Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Alex Saviuk!!!

Alex Saviuk started his professional career at DC Comics in 1977 after studying sequential art with WILL EISNER at The School of Visual Arts in NYC.
    Within a few short months, he became the regular artist on GREEN LANTERN and THE FLASH.
    He also drew SUPERMAN, HAWKMAN, AQUAMAN, The ATOM, and AIR WAVE, among others.

In 1986, Alex moved over to MARVEL COMICS filling in on IRON MAN 211 and various covers eventually becoming the penciler on DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH featuring The PHANTOM, FLASH GORDON, and MANDRAKE.
    Then, after successfully filling in on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN for 3 issues, he started a 7+ year run on WEB OF SPIDER-MAN followed by 2 more years on SPIDER-MAN ADVENTURES.

In 1997-98 Alex penciled the last 12 issues of THE X-FILES for TOPPS Comics (#30-41) and began his current penciling run on the SPIDER-MAN Sunday newspaper strip.
    In 2003, he also began inking the Spider-Man newspaper Dailies as well as joining the ranks of a Swedish publisher chronicling the adventures of THE PHANTOM (and more recently for Moonstone Books in THE PHANTOM GENERATIONS #9, 2010) .

In 2004, he assisted his mentor WILL EISNER on THE SPIRIT MEETS THE ESCAPIST published by DARK HORSE in 2005 which unfortunately was Will Eisner's last completed work before his passing earlier that year.
    In 2004, Alex also worked on the graphic novel FEAST of the SEVEN FISHES nominated for an EISNER AWARD in 2006, and that same year The Spider-Man newspaper strip also received a HARVEY nomination.

As of 2012, Alex is penciling a new STAN LEE created book called STAN LEE and THE MIGHTY SEVEN published by ARCHIE COMICS.
    Besides comics, he also does storyboards and conceptual art for advertising agencies and the occasional feature film (NEVER BACK DOWN, THE REAPING, HOOT, and LONELY HEARTS).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I would also go for Steve Skroce. Again, his run was pretty brief, and if I remember correctly was dogged by scheduling conflicts. He was also paired with Tom Defalco, in arguably his least fertile creative period as a Spider-Man writer. That said, his pencils were a fantastic fit for Spider-Man. His kinetic, lithe style was a breathe of fresh air and brought great energy to what was, I feel, an extremely underrated Electro arc in particular.
    I liked his kinetic, lithe style as well.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Larry Lieber!!!

Larry Lieber is an American comic book artist and writer, and the younger brother of Marvel Comics writer, editor and publisher Stan Lee.

Larry Lieber penciled The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #4-5 (1967-1968), the latter introducing in flashback the late parents of protagonist Peter Parker

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual # 5 J. Jonah Jameson Screaming by Larry Lieber + The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #4 by Larry Lieber

In 1980 and 1981, concurrent with the Hulk strip, Lieber contributed some degree of penciling on the daily and Sunday comic strip The Amazing Spider Man until Fred Kida took over as regular penciler. Lieber then succeeded Kida on the daily strip in 1986. Lieber also penciled the Sunday page again from 1990 through at least 1995.

He continues to pencil the Spider-Man daily strip as of 2012.
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index...._larry_lieber/

Since I became a fan of the character through the strip, it's likely that Larry Lieber was one of my first favorite Spider-Man artists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Happy 60th Birthday Tony Salmons!!!

"Give Me A Hand, Future Max" Story by Ann Nocenti. Art by Tony Salmons. https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.p...tem_type=topic
    Spider-Man attempts to stop a robbery at a jewelry store only to discover that the felon is a home-made robot.
    Later on, Peter Parker attends the Young Inventor's Science Fair and runs into Max, the robot builder.
    Unfortunately, a con man meets Max too, and convinces young Max to build the Future Max exo-skeleton for him.
    Now Spider-Man must stop Future Max's rampage across New York City!

Unused cover for Web Of Spider-Man Annual #1, 1985, Marvel.
    http://www.factualopinion.com/the_fa...view-pt-1.html

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Howard Mackie!!!

Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #75
    Significantly, this story restores Peter Parker as the original and one true Spider-Man (after years of debate and confusion), as well as reignites the epic feud between Spider-Man and the notorious Green Goblin.
    Many mysteries are explained and if that weren't enough,fate plays a hand in the birth of MJ and Peter's child.
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....howard_mackie/

Bill Mantlo. So much of his work is the origin point for where certain characters are now in the Marvel Universe.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Happy Birthday Rich Buckler!!!

Death of Jean DeWolff

The critically acclaimed Death of Jean DeWolff storyline begins with this issue. In a stunning development, police captain Jean DeWolff is found murdered in her apartment.

The entire city is in a state of shock over the killing including the police department, the staff at the Daily Bugle, and the Amazing Spider-Man.

Art by Rich Buckler http://www.comicsreporter.com/index...._rich_buckler/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would put Bill Mantlo up for this thread. He's one of the best writers of Spider-Man of the post-Conway era, churning out classic arcs like the first Carrion story and the Owl / Octopus War. But he doesn't get a lot of attention for his Spider-Man work.
    I'll always be grateful to Bill Mantlo for giving the readers of marvel comics Cloak and Dagger!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would put Fred Van Lente in here as well. For my money, he was the best writer of the BND era. He got a ton of flak over the Chameleon / Michelle rape debacle, but stories like "Red Headed Stranger", "Marked" and "Keemia's Castle" were some of the best Spider-Man tales of the last 10 years. FVL really needs to do more Spidey.
    I believe that FVL is responsible for Abby-L first Gwen clone simultaneously created with Kaine killing Joyce Delany second Gwen clone simultaneously created with Ben.
    I liked Joyce Delaney

BANNED

"Red Headed Stranger" is trash.

BANNED

A relief then that FVL isn't writing a Spider-Man comicbook series nowadays.

I've recently gained a greater appreciation for Chris Claremont's work on the character. There seems to have been some well-deserved renewed interest in his stories with John Byrne on Marvel Team-Up, but he also did some great work with Frank Miller (Marvel Team Up #100 introducing Karma), Michael Golden (Marvel Fanfare #1-2 with the Savage Land) and Sal Buscema (the Black Widow Black Widow saga from MTU 82-85.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've recently gained a greater appreciation for Chris Claremont's work on the character. There seems to have been some well-deserved renewed interest in his stories with John Byrne on Marvel Team-Up, but he also did some great work with Frank Miller (Marvel Team Up #100 introducing Karma), Michael Golden (Marvel Fanfare #1-2 with the Savage Land) and Sal Buscema (the Black Widow Black Widow saga from MTU 82-85.)
    I completely concur. Let me just add that I am a recently re-reading Roger Stern's original run on Peter Parker, the spectacular SpiderMan. It is an overlooked body of work as his run on amazing Spiderman is understandably placed on a short list of best creative runs ever. But there is very little not to like about his PP:SSM work; much like the ASM run, he mostly steers clear of big name villains and large scale stories, focusing instead on little used villains both from within Spidey's world and the larger marvel universe. Though it is not quite as accomplished as his work on ASM, there are quite a few very good to great stories here and nothing falls below a solid "B" here. A run worth revisiting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marv Wolfman's contribtuion is underrated, even though he was the fourth regular writer to tackle Amazing Spider-Man. The ten issues leading up to ASM 200 are excellent. Amazing Spider-Man #191-192 featured the unlikely team-up of Spider-Man and J. Jonah Jameson, combined with a dying villain seeking revenge, a story beat that transformed one of the B-listers from the Lee/ Ditko run into a man with nothing to lose.

The Burglar saga from Amazing Spider-Man #193-200 had Spider-Man pushed to the limit in the greatest series of challenges the hero had faced, with Wolfman and Keith Polland depicting defeats and triumphs for the wall-crawler. Each chapter was consequential. It featured the first appearance of the Black Cat, the the Kingpin mulling retirement (before he went on to become more of a Daredevil foe), the apparent death of Aunt May, the return of Mysterio after 100+ issues, as well as the rematch between Peter Parker and the man who killed Uncle Ben. It was The Gauntlet (and maybe Spider-Man Blue) decades earlier.
    I agree that Wolfman's contributions tend to be sorely overlooked.

His run was every bit as good as Len Wein's, in my opinion, but somehow tends to be forgotten.