Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I did too.. he's got a fairly large part in Milligan's Doop mini, Bendis has a good voice for him and he's (finally) getting a spotlight issue in All-New, he just had a spotlight issue in Amazing of sorts and remains on that team, and he's one of the few X-Men to appear in Original Sin. And even recently, he was a big part in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men. I think he's doing ok for himself.

It stinks that his Frozen story is being ignored.. but the majority of Liu's Astonishing has been ignored too.
    If Bendis "has a good voice for him" then there's no hope for the character.

The only good Iceman writer I can think of is Mike Carey.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    If Bendis "has a good voice for him" then there's no hope for the character.

The only good Iceman writer I can think of is Mike Carey.
    Why? Because you don't like Bendis? He has a good voice for the character because it's really the only voice Bendis uses in his book. The only one it fits is Bobby. It's like there's a bunch of Teen Icemen running around. Mike Carey is definitely one of the best, though.
    Last edited by cc008; 06-10-2014 at 07:32 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    CC wrote a great racist Iceman. I can't take Bobby seriously after CC's definitive portrayal.
    Racist? I forget that. He must've gotten it from Pa Drake.

OP, as far as Claremont's amazingly adjectiviest original run he didn't utilize Iceman much. He appeared in flashbacks and crossovers, of course, and as part of the O5 in two Fake O5 vs ANAD fights (first as robots and then as Dark Xavier illusions), plus the eulogy issue 138 and the Arcade story you mentioned. Off the top of my head, that's what I remember. And during the 17 year stint he wrote him in X-Factor, too.

The link below purports to list all of his Claremont-scripted appearances.

I like Iceman. He's maybe suffered from the Too Powerful for effective drama problem, but I think he can be done right--it's just rare. He's a great example for why comic characters should be able to grow again. And by growing I don't mean the Wikipedia list of things that happen to them/things they do. And it's all the worse with O5 Bobby around acting exactly like adult Bobby. I will have to re-read Liu's Astonishing--I don't remember being wowed like some. I do remember being annoyed that its events weren't reflected anywhere else. Alas...

http://www.comics.org/search/advance...s_indexed=None

Quote Originally Posted by skullfire View Post
    Racist? I forget that. He must've gotten it from Pa Drake.
    He snapped at Nightcrawler very early on one time.. something you would expect a kid in his mid-teens with no filter to do. Did he mean it? Probably not. Especially now that they're on the same team and seem to get along perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    He snapped at Nightcrawler very early on one time.. something you would expect a kid in his mid-teens with no filter to do. Did he mean it? Probably not. Especially now that they're on the same team and seem to get along perfectly.
    He snapped again to Kurt during Austen run I think. And was totally read by Nurse Annie for it.

CC made him one of valerie cooper's prime targets during her mutant registration campaign.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Yeah, I couldn't believe when Iceman had his little outburst to Nightcrawler during Austen's run. It was bad enough when he was a teenager smarting off to Thunderbird ... that he still had that attitude as a grown-@$$ man is appalling (sure, with the sliding timescale he was probably only 23-ish, but still).

You'll note that when Claremont came back in 2000 Iceman was glaringly absent, and only came back for one page in X-Men #108 because Claremont was leaving anyway and needed to explain how Iceman was suddenly back for the upcoming Joe Casey run.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Writers have their favorites and dislikes like anyone else.. it kinda stinks that Iceman was that character to Claremont, the guy who's written the X-Men longer than anyone else, but what can you do? I'm pretty content with how much he's involved currently.

Iceman and Beast are two of the few X-characters who became fairly successful without Claremont. Besides the elderly men, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, and Jean are the iconic X-men, all of whom Claremont had a hand in characterizing. The next most recognizable are probably Gambit, Beast, and Iceman, so I'd say he's doing pretty well for himself whether Claremont liked him or not.

Claremont tried his best to ignore the guy. Its really beautiful to be honest, how he would just disappear when Claremont stepped on.

I would have liked to seen Claremont build an Ice character from the ground up on his own. Thats really all Drake has going for him.

I have never been much of an Iceman fan, and I'm tired of all of this talk about his potential. Either not reach for it, reach for it or just stop talking about it!

I did like him when he was paired with Mystique. The most he has ever been interesting. His relationship with Kitty is another highlight but that relationship was never really given any attention outside of the headline.

So I don't blame Claremont for not spotlighting him at all.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Claremont never liked Iceman which explains why he never really wrote him well. Thank god we had Louise Simonson who did fun stuff with him over in X-Factor.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    CC made him one of valerie cooper's prime targets during her mutant registration campaign.
    Lol. She is such an amazing woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Claremont never liked Iceman which explains why he never really wrote him well. Thank god we had Louise Simonson who did fun stuff with him over in X-Factor.
    LOL. Comparatively speaking, that's quite true. Simonson's X-Factor was comedy gold. She should kick Bendis off and take the reigns on ANXM. Dare i say this should have been hers from the very beginning?

Iceman and beast are some of the few xmen who got to be more than just xmen members iceman having been a defender and champion so if Claremont really hated him I think it was better for iceman cause he got to branch out at least for a little while.