Super Moderator

Default "Batgirl" Team Talks Transgender Wedding & Status Quo Shift

Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr open up about Alysia Yeoh's wedding in "Batgirl" #45 and tease big changes ahead.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

"heroes shouldn't have happy personal lives"

Clearly no one at DC realizes that marriage doesn't guarantee a happy personal life. I imagine, in the case of a masked vigilante, it would make things very complicated. Maybe even more interesting.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

What I'm getting from this is that Alysia is probably going to become some sort of vigilante.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If the new status quo involves Alysia discovering Batgirl's identity and becoming a new Bat ally herself, that could be interesting. I'd like to see more of Jo as well.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

All-New Member

The writers need to do something big for #50 cuz Sept sales were at 30k, which is too close to the cancellation zone. Since its a diversity book I'm sure DC will keep it as long as it doesn't dip below 20k.

The only thing that really gets to me is "This was something we talked about when we took the book over..." ... when they seemed to disregard where Gail Simone left off with things, that Alysia was actually supposed to be Moving With Barbara; yet that didn't happen, and we barely saw Alysia in the span of issues that followed. Of course, this is nowhere near as bad as that aborted wedding of Batwoman, where the next issue picks up a few weeks later and only vaguely references an ambiguous "event" that transpired in-between, and waited nearly a year while the creators tried to figure out how to wrap up the previous storyline in a flashback in an Annual. Anyhow, I thought maybe Batgirl's creative team saw an influx of fanmail wondering what happened to Alysia and why she was no longer part of the main cast, which prompted them to weave her back into the book; not that it was planned all along.

I was trying to reply directly to someone's comment, but it didn't post that way, and now I don't see how I can Delete this post; only to Edit it...
    Last edited by FromTheAshes21; 10-28-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador18 View Post
    The writers need to do something big for #50 cuz Sept sales were at 30k, which is too close to the cancellation zone. Since its a diversity book I'm sure DC will keep it as long as it doesn't dip below 20k.
    Overall, DC did a lot to stifle fans of Gail Simone's run, with so many jarring differences in too short a time. Even the involvement of other characters, like Black Canary, seemed to contradict what had been presented before. DC doesn't care much for continuity, but when you change a book so drastically mid-series, you cut off the existing audience and hope a new audience picks it up. I'd say Batgirl probably wouldn't be cancelled, but it is kind of interesting that DC doesn't publish a Supergirl comic book anymore, even with her TV Series starting this week...

Batgirl has been absolute **** since Simone left the book and it sucks since Barbara is one of my favorite characters.
    Favorite Marvel Superheroes (in no particular order): Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Hawkeye (Clint Barton), Wolverine (Logan), Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Black Bolt, Deadpool, Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), The Thing, Cyclops, Emma Frost.

Favorite DC Superheroes (in no particular order): Batman, Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon), Zatanna, The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Black Canary, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Shazam.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Speaking of bats and weddings, what happened to Batwoman's wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Speaking of bats and weddings, what happened to Batwoman's wedding?
    Editorial happened.
    Favorite Marvel Superheroes (in no particular order): Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Hawkeye (Clint Barton), Wolverine (Logan), Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Black Bolt, Deadpool, Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), The Thing, Cyclops, Emma Frost.

Favorite DC Superheroes (in no particular order): Batman, Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon), Zatanna, The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Black Canary, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheAshes21 View Post
    Alysia was actually supposed to be Moving With Barbara.
    Barbara merely asks "wanna come with?" and there is no reply. No confirmation from Alysia's side. So no, she wasn't "supposed to".

I think a new status quo sounds good. They built this lovely world for Batgirl, but now we could use a solid story line in this world that they built.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-28-2015 at 04:52 PM.

I'm pulling for a Batgirl, Inc. They do have a few spare female sidekicks lying around.