Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Black Magick, #1

"Black Magick" #1 is an absolute game-changer from writer Greg Rucka and artist Nicola Scott, who introduce readers to Rowan Black at the intersection of her personal and professional lives.

Full review here.

Really looking forward to this. And wow 'game-changer' - now there's a superlative you don't hear about comics very often.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Okay, my inability to find any reaction to this other than exclamations of 'a must read' means I'm probably going to get this.

Incredible Member

I scoffed when the reviewer seemed to compare We Stand on Guard and Ody-C to Saga. Simply put, those two books are not even in the same league as Saga. Hopefully Black Magick is though...I will check it out tonight.

I went and got the book off Comixology.

Holy Jebus, that is a good comic.

Rucka has created an intriguing narrative with characters that are interesting in a world that I am eager to explore.

But for me the real stand out is Nicola Scott's art. I remember her from when she was drawing exquisitely sculpted Nightwing bodnuk for Secret Six, but here she has elevated her art quality by a factor of ten. The way she used colour is nothing short or a wonder. I simply lack the ability to praise it as highly as it deserves.

Book of the week, if not month.

Buy this. Now.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

This was a very intriguing first issue. Loved Nicola Scott's art and Rucka's writing here is just phenomenal. The characters just seemed so vibrant and real to me. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. It was a great start.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Thanks for finding an excuse to get the main character in her underwear in the very first issue.

Good issue, the bit with the phone ringing was the best part.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Great start to the series. I'll be buying the singles.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Really, really enjoyed this. I wasn't originally planning on picking this up, but the artwork really pulled me in.

One of the best first issues I've read in a very long time!

THIS WAS SO GOOD!

Great tension the whole way through, really creepy without being overkill with violence or gore. I wish the opening scene wasn't part of the teaser previews because that's such a great scene (a cell phone ring interrupting an incantation). The protagonist and setting feels like your typical Rucka book but the genre feels new for him, and considering the massive amount of research and detail put into Lazarus, I am excited to see what he does with the topic of witchcraft.

Art was drop-dead gorgeous. Nicola Scott dramatically raised her game here and the use of color was unbelievable. Nice lettering and design too.

No complaints at all. I can definitely see this vying for the title of my favorite comic.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

I agree with the posters above me, the art was amazing.

The writing, not so much. I don't think I'll be the second one.

Solid start. The art is phenomenal. The writing is top notch but I worry about story decompression and timelines.

I feel like this is a book thats going to eventually run WAY behind schedule.

I like it so far. The chuckle of the first part, the mystery of the shooter, and then that color page. I'll stick around for more.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

All-New Member

This is the best issue 1 from Image in quite a while. Agreed with others though that the comparisons between Saga and those other two books...not so sure on this. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, for sure.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

At DC toward the end of his time there, I'd thought Rucka getting past his prime, but his Image and Oni work has gladly dashed that notion.

And as for Nicola Scott, this series may very well be the work of her life.