Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    The Superman/Lex thing is not only a well of horribru angst (BAD! BAD! DON'T WANT THAT!), but is also incredibly gay. Excuse me if I would rather not have a Superman/Lex baby wandering around. Its brand-damage. Is that even possible? Where's the maternal mitochondria coming from?
    If you want him to be half-Luthor, how about using Lex's sister as female donor, Lena?
    To be fair, I think the Superman/Lex idea is bad myself but the whole gay angle is a result of bad description. I don't think Kon was ever supposed to be a literal offspring of Clark and Lex in the sense that Lena was the offspring of Lex and the Contessa. It was more a matter that Kon was more of a clone of one of them with genetic material spliced in from the other one.

Look at Damage who had the DNA of the JLA and JSA. You could describe him in a way that made it sound like he was the love child of a ton of heroes and Al Pratt. Nobody did that- possibly because of the number of donors involved- so we avoided the ick factor. Kon is nothing more than Grant Emerson reduced down to having one donor rather than a whole team.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    The Superman/Lex thing is not only a well of horribru angst (BAD! BAD! DON'T WANT THAT!), but is also incredibly gay. Excuse me if I would rather not have a Superman/Lex baby wandering around. Its brand-damage. Is that even possible? Where's the maternal mitochondria coming from?
    If you want him to be half-Luthor, how about using Lex's sister as female donor, Lena?
    It's obviously not possible, it's comic book science. That said, you're treating the matter as if Superboy was created as the child of Superman and Lex when he was created as a clone/fusion of both. Different things there.
    Also, take your homophobic views elsewhere (preferably away from society) or you'll be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    To be fair, I think the Superman/Lex idea is bad myself but the whole gay angle is a result of bad description. I don't think Kon was ever supposed to be a literal offspring of Clark and Lex in the sense that Lena was the offspring of Lex and the Contessa. It was more a matter that Kon was more of a clone of one of them with genetic material spliced in from the other one.

Look at Damage who had the DNA of the JLA and JSA. You could describe him in a way that made it sound like he was the love child of a ton of heroes and Al Pratt. Nobody did that- possibly because of the number of donors involved- so we avoided the ick factor. Kon is nothing more than Grant Emerson reduced down to having one donor rather than a whole team.
    Im just happy that Im not the only one who remembers Damage. Man I loved that character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Ok 1st you can't say you want the kal /lex thing back and then complain about it being to gay,make up your mind.

2nd the human clone made to resemble and mimic superman is not a "90s thing" it is a "origin" thing,and a "easy and simple way".

Now I'm not big on the hybrid thing,I would rather go full on human super clone myself,but if they said kon was clone of lex first,and then say they added as much as they could of supermans DNA,I would be ok with it.mostly because it closely resembles the human made into a super clone idea so much.
    Last edited by stephens2177; 11-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.

BANNED

Here are two ways I would want to see Superboy return (though not on this horrible Earth Zero, but that's another matter)

*Redo Dennis O'Neill's Sandman story, but set it during Clark's teenage years. The story ends, but the clone lives and, much like Ben Reilly, charts a different course despite essentially being Clark/Kal. You could also set this in present day and have the sand-clone stop aging as a teenager and then have the character proceed from there.

*Stick to the Clark Kent version of Superboy and do the series that Morrison set up with his Legion arc in Action Comics. Superboy only exists as a member of the LoSH. Set the title in the future, and have Clark's future uniform be the classic uniform.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    Here are two ways I would want to see Superboy return (though not on this horrible Earth Zero, but that's another matter)

*Redo Dennis O'Neill's Sandman story, but set it during Clark's teenage years. The story ends, but the clone lives and, much like Ben Reilly, charts a different course despite essentially being Clark/Kal. You could also set this in present day and have the sand-clone stop aging as a teenager and then have the character proceed from there.

*Stick to the Clark Kent version of Superboy and do the series that Morrison set up with his Legion arc in Action Comics. Superboy only exists as a member of the LoSH. Set the title in the future, and have Clark's future uniform be the classic uniform.

That's all well and good for a brand new version of Superboy,but I want a fixed kon-el,he is the character who has been great for 2 decades,and has been crapped on for the few years lobdell has held control over him.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post

I think there is room for both Kon-El and Clark Kent Superboy if done right.Having Clark Superboy only having operated in the 31st century while Kon-el in the present would work. I myself suggested before that DC do a SuperBoy and the Legion series and using that series to Retcon the classic suit being the first suit New 52 Clark wore prior to both the Tshirt and "armor" variations.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Yeah, there's no reason they couldn't do the Clark Kent as Superboy angle in adventures with the Legion and still have Kon-El. One has absolutely no contradictory factors to the other, so its the best all-around option to keeping classic and more modern ideas of the concept alive in the same world.

Though I'd rather little Clark wear no suit, rather that be the beginning of his idea of wearing a t-shirt with an S on it with his cape.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I wouldn't mind having a clark as superboy during his teen years in Smallville,and his time in the future with the Legion.

Kon as Superboy now,and I think it would be cool if kon showed up in the batman beyond book as a grown up kick ass Superman,surprising tim and teaming up again.

Chris/lor could also be superboy now,teaming with Damian,the fake new wally,and more Lil hero kids.

Oh and I'm more than ok with kon dropping the Superboy name and going by Scion,I've loved that name for him since that was the name of the episode of Smallville he showed up in.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I wouldn't mind having a clark as superboy during his teen years in Smallville,and his time in the future with the Legion.

Kon as Superboy now,and I think it would be cool if kon showed up in the batman beyond book as a grown up kick ass Superman,surprising tim and teaming up again.

Chris/lor could also be superboy now,teaming with Damian,the fake new wally,and more Lil hero kids.

Oh and I'm more than ok with kon dropping the Superboy name and going by Scion,I've loved that name for him since that was the name of the episode of Smallville he showed up in.
    Why not use the real child of Lois & Clark who is now in the new 52 as the new Superboy?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Why not use the real child of Lois & Clark who is now in the new 52 as the new Superboy?
    That could work, maybe. We'll have to see how things progress with that title. If Jon is working publicly as Superboy it sort of destroys the notion of Superdad working in secret (which, really, I'd be fine with. No Superman of mine allows people to die so he can remain hidden) but it's too early to tell how that book is going to shape up. Still, I wouldn't be against the idea conceptually.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That could work, maybe. We'll have to see how things progress with that title. If Jon is working publicly as Superboy it sort of destroys the notion of Superdad working in secret (which, really, I'd be fine with. No Superman of mine allows people to die so he can remain hidden) but it's too early to tell how that book is going to shape up. Still, I wouldn't be against the idea conceptually.
    Why do i have now the concept of a team book staring Kon-El, Jon Kent and a time hoping teenage Clark Kent of Earth 0 called SUPERBOYS written by either Grant Morrison or Jonathan Hickman dancing around in my head all of a sudden?

I'm still staunchly on the side that the family needs to eventually leave the main Earth and go home, if home still exists. And I think the majority of Superboy fans want a variation of the Kon-El clone concept, not an actual son of Superman, considering how the Jon Lane Kent thing went over.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Why do i have now the concept of a team book staring Kon-El, Jon Kent and a time hoping teenage Clark Kent of Earth 0 called SUPERBOYS written by either Grant Morrison or Jonathan Hickman dancing around in my head all of a sudden?
    Because you're an intelligent and creative person who has brilliant ideas, thats why.

Really, I thought you knew?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm still staunchly on the side that the family needs to eventually leave the main Earth and go home, if home still exists. And I think the majority of Superboy fans want a variation of the Kon-El clone concept, not an actual son of Superman, considering how the Jon Lane Kent thing went over.
    You could very well be right, but I think that after the last few years, most fans would accept anything if it was well crafted. Superboy's been losing popularity since Geoff Johns remade him in Titans a decade ago, and that trend just spiked with the New52 mess. At this point, people will gripe no matter what but if it was entertaining and well done, I think they'd accept damn near anything.

Though personally I still prefer the clone, I'd also be okay with Jon Kent (going public against daddy's wishes could be fun to see) or a Superboy from the future. About the only thing I really dont want to see is a young, pre-Metropolis Clark wearing anything other than the t-shirt and jeans. Let him time travel with the Legion or other young Supermen like Superlad suggests, okay. But I dont need a full return to the Silver Age concept of the Super-Boy from Smallville.

~ Black Panther.