Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Batgirl, #45

Wedding bells are ringing in Burnside in Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr's "Batgirl" #35.

Full article here.

All-New Member

I don't understand why reviewers don't see how cliche/disrespectful/OOC/just plain dumb it is for Dick to show up at all in this issue. I would be more understanding if the writers treated Dick like the intelligent person he is, instead of this dumb schmuck they presented him as. The Dick in this book deserved to have his dick knocked to the dirt with the way he acted towards Babs. Babs herself could have at least given him a chance before biting his head off. The art wasn't bad and while I liked the expressions I thought other panels were just bleh. There have been plenty of forgetable issues in the 45+ Batgirl and 45ish Grayson/Nightwing issues but this one by far is my most disliked issue for either series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    I don't understand why reviewers don't see how cliche/disrespectful/OOC/just plain dumb it is for Dick to show up at all in this issue. I would be more understanding if the writers treated Dick like the intelligent person he is, instead of this dumb schmuck they presented him as. The Dick in this book deserved to have his dick knocked to the dirt with the way he acted towards Babs. Babs herself could have at least given him a chance before biting his head off. The art wasn't bad and while I liked the expressions I thought other panels were just bleh. There have been plenty of forgetable issues in the 45+ Batgirl and 45ish Grayson/Nightwing issues but this one by far is my most disliked issue for either series.
    Mainly because the art style and concept of the new Batgirl is too interesting to ignore the faults in the writing.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I thought this was another fun issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    I don't understand why reviewers don't see how cliche/disrespectful/OOC/just plain dumb it is for Dick to show up at all in this issue.
    The reviewers are just required to analyse the merit of the issue as a standalone story and how it serves the characters who regularly appear in the book. They don't have to keep track of all the appearances of a guest star like Dick in other books to see if this appearance is in synch with his appearances in other titles that they don't have to review/read.

From an objective POV, the story is pretty efficient (if a little too overcrowded) and even the resolution for Dick is an inversion of the typical romantic comedy trope of getting the ex-girlfriend again after going to great lengths to catch her attention. So it is not that cliched. And it has him come to an understanding too so not disrespectful.