And right now? She's a dimwitted, arrogant thug. Yaaawn.
    different tastes on characters

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    the backstory is a motivation/background for Batman, why he is like this. I don't read batman to be reminded in every comics that he saw his parents die. it doesn't make him more or less interesting, like every disney movie the parents die.
    Oh, please! His backstory gets repeated ALL the time. He just had his own chapter in Secret Origins......Spoiler Alert! His parents are shot dead in an alley and he gets mad and travels the world developing his skills until he comes back to Gotham and decides to become a bat!

NO character's backstory is repeated in every issue. But backstories are what make characters interesting. Their past tells you a lot about who they are.

maybe you are right, but I doubt she will be anything but straight
    And what if she is? What does that even mean? It means she likes dudes. That's it. YOU are simply using that as a weapon to somehow prove that she's an inferior character to Exoristos because saying anything nice about a SM/WW character is unthinkable to you.

different tastes on characters
    Nope! Not different tastes.

You are making a factual statement that Aleka is a 3D and interesting character. This is simply not the case. She's not 3D because right now she's just a distinctive look and a surly attitude. That's not 3D. She's also not interesting because we don't know WHY she is the way she is or what she wants in life or anything else.

You're making unsupportable statements to prop up Aleka because you seem to be under the impression that comic books are about choosing a "side" that you want to see "win," when in reality, they're just two different books with their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 06-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is it only now that Diana thought to seek Hessia's help? Surely her wisdom and skill as a healer may have come in handy before the situation worsened.
    because the plot demanded that was not they way it should have gone at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    My guess is it's because Clark turned himself over to the government once he started to become really sick. Diana probably wanted to see if Luthor, Cyborg, and Dr. Veritas could save him before calling in Hessia. Then Clark escaped, and NOW Diana thinks it's time to call her in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To me, its because it was Superman's decision to turn himself in and leave himself in the hands of the great scientists who were helping him. That didn't work, so now its Diana's turn to try her way.
    I don't buy it. Why limit yourself? Why not try everything all at once? Was Diana really so overconfident that she had blind faith that everything was already going to be fine? Plus, if she felt the situation was handled, or in good hands, why wasn't she freed up to focus on the Lois/Brainiac problem she had so egregiously delayed already?
    Last edited by misslane; 06-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.

BANNED

I don't buy it. Why limit yourself? Why not try everything all at once? Was Diana really so overconfident that she had blind faith that everything was already going to be fine? Plus, if she felt the situation was handled, or in good hands, why wasn't she freed up to focus on the Lois/Brainiac problem she had so egregiously delayed already?
    Superman is the one with the problem so she let him handle it his way. I doubt scientists would like an unknown variable like magic in the equation.

In their eyes it could do more harm than good. After they failed, now it is Wondy's turn.

Science and Amazonian techniques are clearly not going to be the same thing. Hessia's work appears magical in nature if the purple ray was any indication. No one's limiting anything. Both sides are getting their shot to help.

In terms of the writing, the simplest answer is for the sake of the order of publication. Hessia is Soule's character, thus he's going to write her go-round and the order of the books dictate she gets her crack second.

In any case its a total non-issue for me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Superman is the one with the problem so she let him handle it his way. I doubt scientists would like an unknown variable like magic in the equation.

In their eyes it could do more harm than good. After they failed, now it is Wondy's turn.
    Nah, I think the serious nature of the problem would make any form of help welcome, and there's no indication that anyone insisted that only scientific approaches were allowed. It's a plot mistake -- one of many which seem to have dogged Wonder Woman's characterization during this event.

Science and Amazonian techniques are clearly not going to be the same thing. Hessia's work appears magical in nature if the purple ray was any indication. No one's limiting anything. Both sides are getting their shot to help.
    Except they both weren't tried at the same time, and Hessia wasn't exactly waiting in the wings or on call or anything. It's sloppy writing plain and simple.

The story doesn't demand they be tried at the same time. That appears to be your personal demand. Which I guess is fine to have, but that doesn't equate to a writing mistake or sloppy writing. Its not sloppy, its simply plotting in accommodation for a story that takes place over more than one book and more than one writer. Which kinda happens all the time in comics these days. I can understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea but there's not many mediums of on-going storytelling where plots aren't drawn out for one reason or another.

If any mistake is being made, its making anything and everything in this story revolve around Lois and call foul when the progress of the beats do not benefit her. That seems to be where this gripe is born from at least, it sounds like you want Superman's problem taken care of and out of the way in the least amount of pages possible so everyone turns their eye to Lois. But that's just not going to happen. This is Superman's story, not Lois's. She's a part of it, not the star.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2014 at 01:01 AM.

BANNED

Nah, I think the serious nature of the problem would make any form of help welcome, and there's no indication that anyone insisted that only scientific approaches were allowed. It's a plot mistake -- one of many which seem to have dogged Wonder Woman's characterization during this event.
    I think you're jumping the gun on this.

Doctors/scientists don't like unknown variables. Doctors will often stress how important it is to tell them what drugs you're taking because they need to know if it will adversely affect whatever it is they have in mind for the patient.

That's just science, magic is a complete unknown for them so it would make sense not to introduce such a wild card until afterward.

Superman tried it his way, it didn't work, now it's Wonder Woman's turn.

The story doesn't demand they be tried at the same time. That appears to be your personal demand. Which I guess is fine to have, but that doesn't equate to a writing mistake or sloppy writing. Its not sloppy, its simply plotting in accommodation for a story that takes place over more than one book and more than one writer. Which kinda happens all the time in comics these days. I can understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea but there's not many mediums of on-going storytelling where plots aren't drawn out for one reason or another.
    Well said.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I think you're jumping the gun on this.

Doctors/scientists don't like unknown variables. Doctors will often stress how important it is to tell them what drugs you're taking because they need to know if it will adversely affect whatever it is they have in mind for the patient.

That's just science, magic is a complete unknown for them so it would make sense not to introduce such a wild card until afterward.

Superman tried it his way, it didn't work, now it's Wonder Woman's turn.
    Totally agree.

Diana didn't want to bring in Hessia, sit back and watch as Luthor mocks and ridicules her at every turn for her "magic healing stone," and worry constantly about Clark getting the treatment he needs. If I were Diana, I'd also be worried about Luthor trying to steal the purple gem. I'd also be worried about letting Luthor know about Hessia, because that's giving him one of my loved ones to target when he forces me and the rest of the League to bow down to him for two years.

Clark had three of the most brilliant scientists in the world trying to cure him. There was no reason to assume that they would fail, so Diana held something back in reserve. Now that they've failed, it's time to step outside of science's domain. Enter Hessia.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Except they both weren't tried at the same time, and Hessia wasn't exactly waiting in the wings or on call or anything. It's sloppy writing plain and simple.
    In trinity war was established that WW doesn't believe in science, she is much more magic believer. Would male sense her bring Clark direct to hessia, not to military

In trinity war was established that WW doesn't believe in science, she is much more magic believer. Would male sense her bring Clark direct to hessia, not to military
    Too bad it was CLARK'S decision to turn himself over to the military and the world of science.

I suppose Diana should've knocked him out and KIDNAPPED him to go see Hessia? Against his wishes?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Too bad it was CLARK'S decision to turn himself over to the military and the world of science.

I suppose Diana should've knocked him out and KIDNAPPED him to go see Hessia? Against his wishes?
    like every couple: "let's talk"

like every couple: "let's talk"
    "Let's talk.............While the infection raging within you could flare up again at any moment and cause you to slaughter ten city blocks before you get it under control."

Yeah. Doesn't work so good, does it? The science boys didn't just have treatments they could try, they also had a cell that should at least have a chance of keeping SuperDoom restrained and away from people. I don't think Hessia has a magical dungeon lying around for just this kind of situation.

It was Clark's choice to make and it was the most expedient choice to get him off the streets and into a holding facility.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--