Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Howling Commandos of SHIELD, #1

Frank Barbiere and Brent Schoonover introduce readers to a whole new set of recruits in "Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D." #1.

Full review here.

Mighty Member

Despite the plant zombies, it read in a very typical manner. However, I'll try the second issue just because of the Doomtree reference.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Despite the plant zombies, it read in a very typical manner.
    Feels like they tried to cover multiple zones and result ended up being rather generic.

I thought it was pretty bad. It didn't feel like a horror book at all, more like a weird parody. And the art was amateurish at times and the style and character designs were too generic.
    I hope someday we get a good supernatural/horror team book from Marvel, but this doesn't look like it.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

It looks like they're going for a Monster Thunderbolt ver. with this book. I hope that Jack Russell pops up and lay the smackdown on Capt. Reyna for locking up his niece.

This was a pretty nice issue to establish the main players, with a little bit of humor and pathos thrown in.
    I'm on board for issue 2.

Amazing Member

I enjoyed it this book is crazy and fun I can't wait for the next issue

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I thought it was pretty bad. It didn't feel like a horror book at all, more like a weird parody. And the art was amateurish at times and the style and character designs were too generic.
    I hope someday we get a good supernatural/horror team book from Marvel, but this doesn't look like it.
    I thought the art was great, has little bit of Mike Plogg in the mix. The only gripe I have is that Hit-Monkey don't have his shades and Hill always smiling(not really a bad thing). Jasper parts was funny but really who the hell gave him a rocket launcher..MARTIIIIINNN!

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Count me in with the disappointed readers. Barberi has shown himself capable of breathing new life into hoary old pulp cliches and themes in Five Ghosts, so I expected something less generic here. The books drips with potential, but it has started out as a very middle-of-the-road affair. Not bad, by any means, but certainly not something to look into if you're looking for something different.

It has potential. I just want more 30 Days of Night and less Monsters vs Aliens.....

Fantastic first issue. It had action, comedy, character-establishing moments, and amazing artwork. I was surprised to learn that spoilers:
    the team is kept on holding cells when not on missions
    end of spoilers. It really sets up this whole X-Men "protecting a world that hates and fears them" vibe, which has a lot of potential for future plotlines. What happens if/when the team decides they don't like the way things are? And to top it all off, there was a great cliffhanger ending.

Easily my favorite of the All-New All-Different Marvel titles thus far. Glad I subscribed, and can't wait for the next issue! 9 out of 10.

Okay, I've read it, and I'm liking what I see so far. I think i still need a primer about the monsters, and what they contribute to the team. I like the LMD angle on Dum Dum, but i kind of hope they don't have him switch bodies every issue, I mean, how many spare bodies does he have? And how often can his conciousness be transplanted into new bodies before it starts to break down? I wasn't aware Man thing could make any sort of noise, much less talk. And I'd kind of like to know what each of the monsters thinks about their current situation. I don't know why we need Warwolf and Nina price on the same team, if they're both wolf hybrids. Hit monkey still has me scratching my head though, and if Zombie Jasper Stillwell is supposed to be the comedy relief for this team, I'm not laughing. Manphibian is probably my favorite, and I'm warming up to teen Ambomination as well. I'll be sticking around for awhile.