152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daken

123 80.92%
  • Raze

29 19.08%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Daken or Raze

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Definitely Daken. I actually loved his Dark Wolverine series by Way/Liu and Cammo and felt the character showed loads of potential there. Even though I prefer him as an anti-hero, I thought Remender used him well in Uncanny X-Force and his demise at the hands of his own father was beautifully poignant and well-written. I would have let him stay in the grave though for a change, he hasn't been written well at all since then.

Ultimate Member

Daken is an offensive cliche, the depraved bi-sexual, and started out as that from day 1. All his 'cunning' is him simply violating a person's personal space and making sexual insinuations

More than that, his basic character is baffling. He's 60 years old, angry at a father he never met for allowing the mother he never knew to die.

Raze at least has a better powerset going for him. He can track a target anywhere, and be anyone.

That's far better than Daken's 'rape people' power, used in place of actual convincing cunning

daken sexy
    raze not sexy

so daken obviously

wolverine

has two sons

quintavius quire

and nightcrawler

the rest can burn
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Daken is an offensive cliche, the depraved bi-sexual, and started out as that from day 1. All his 'cunning' is him simply violating a person's personal space and making sexual insinuations

More than that, his basic character is baffling. He's 60 years old, angry at a father he never met for allowing the mother he never knew to die.

Raze at least has a better powerset going for him. He can track a target anywhere, and be anyone.

That's far better than Daken's 'rape people' power, used in place of actual convincing cunning
    Daken was created at a weird time. Gay characters were becoming more well known and accepted, but there were still so many accepted stereotypes that don't fly so well today. That being said, we do love him for it.

Problematic bi daddy Daken can use his dubcon powers on me any day OwO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

In Daken's defense, i think that Daniel Way (his creator) said that he didn't really write him as bi, he doesn't really have preference and sex is just a tool for him to get what he wants, wich is actually true for many sociopaths, so he is more like an evil asexual.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Raze knows how to totter around in 6 inch stilettos and his mother's wardrobe and still isn't an offensive stereotype like Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    wolverine

has two sons

quintavius quire

and nightcrawler

the rest can burn
    Booooooooooo

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    In Daken's defense, i think that Daniel Way (his creator) said that he didn't really write him as bi, he doesn't really have preference and sex is just a tool for him to get what he wants, wich is actually true for many sociopaths, so he is more like an evil asexual.
    But like Claremont, did he make it clear in his writing that Daken is asexual? If not, then he's gonna be perceived & written as bi.

Like how Mystique is assumed bisexual, even though she may have been intended as a strict lesbian. But Marvel being Marvel does nothing but show her with slews of men. Outside of occasional mentions of Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    But like Claremont, did he make it clear in his writing that Daken is asexual? If not, then he's gonna be perceived as bi.

Like how Mystique is assumed bisexual, even though she may have been intended as a strict lesbian. But Marvel being Marvel does nothing but show her with slews of men these days. Outside of occasional mentions of Destiny.
    I had never seen Daken shown any sort of genuine romantic feelings toward anybody and he seems to get his kick out of manipulating people than the actual sex, so i say that he is definetly that. His introduction was basically him destroying an inocent girl emotionally before killing her.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

I think other writers have mentioned it in interviews and even mentioned in the comics, but since sex is such a huge part of his character, it still feels sort of hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think other writers have mentioned it in interviews and even mentioned in the comics, but since sex is such a huge part of his character, it still feels sort of hollow.
    I always though than that was more fanservice than anything, after all some fans just want to see hot men f#$%, regardless of much of a bastard he actually is.

Wich of course is fine, i had my own weird kinks that i'm not proud, so i can't really judge then (Daken is not that kink though, i'm still fine with Logan drowning him)
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I had never seen Daken shown any sort of genuine romantic feelings toward anybody and he seems to get his kick out of manipulating people than the actual sex, so i say that he is definetly that. His introduction was basically him destroying an inocent girl emotionally before killing her.
    Same as Mystique. Both use sex as a weapon & Mystique has only shown romantic feelings for Destiny. But she & Daken will always been seen as bisexual characters.

I do remember Daken flirting with some girl in ANW and I think Laura cock-blocked him. But he didn't seem creepy in that scene. From what I remember, it read like more genuine interest.

Then seems I recall hearing about some guy he was involved with that he actually spared once and allowed to go free without killing or manipulation.

In the end, the supposed non-straight characters are all shallow. Like writers & JDW saying DP is pansexual, but never showing him with anything but women...Yawn.

But Daken is a classic example of Draco In Leather Pants. lol

Ultimate Member

IIRC, his his major scene is instigating the death of his girlfriend via suicide/murder, by insinuating a sexual relationship with a man he murdered. It was needlessly sadistic and honestly, kinda dumb.

So yeah, first appearance was 'depraved bi-sexual' played to the hilt. Daniel Way's statements are just him covering his rear, especially given that his 'manipulation in Dark Wolverine was leaning in close, and making sexual insinuations.

Even if we look past the depraved bi sexual, his origin sucks. He hates his dad because of a mom he never met? As Fang in Wolverines pointed out, Daken is a 60 year old man who can't get over his mommy issues