BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    has anyone else ever both written and drawn a core Spider-Man title
    The first one to do it was Al Milgrom.

My candidate would also be Bill Mantlo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    ASM #182-190 were pretty weak
    Certainly not the best Byrne you can have, with Mooney's inking, but still far from weak.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    the return of Mysterio after 100+ issues
    Technically, that'd be 100+ issues for Quentin Beck.

Jim Owsley/C. Priest needs to come back for some projects- ideally as an ongoing series, but certainly for some mini-series and one-shots at the least.

I do agree with all the Mantlo references. He's had three distinct Spider-Man runs, and the second on Spectacular was really good (the debut of Cloak/ Dagger, the Owl/ Octopus war, the street-level crime stores with Ed Hannigan channeling Frank Miller.)

That reminds me: Ed Hannigan's a forgotten creator. Yeah, he was imitating Miller's Daredevil, but it was a good imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Jim Owsley/C. Priest needs to come back for some projects- ideally as an ongoing series, but certainly for some mini-series and one-shots at the least.
    Spider-Man VS Wolverine is one of the best Spider-Man stories ever. But I don't think his other work is as good.

He's kind of like of Dennis O'Neil, in that most of the work is subpar, but a few of the one-shots are memorable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Ed Hannigan's a forgotten creator. Yeah, he was imitating Miller's Daredevil, but it was a good imitation.
    I can see were you would get that impression from, but he was actually more than a copycat, he had a real interest in composition, probably more focused on the panel than on the page, which is why he'd often come across as a Miller knock-off. His covers, on the other hand, were unmistakable:
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 11-04-2015 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wholeheartedly second this. Owsley / Priest's Spider-Man rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I can see were you would get that impression from, but he was actually more than a copycat, he had a real interest in composition, probably more focused on the panel than on the page, which is why he'd often come across as a Miller knock-off. His covers, on the other hand, were unmistakable:
    Those are lovely covers.

I think he was very interested in layout, in a way that's similar to Miller and Steranko. Though I'll still maintain that a Miller influence is unmistakable.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I think he was very interested in layout, in a way that's similar to Miller and Steranko. Though I'll still maintain that a Miller influence is unmistakable.
    Steranko's a good call, I'd say his interests ran indeed along those lines, generally speaking. The Miller influence was more evident, because at times, it was a perfect clone, but Frank was so big at the time, that it's hard to fault Hannigan, for doing it.

I think the way DeFalco's run ended, coupled with his run's lack of staying power, you could argue he is a forgotten creator.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Bill Mantlo for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I think the way DeFalco's run ended, coupled with his run's lack of staying power, you could argue he is a forgotten creator.
    Those sound like excuses, more than reasons. Stern had even less "power" and the ending of his run was also out of his hands, neither of which precluded said run from being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Bill Mantlo for sure.
    Bill Mantlo is my #1 pick among "forgotten" or even less-high profile creators for Spidey. His PP:SSM is very good and often great but he also wrote quite a few issues of Marvel Team-Up during that title's 1970's heyday. It really is a shame his work is not referenced more often and I urge any Spidey fan unfamiliar with his work to seek out his work on PP:SSM and MTU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Bill Mantlo is my #1 pick among "forgotten" or even less-high profile creators for Spidey. His PP:SSM is very good and often great but he also wrote quite a few issues of Marvel Team-Up during that title's 1970's heyday. It really is a shame his work is not referenced more often and I urge any Spidey fan unfamiliar with his work to seek out his work on PP:SSM and MTU.
    Would love a remastered "Owl / Octopus War" TPB. It still hasn't been collected outside of the b + w Spec Essentials. Of course, neither has PAD's Spec run.

I'll say Bill Mantlo as well. Nothing spectacular, but he was a solid writer for the series in one of the most underrated period of Spider-Man's history (the late '70/early'80). His stories were always fun to read.

Another name that isn't mentioned a lot is Howard Mackie. Some of his Clone Saga work is forgettable, but he was at helm of the series for so long that definitely is worth to mention. Unfortunately for him, he left with some pretty bad stories (co-plotted with Byrne).