Default Supergirl sale: beginners guide

So I noticed today that comixology has a Supergirl sale going on right now and I thought I'd check and see if there are any worthwhile volumes or issues to get. I'm a complete beginner to Supergirl (and the DC universe as a whole), and basically know nothing about her except that she exists and was in a few episodes of Smallville. Are there any high quality story arcs in the sale? A good place for a beginner to check out the series?

Here is a link to the titles on sale:
    https://www.comixology.com/DC-Superg...pergirl_Sale_A

Thanks!

Spectacular Member

My favorite Supergirl series was the one written by Peter David [Supergirl (1996-2003)]. I think you'll get something closer to the character on the CBS show if you start at issue 51 of that series (after the whole Earth-Angel story came to a close). However, if what you're looking for is background on the character of Kara Zor-El you'll probably want to go back to the Silver Age [More Classic Supergirl! (66 Items)].

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The new 52 Supergirl series is good. You've to read these volumes:

Supergirl Vol. 1: Last Daughter of Krypton
    Supergirl Vol. 2: Girl In the World
    Supergirl Vol. 3: Sanctuary
    Supergirl Vol. 4: Out of the Past
    Supergirl Vol. 5: Red Daughter of Krypton

Try the first one and see if you like it.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-27-2015 at 01:23 PM.

if they have the Batman/Superman arc "The Supergirl from Krypton" i'd go with that.

I read that the Batman/Superman issues are key before reading the Loeb run.

BANNED

Red Daughter of Krypton is the only thing I like from her. Wish she had better material.

If all ages comics are to your taste, then the "Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade" are very good indeed...I think one of the best Supergirl stories ever.

And it's the first stuff listed in the sale.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Volumes 4-9 of the 2005-2011 iteration are well done enough superhero comics-- though New Krypton got intrusive a bit.

The stuff before (I.e. Superman/Batman's "Supergirl From Krypton" and 05-11's first 3 collections) was hacked out shit that changed it's mind/direction every 2 minutes, and was rather creepy on the art side, to boot. Don't bother with those.
    Last edited by The Beast Of Yucca Flats; 10-27-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Oops, got the order a bit mixed up.

I'd much rather read about Kara than any of the other weird versions of Supergirl, but it really sounds like that 2005 volume is strange.

Really liked how they did her origin in the 2011 title.

the first 2 volumes of the New 52 Supergirl series were good, then it went downhill with that horrible H'El arc.

I believe The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl is up now, if you're prepared to venture beyond the post-Crisis world. Infantino artwork (if you know anything about the history of DC you'll know why that's a treat), and some fairly interesting stories that are not too dissimilar to the way the CBS series looks like it is being set up. The Linda Danvers character is very different to the Kara Danvers in the CBS show, though.

For Silver Age stories, you might find this guide I compiled useful : http://www.superwomenmania.com/supergirltl/

R5