All-New Member

Default Miracleman HC - Marvel versus Panini

Ok. So I'm pondering whether to get the Marvel proper or Panini's hardcover (published for the UK market) of the Miracleman collections. Panini editions to my experience have better paper than Marvel nowadays but there's some wonky graphic design sometimes.

Can anyone comment on this particular case? I understand the content is basically the same with hefty extra material.

which one has the extra material?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewls View Post
    which one has the extra material?
    All three Marvel hardcovers have a bunch of extra material, it's almost 50% extra material (original art mostly) on all of them.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

OK are the collected editions censored like the reprinted monthlies were? If so that's a huge negative. I hope the eventual omnibus is left untouched (except for the coloring! It looks much better IMO). Art shouldn't be changed not to offend its supposed to make you think.

The collected editions are not censored, only the digital monthlies were censored AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    The collected editions are not censored, only the digital monthlies were censored AFAIK.
    Marvel censored the "n" word in Miracleman #15. Did they censor the collected edition too?
    BB

Huh, that's censored in the HC as well. Didn't know they changed that line...

Wtf well, they also censored the derogatory "f" word in a recent issue that changed the scene for me dramatically and its intention. This is art not a flipping recruitment book for idiots. They need to leave this art untouched. Just because it's funny books doesn't mean this isn't literature. Maybe the eventual omnibus will be correct. Doubt it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Wtf well, they also censored the derogatory "f" word in a recent issue that changed the scene for me dramatically and its intention. This is art not a flipping recruitment book for idiots. They need to leave this art untouched. Just because it's funny books doesn't mean this isn't literature. Maybe the eventual omnibus will be correct. Doubt it.
    I agree that censorship was uncalled for. Did they censor the visuals, as well?

But on the topic of leaving the art untouched, the coloring in the book has been changed drastically anyways! I suppose to a good effect for the most part, but it is very different from the original.

Does no one here buy the Panini books? They are somewhat cheaper at least in UK - and like I wrote, the paper is often better, but printing may be slightly worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Veltti View Post
    I agree that censorship was uncalled for. Did they censor the visuals, as well?

But on the topic of leaving the art untouched, the coloring in the book has been changed drastically anyways! I suppose to a good effect for the most part, but it is very different from the original.

Does no one here buy the Panini books? They are somewhat cheaper at least in UK - and like I wrote, the paper is often better, but printing may be slightly worse.
    I have the first Panini Spain volume and I think it's very expensive for the amount of real content. I believe there are more extras than story itself.

I dont think the art was changed AFAIK. The coloring is an improvement. Not because the colorists are better artists today but technology allows it. It doesn't drastically change the story. If anything I think it enhances it. Hell, I love when they recolor classic material from the silver age! The Kirby Tales from Asgard looked amazing and I think it made the Kings art only better. I wish they would redo it all! From golden age to the advent of modern coloring! A lot of people hate it but I love it on every book I've seen (aside from the butcher job Neal Adams did but even that wasn't unbearable... close though). Sandman and Watchmen are two more examples of vast improvement. Changing a word that literally changes a scene is wrong. Especially with the nuanced writing of Gaiman. We all know he wouldn't use that word lightly.

I would like to find out if these changes are permanent or will be corrected in the omnibus. If Panini publishes an omnibus and it is unaltered I will pay extra for that edition.
    Last edited by Gerald Keefer; 11-06-2015 at 01:52 AM.

lironhallak

I know this thread is from a while ago but I wonder, has anyone found out the answer to Veltti's question: should I get the Panini versions or the Marvel ones?
    The website BookDepository.com lists the first collection with different page counts for each publisher: Marvel - 152 pages, Panini - 178 pages.

I know I'd like to have the Panini version of the first Marvel book. I bought 2 and 3 in London last year and the spines bother me so if anyone has a Panini vol. 1, I'd be happy to trade or buy.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.