Vanilla

Question Need help choosing a few good Marvel comic books as a gift

Hello. I hope I'm posting this within the rules by asking for help here. I'm looking for some advice choosing a few good Marvel (possibly hard cover) comic books as a b-day gift for my boyfriend. He's a huge Marvel fan, but I'm having trouble deciding what to buy because there are sooo many books to choose from.

I'll add a bit more info about his preferences in the world of Marvel for clarity. His favourites are the Punisher, the Avengers and Ironman. These are his absolute favourites, in that order I think. He also mentioned that he really likes the Civil War, but I don't know much about that. He also really likes X-men, Captain America, Star Wars and Thor, in that order. Spider man, Hulk, and so on are good as well, but just not his favourites.

Based on that, does anyone know any good Comic books about these? Preferably those mentioned in the beginning. I think he knows all the classics already and has them on a tablet, so if there are any newer comic books with good quality pictures, that would be great. My budget is around 100 euros, max 120. I'd prefer 3 or 4 really good hard cover collection books than dozens of tiny paper ones, if anyone knows any.
    I'm sorry for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Well, if you are looking for recent stuff, I never read it so i can't vouch for how good it is, but Punisher did have a series recently, and there are TPB's of it: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=25986020 No hardcovers that i am aware of, though.

Likewise, the recent Bendis X-Men stuff, but it got sucked into crossovers sometimes so it may be a bit harder to follow. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?asm=24&TID=24079551 https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?m...0&TID=24334381 As you can see, those ones do have hardcovers. they also have deluxe editions https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?asm=24&TID=25799207 which have more issues per book. If choosing between the two, personally I would go for New X-Men.

I also quite liked the recent Magneto series. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=26014472

Recent Avengers, there is the Hickman epic, but it is quite long and would likely break your budget.

Thor, i highly recommend getting the God of Thunder: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=24256999 you can get the whole run in 4 volumes, which should fit your budget nicely. After that, there is the new Thor series with the new female Thor, which is a continuation of this, but God of Thunder is easily standalone as well. it is a great story with some absolutely gorgeous art.

There are also Marvel's new Star Wars books, but they are so new that each only has 1 volume (or will have soon, anyway). Just look for Star Wars by Jason Aaron, Darth Vader by Kieron Gillen, or maybe Princess Leah or Lando.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-27-2015 at 05:28 AM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Newer comics? I'd say Rucka's Punisher but that's partially out of print. The recent Punisher (by Edmonson) has been good as well, but not on the level of Ennis or Rucka. I find it hard to pick good stories, I'm afraid I'll suggest something he already owns. I support the Thor: God od Thunder hc (be sure to get the one with the $35 retail price), a recent Thor story with an engaging story and beautiful art. I'd also suggest Brubaker's Captain America but I'm afraid he might have already read that. Maybe give him a Star Wars Epic Collection? I can personally vouch for The Empire vol 1 and The Old Republic vol 1, they're absolutely great!

Civil War was a mini-series in 2006 so I'm afraid I can't give you any material related to that he hasn't read.

Sorry I can't help you anymore, I find this a hard one. If you need any links I'll gladly supply them for you
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Its a little impersonal why not just go to his local Comic Book store and get a voucher for $x that why he can pick what he likes and the guess work is outta your hands
    Going off topic that's what my friends do when thinking about getting a gift for me they know I love movies [dvd/Blu-ray] and get me vouchers so they don't double up with something I already got or buy something I wouldn't enjoy
    Hope that helps

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
    Hello. I hope I'm posting this within the rules by asking for help here. I'm looking for some advice choosing a few good Marvel (possibly hard cover) comic books as a b-day gift for my boyfriend. He's a huge Marvel fan, but I'm having trouble deciding what to buy because there are sooo many books to choose from.

I'll add a bit more info about his preferences in the world of Marvel for clarity. His favourites are the Punisher, the Avengers and Ironman. These are his absolute favourites, in that order I think. He also mentioned that he really likes the Civil War, but I don't know much about that. He also really likes X-men, Captain America, Star Wars and Thor, in that order. Spider man, Hulk, and so on are good as well, but just not his favourites.

Based on that, does anyone know any good Comic books about these? Preferably those mentioned in the beginning. I think he knows all the classics already and has them on a tablet, so if there are any newer comic books with good quality pictures, that would be great. My budget is around 100 euros, max 120. I'd prefer 3 or 4 really good hard cover collection books than dozens of tiny paper ones, if anyone knows any.
    I'm sorry for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Let me offer some help based on what you said but also ask a question. If you know whether he likes classic comics, modern comics, or both, that might help. Comics have changes a lot ocer the years. I personally love modern comics but also love the very earliest ones as well. These recommendations will just be modern stuff for now. You said nice pixturea so i'm assuming he likes good art with good colorists.

I second whoever said Thor: God of Thunder. my facorite thor story and some of the best art in comics.

I'm surprised people didn't mention this next one. If he liked Civil War, he'll definitely like the new Civil War volume 2.. Which happened as a result of the secret wars event, but is it's own story alone and doesnt require any info about aecret wars. It's basically a story about what could have happened if the civil war had not ended when it did, but was exacerbated by another violent incident.

Civil War 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/078519..._1446312177718

Quote Originally Posted by PLG1962 View Post
    Its a little impersonal why not just go to his local Comic Book store and get a voucher for $x that why he can pick what he likes and the guess work is outta your hands
    Going off topic that's what my friends do when thinking about getting a gift for me they know I love movies [dvd/Blu-ray] and get me vouchers so they don't double up with something I already got or buy something I wouldn't enjoy
    Hope that helps
    This is a really good idea but make sure the shop lets you use the gift certificate on anything in the store. I've had the experience with two shops who would not allow me to purchase new comics with a gift certificate.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1drman View Post
    Let me offer some help based on what you said but also ask a question. If you know whether he likes classic comics, modern comics, or both, that might help. Comics have changes a lot ocer the years. I personally love modern comics but also love the very earliest ones as well. These recommendations will just be modern stuff for now. You said nice pixturea so i'm assuming he likes good art with good colorists.

I second whoever said Thor: God of Thunder. my facorite thor story and some of the best art in comics.

I'm surprised people didn't mention this next one. If he liked Civil War, he'll definitely like the new Civil War volume 2.. Which happened as a result of the secret wars event, but is it's own story alone and doesnt require any info about aecret wars. It's basically a story about what could have happened if the civil war had not ended when it did, but was exacerbated by another violent incident.

Civil War 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/078519..._1446312177718
    I think it's not mentioned because it comes out in march 2016
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Id say if he likes iron-man id go with superior iron-man because i actually enjoyed that.
    for thor i would probably say Thor: god of thunder
    punisher well i like punisher but the only book i read with him in it was thunderbolts which i would suggest you buy him because it has hulk,electra,punisher,deadpool,agent venom and red hulk
    but for star wars i dont really know because im not really a big reader of the series but the old republic was good
    and for the avengers i have no IDEA.

Those are my thoughts
    favourite comics:
    multiversity
    batman and the mad monk
    uncanny inhumans
    convergence booster gold
    we are robin
    Grayson
    Spectacular Spider-man V1
    Spider-verse
    New Avengers
    Night of The Living Deadpool
    Revolutionary war Motormouth
    Bruce Wayne The Road Home
    Superman Earth One
    Civil War
    Arkham Manor
    Jl
    Jla
    and 1000's more

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I think it's not mentioned because it comes out in march 2016
    Or maybe it's not mentioned because people didn't read any further than the subject. Everyone wants to throw in their two cents as quickly as possible so they don't even read the part where the guy tells you about what he's looking for and about the person he's shopping for. He said his cousin often reads comics on a tablet. The second civil war is all available on the app because they have been released as single issues in comic stores everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 1drman View Post
    Or maybe it's not mentioned because people didn't read any further than the subject. Everyone wants to throw in their two cents as quickly as possible so they don't even read the part where the guy tells you about what he's looking for and about the person he's shopping for. He said his cousin often reads comics on a tablet. The second civil war is all available on the app because they have been released as single issues in comic stores everywhere.
    People are probably confused by Civil War 2 and Civil War that is part of the Secret Wars. He is referencing the Civil War which was a part of Secret Wars, which yes has all come out.

I might suggest for a Punisher story.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785145958/...=IDORD10APQ6CK

Which will probably have cameos from various other characters.