Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

DeFalco's work is overshadowed by a tumultuous time in the Spider office at Marvel. There are gems present in the run, and I think the run is pretty significant in its own way (all the MJ stuff, Alien costume stories, Hobgoblin stuff). But also his run just kind of ended abruptly, leaving things less than tidy story wise, in the middle of a pretty intense Gang War story.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I'm not sure if it counts or not, so I'm gonna ask:

How well remembered is the Tom DeFalco run on Spider-Man?

I feel that while not the longest run, it got a lot done in that time: He expanded Mary Jane's backstory revealing her to have known Peter was Spider-Man, created the Silver Sable, as well as the more minor Rose and Black Fox, was one of the creators of the Klyntar/Symbiotes (as a contributor), expanded upon the story of Crusher Hogan (the wrestler Spidey fought before Ben died), wrote the partway iconic and partway infamous Spider-Man vs. Firelord fight, and he wrote a crossover with the X-Factor (then a reunion of the O5 X-Men) where Spider-Man was thought to be a mutant.

However, while well received, I felt like it was one of the more underappreciated runs. It doesn't get quite thought of as a classic. Wonder why that is?

Imo, DeFalco is a GOOD writer, not a great writer. I think heís regarded appropriately by fandom. Many people like his 1980s ASM run (although it wasnít as good as Sternís run) and Spider-Girl has a huge cult following to this day, of course. His second ASM run in the late 90s (end of clone saga and then post-clone saga) ranged from okay to pretty bad, though.

I think DeFalco is a decent, but flawed writer. His ideas and plots are really good, but his execution is sometimes lacking and his dialogue is sometimes downright cringe. Heís contributed an important part of the Spidey mythos. Thatís undeniable though.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I'm not sure if it counts or not, so I'm gonna ask:

How well remembered is the Tom DeFalco run on Spider-Man?

I feel that while not the longest run, it got a lot done in that time: He expanded Mary Jane's backstory revealing her to have known Peter was Spider-Man, created the Silver Sable, as well as the more minor Rose and Black Fox, was one of the creators of the Klyntar/Symbiotes (as a contributor), expanded upon the story of Crusher Hogan (the wrestler Spidey fought before Ben died), wrote the partway iconic and partway infamous Spider-Man vs. Firelord fight, and he wrote a crossover with the X-Factor (then a reunion of the O5 X-Men) where Spider-Man was thought to be a mutant.

However, while well received, I felt like it was one of the more underappreciated runs. It doesn't get quite thought of as a classic. Wonder why that is?
    I love DeFalco's run! Maybe just my own bias, but I always assumed it was highly regarded. But I don't think it's discussed as much as it should be, because I'm not sure if you can ever discuss it enough!

His progression of Peter and MJ's relationship is especially strong, in spite of his intentions to eventually have MJ leave Peter at the altar. I think whatever his conscious intentions, he wrote her in such a way that she was healing from her troubled family past with Peter's help, and marriage was the next logical step. It's like his future self, the guy who would write more "Mr. and Mrs. Parker" stories than any other writer, was breaking through.