Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I noticed something I did not expect when I was binge reading Spider-Man titles, Bill and Peter had the Spectacular title on bi-monthly basis for a while.
    Bill wrote the even numbered issues, I think 120 was his last one.
    I thought Mantlo was just occassional fill-in work at that point.

PAD wrote Spectacular 112-113
    Len Kaminski wrote #114
    PAD wrote Spectacular 115-119.
    Mantlo wrote 120.
    PAD then wrote 121-123.
    McKenzie wrote 124.
    Danny Fingeroth wrote 125-126.
    Kaminski wrote 127.
    PAD wrote 128-129.
    Layton wrote 130.
    131-133 were crossovers.
    PAD wrote 134-136.
    Then Gerry Conway took over.

I will give a shout-out to Fingeroth, given the decent comics he wrote in the 80s, and the impact of his Foes of Spider-Man mini-series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I will give a shout-out to Fingeroth, given the decent comics he wrote in the 80s, and the impact of his Foes of Spider-Man mini-series.
    His stuff was ok--but the Peter's parents returning plot as well as Maximum Carnage were both his brainchildren as editor. Not considered a great era for the character, and both stories really badly derailed the end of Michelinie's ASM run.

BANNED

See, this depends upon your definition of forgotten.

I feel Marv Wolfman is too often forgotten or overlooked despite doing some good stories and some really important things but his name isn't brought up too often like Stern's is. That being said to those who do remember and like him I feel they seriously overrate him and overlook his flaws.

Paul Jenkins is basically the 21st century version of Wolfman.

Bill Mantlo is way too forgotten even though I actually think alongside Wolfman he was doing the best Spider-Man title at the time and he was generally consistently good with a better handle on the character. He is also the first guy to truly define Spec as it's own magazine.

Fabien Niceza didn't contribute anything but his stuff was solid nevertheless

I'd back up the mentions of Jurgens.

Peter David is forgotten in so far as people remember his Sin Eater and 2099 stuff and remember factually he did Friendly Neighborhood but forget all the other great Spider-Man stuff he did or how good his FN run was. His Jonah and Sandman stories rocked. His 80s Spec run rocked.

Sal Buscema is perhaps forgotten because even though people remember he was there I don't think they appreciate the depth of his contirbution. He was pretty much THE Spec artist and his work was brilliant.

Sacasa is maybe the most forgotten guy because his work was superlative in 2006-2007 but overshaowed by Civil War and Back in Black, although he worked with te stauts quo maybe more effectivly than anyone else, delivering imo smaybe the greatest Aunt May and Black Cat appearences of all time.

To go out of continuity Sean McKeever's Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane was very, very, very good in the context of it's genre and audience, which is obviously very different to mainstream ASM.

Good point on Mantlo being the first to give Spectacular Spider-Man it's own identity.

I hadn't considered a similarity between Jenkins and Wolfman given that Jenkins is perhaps best known for shorter character based stories. But then he did have in quick succession three stories where Spider-Man was pushed to his limit: The finale of the Revenge of the Green Goblin saga, the Robot Master storyline and the Fusion storyline.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Why is no one talking about the most obvious forgotten Spider-Man creator, who left his indelible mark with a single issue?

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Why is no one talking about the most obvious forgotten Spider-Man creator, who left his indelible mark with a single issue?

A single issue?

Sir, you neglect his Untold Tales of Spider-Man back-up.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I'm gonna get hate for this but I didn't like the Hembeck Spec issue because his art didn't jive with the story which was a big game changer for the characters

BANNED

Default J M DeMatteis Spider Man Kraven

DeMatteis is great, but hardly forgotten.

One writer who never reached the level he should've got was Tom Beland.

He was a cartoonist who did a memoir True Story Swear to God about how he met his wife. He did a handful of Spider-Man stories, two of which were really good. Web of Romance was a one-shot about Peter trying to get MJ a Valentines Day gift. He also had a story in the Spider-Man Unlimited anthology about Peter and the heroes of the Marvel Universe helping comfort a student whose parents had died. Both stories were really good, but he didn't make it further.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

I would have to second, third, fourth the nods received by Gerry Conway. I would also add Ross Andru as, in my mind, he and Gerry made an incredible creative time. I rarely hear Ross brought up in discussion nowadays and it breaks my heart (RIP Ross).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dean View Post
    I would have to second, third, fourth the nods received by Gerry Conway. I would also add Ross Andru as, in my mind, he and Gerry made an incredible creative time. I rarely hear Ross brought up in discussion nowadays and it breaks my heart (RIP Ross).
    Ross Andru is terrific. I think he had the bad luck of being the artist at a time when the writing wasn't that memorable.

He joined ASM just after Conway's best story, and his biggest issues (The first Punisher, The Harry Osborn Green Goblin saga) occurred when he was still getting a handle on the character.

Wein's focus on New York landmarks gave Andru plenty distinctive visuals to draw, although that run (as well as much of Conway) were hampered by the low page count, which meant there was less of a balance between Peter Parker's difficulties and Spider-Man's adventures. The comics suffered as result (as evident by the lack of material from that run on the lists of the best Spider-Man stories) which meant less exposure to Andru's work later.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Default Happy Birthday Fabian Nicieza!!!

BANNED

Happy Birthday Garth Ennis!!!

Thanks for Spider-Man The Thousand.
    http://comicwow.com/blogs/1/1684/gar...ot-hate-superh

BANNED

Happy Birthday Ann "Annie" Nocenti!!!

I LOVED this 3-part story featuring Peter Parker locked up in an insane asylum! https://benjaminherman.wordpress.com...-mad-dog-ward/