View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Magick #1

15 51.72%
  • Chew #51

2 6.90%
  • From Under Mountains #2

1 3.45%
  • Island Magazine #4

4 13.79%
  • IXth Generation #6

0 0%
  • Manifest Destiny #18

2 6.90%
  • ODY-C #8

0 0%
  • Revival #34

0 0%
  • Rumble #8

2 6.90%
  • Savage Dragon #208

1 3.45%
  • Spawn #257

0 0%
  • Spread #11

1 3.45%
  • They're Not Like Us #9

1 3.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 44 - Black Magick launches today!

Welcome to the weekly Image poll, vote for your favourite comic & join the conversation!

Last week's winner The Fade Out #10 garnered (fittingly) 10 votes, almost a third of all votes cast!

This week's quite a busy one: Chew begins "Last Suppers" - its last story arc in the long-running fan-favourite. Island Magazine has new work from Gael Bertrand, as well as a new chapter of Farel Dalrymple's Pop Gun War. Spread ends its current story arc, as does Manifest Destiny. Furthermore Revival has a good jump-on-issue this week, as does Rumble with its special Halloween-themed issue.

Lastly we've got a new book out, Black Magick, the new Greg Rucka/Nicola Scott (impressive creative team) crime/magic series debuts this week. Also available in oversized magazine format!

230328_s0.jpg

For me it will only be Black Magick - nothing else this week which is unusual

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Just Black Magick #1 for this week's Image releases. Looking forward to finally reading Monstress next week!
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Incredible Member

I do believe Black Magick will win almost by default this week. Not a great slew of titles from Image this week.

I'm gonna check out and maybe pick up Rumble just because it's a halloween issue and I've got nothing else but Hellboy this week.

Worth noting, the first TPB volume of Casanova - Acedia is out today, for anyone who'd been trade waiting that.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

And at $10! Yeesh, that $4 price point per issue is especially painful now.

Anway, only Black Magick for me too this week. The previews looked awesome so here's hoping...
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Eh, that's sort of the game at this point. Most Image vol.1 are $10. I don't mind paying the issue cover price.

Chew
    Black Magick
    Manifest Destiny
    Spread

In order of most likely to win my vote.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Didn't get a chance to read Black Magick (but I've heard nothing but good things about it). Here's how my list looks like so far...

Manifest Destiny #18
    Chew #51
    Art Ops #1

Manifest Destiny won for best Indie comic. Just... wow. What an ending. For those concerned about the goofier tone with the muppet birds... yeah.. this issue feels like a sucker punch back into the gritty harshness this series usually has.

Chew was great, but dang, not much in the story department this time around.

Art Ops was this week's new Image series and it's the second best new Vertigo series so far. It's not great and mostly is just a bunch of setup (weird pace to it and not enough art ops), but I see potential in this one if only for the quirky cast of characters I've seen.

I didn't comment on last week thread since I read no Image books. I did read another Indie comic by Gail Simone, her Vertigo series called The Clean Room. Poor pacing, lack of good characterization, and iffy execution dragged this comic down badly. I like the ideas and potential of the book, but this thing needed a bit more fine tuning.

I am excited about next week's new Vertigo series, Unfollow. Like the sound of the premise and Rob Williams is usually pretty good (like his Martian Manhunter series currently).

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Manifest Destiny won for best Indie comic. Just... wow. What an ending. For those concerned about the goofier tone with the muppet birds... yeah.. this issue feels like a sucker punch back into the gritty harshness this series usually has.
    I have been concerned about the stupid goofy talking birds. I still need to read this issue, and am looking forward to things getting real again.

Chew was great, but dang, not much in the story department this time around.
    spoilers:
    Olive becoming an FDA agent, and her and her new partner arriving at a massacre that Tony Chu just committed, isn't much of a story?
    end of spoilers
    I thought Chew was insane this time around. We got like 5 years worth of plot.

I did read another Indie comic by Gail Simone, her Vertigo series called The Clean Room. Poor pacing, lack of good characterization, and iffy execution dragged this comic down badly. I like the ideas and potential of the book, but this thing needed a bit more fine tuning.
    The Clean Room was super good! You always hate my favorite books lol
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 10-28-2015 at 05:43 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    spoilers:
    Olive becoming an FDA agent, and her and her new partner arriving at a massacre that Tony Chu just committed, isn't much of a story?
    end of spoilers
    I thought Chew was insane this time around. We got like 5 years worth of plot.
    I was talking more of overall plot, like with the flu and the alien stuff.

Also... spoilers:
    Sure that was Tony Chu at the end? Didn't look like him to me, thus it didn't register with me.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    The Clean Room was super good! You always hate my favorite books lol
    I don't know what you are talking about silly Ragdoll. *shifty eyes*

I just voted for Chew. Black Magick was good, but Chew won my vote the moment it told me not to read this issue until Easter because this was their Easter special.

spoilers:
    Sure that was Tony Chu at the end? Didn't look like him to me, thus it didn't register with me.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a futuristic Tony, decked out like Neo in The Matrix, standing in an ankle deep pool of blood, looking like a mad scientist.
    end of spoilers
    I could be wrong, though. Anyone else read the issue and want to weigh in?

Black Magic, Manifest Destiny, From Under Mountains, and Chew this time around.

From Under Mountains #2 was great atmosphere, but despite the deepening intrigue, the world building slowed the plot to a crawl. This one's getting trade-waited.

Black Magick #1...wasn't bad, but didn't blow me away either. I generally trust Greg Rucka and Scott's art was gorgeous, but at $4 a pop and a story that took way too long to get going, this one's also getting the Amazon pre-order instead of a monthly buy.

Chew #51 had some neat ideas that make me curious to see where the story goes from here, but not enough of a story-to-idea balance in that single issue to do much for me. I really hope the last year of issues isn't going to feel that rushed, though.

Manifest Destiny#18 took it for me this week. It wasn't just that the ending was a shocker, it was the reminder that it shouldn't have been. Lewis can be charming, Clark can be honorable, but these are both hard men who've done messy, merciless work on orders before. The book let the reader know that up front, but then let us assume that would simply be a matter of demons past, when it's very much not the case. And including Collins in that whole bit, putting his "you've made it to the big leagues, kid" moment in perspective...oh, that hurt. Fantastic work, art and story.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 10-28-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

I voted Black Magick.

I'm so far behind on Spawn and Savage Dragon, the next issues will probably be out before I'm even to reading these.

And I read Gail Simone's Clean Room #1 today and really dug it.