Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hippolyta: Pre New 52 or Post New 52

I'm not sure if we had a thread like this in the old CBR, but I figured I'd create this one anyway. Do you think Hippolyta was a more well-rounded and developed character in the old DCU? Or do you prefer the her current depiction? Personally I think Hippolyta was a much better character before the relaunch, though I understand if others like how she is now. What I loved was that while her desire to have a child without needing a husband was motivational, she was still flawed in a much more subtle way. This was a woman who let her arrogance get the best of her and thus allowed Heracles to outwit her and her people, yet still chose to serve out her sentence with them as the guardians of Doom's Door. We saw that she loved her daughter, but that their relationship wasn't perfect. Remember Diana was an only child raised by a single parent; she was all Hippolyta had and she could be quite overprotective of her. And that was understandable since Diana was pretty much the only good thing that happened to her in 3000 years. Hippolyta's arc was all about sacrifice, learning from your mistakes and trying to atone for past hubris.

So what do you guys think of Hippolyta in either of her incarnations?

My problem with the new one is we really don't know much about her but with most of the past versions we get something of her personality and her flaws. This one we do but still really Zeus. I don't mind but the simple fact Hippoltya knows better and she respects Hera. She loves Diana but really.I dislike the whole Diana being the only child in Marston's and we see them other amazons had kids.

I prefer Pre-52 definitely, she was noble, loving and fierce plus, I loved her relationship with Phillipus. Saying that though, I don't think it's fair to compare the two versions, she was a clay statue for almost all of Azz's run, she had what, 8 issues or so? She wasn't very fleshed out, but she seemed cool.

Though, I am not a fan of the fact she had an affair with Zeus and the fact that she condones sex raids.
    Last edited by Step; 08-16-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Pre New 52 she was one of my top characters. I don't care about the affair with Zeus, but I don't like getting rid of the male babies and murdering the soldiers. She came off okay in Demon Knights. I need to see more of her, I guess, but I don't like any of the Amazons except Diana right now.

Oh, and I hate her outfit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Pre New 52 she was one of my top characters. I don't care about the affair with Zeus, but I don't like getting rid of the male babies and murdering the soldiers. She came off okay in Demon Knights. I need to see more of her, I guess, but I don't like any of the Amazons except Diana right now.

Oh, and I hate her outfit.
    I despise it too.

Yuck.

I associate Blond Hippolyta with everything bad. Pre-Crisis she was a manipulative control freak that was always lying to Diana, or erasing her memories. The New 52 version endangered her entire nation because Zeus showed up naked one day and she forgot she was the queen of an island full of man haters, because he looked that good to her. Then she got knocked up and lied about it and then she let her daughter grow up being called names based on that lie. She's a selfish piece of work.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    I despise it too.

Yuck.

I associate Blond Hippolyta with everything bad. Pre-Crisis she was a manipulative control freak that was always lying to Diana, or erasing her memories. The New 52 version endangered her entire nation because Zeus showed up naked one day and she forgot she was the queen of an island full of man haters, because he looked that good to her. Then she got knocked up and lied about it and then she let her daughter grow up being called names based on that lie. She's a selfish piece of work.

That crustacean-like armor of hers does suck.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    I prefer Pre-52 definitely, she was noble, loving and fierce, plus, I loved her relationship with Phillipus, saying that though, I don't think it's fair to compare them the two version, she was a clay statue for almost all of Azz's run, she had what, 8 issues or so? She wasn't very fleshed out, but she seemed cool.

Though, I am not a fan of the fact she had an affair with Zeus and the fact that she condones sex raids.

I agree. We seen her in one issue and we already know much about her in past versions such as Marston's and Perez's
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Aside from liking that she's a blonde again, there's still really not much to go on in regards to New 52 Hippolyta. She didn't get to do much except relay her tale of the love affair between her and Zeus before being incapacitated and she remains as such right now.

I been wondering it seems to be next to Diana x Trevor pairing being popular for Wonder Woman fans, it seems to be Phillipus with Hippoltya is becoming popular

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I been wondering it seems to be next to Diana x Trevor pairing being popular for Wonder Woman fans, it seems to be Phillipus with Hippoltya is becoming popular
    I don't doubt phillipus and hypplyta is more pular than diana and trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Aside from liking that she's a blonde again, there's still really not much to go on in regards to New 52 Hippolyta. She didn't get to do much except relay her tale of the love affair between her and Zeus before being incapacitated and she remains as such right now.
    Why do people like blonde Hippolyta so much?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Pre-52 Hippolyta all the way. The only thing the new one has done is bang a married man and get pregnant. While I like Azz's Diana a LOT compared to the Purity Sue she could sometimes be in Post-Crisis canon, Perez's Amazon cast is better by leaps and bounds.

It's a shame re-reading "Challenge of the Gods" and seeing Hippolyta defy the King of the Gods to save her child, to shacking up with him because "he looked so kewl" in the new version. I like her new design though, blonde Hippolyta doesn't turn me off like it does some people.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Oh, there's no question that Hippolyta from the previous continuity is superior to New 52 Hippolyta in virtually every way.

I know blonde Hippolyta is how she was originally conceived, but I really liked the idea that Diana and Hippolyta had similar hair and eyes and actually LOOKED like they were mother and daughter.

Pre-52 Hippolyta was obviously more compassionate and forgiving than current Hippolyta. Pre-52 Hippolyta would have been disgusted by the raids, or at least the "after party" of the raids. No amount of excuses from New 52 Hippolyta could have convinced pre-52 Hippolyta that murdering men by the score was necessary or in keeping with the Amazon Way.

In general pre-52 Hippolyta was a better mother and queen than her successor here. I'm not willing to completely give up on New 52 Hippolyta, seeing as how we actually haven't seen very much about her. She could turn herself around, or even reveal that there's more to her than we've seen thus far. But based strictly on what we've seen so far? New 52 Hippolyta is in no way an improvement over her predecessor.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Oh, there's no question that Hippolyta from the previous continuity is superior to New 52 Hippolyta in virtually every way.

I know blonde Hippolyta is how she was originally conceived, but I really liked the idea that Diana and Hippolyta had similar hair and eyes and actually LOOKED like they were mother and daughter.

Pre-52 Hippolyta was obviously more compassionate and forgiving than current Hippolyta. Pre-52 Hippolyta would have been disgusted by the raids, or at least the "after party" of the raids. No amount of excuses from New 52 Hippolyta could have convinced pre-52 Hippolyta that murdering men by the score was necessary or in keeping with the Amazon Way.

In general pre-52 Hippolyta was a better mother and queen than her successor here. I'm not willing to completely give up on New 52 Hippolyta, seeing as how we actually haven't seen very much about her. She could turn herself around, or even reveal that there's more to her than we've seen thus far. But based strictly on what we've seen so far? New 52 Hippolyta is in no way an improvement over her predecessor.
    Actually in the original comic back in 1941 she had black hair,

I too prefer the Perez Hippolyta.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor