Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I agree that Wolfman's contributions tend to be sorely overlooked.

His run was every bit as good as Len Wein's, in my opinion, but somehow tends to be forgotten.
    I'd say both of them are equally forgotten. Also, I find it an odd comparison, because Wein was as steady as they come, whereas Wolfman was all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    I'd say both of them are equally forgotten. Also, I find it an odd comparison, because Wein was as steady as they come, whereas Wolfman was all over the place.
    Personally, I think Wolfman's heights were greater.

We have recently seen the Burglar saga popping up in Best of lists, and it was collected so it's getting more exposure.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

As well it should imo.

Spectacular Member

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I think Bill Mantlo's work on the character is sorely overlooked. He introduced some really fun new villains (Cloak and Dagger, Carrion), brought existing villains over to Spider-Man (Boomerang and Speed Demon, who are now both commonly thought of as Spidey rogues, and giving Silvermane his robotic body, which greatly elevated Silvermane's threat level) and wrote some excellent stories, like the whole Deb Whitman saga, the original Carrion arc, the Ock/Owl gang war (which is the single best Doc Ock story, IMO) and a few others. Most of his stories, even the ones that aren't all time classics, are still really entertaining and fun reads. I think Mantlo had a great run on Spidey and I'm bummed that I almost never see his nam eon best writers lists.
    Last edited by Matt Parker; 12-18-2017 at 08:44 PM.

BANNED

Very much agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Thanks for coming up with the idea of running "Kraven's Last Hunt" as a crossover through all the Spider-Man titles.http://www.comicsreporter.com/index...._jim_salicrup/
    I'm responding nearly two years later, but Salicrup is pretty underappreciated. He took a big risk with KLH which paid off. And he made some major decisions with the Spider-Man comics in the 90s. It wasn't always artistically successful (although his persistence in getting JM DeMatteis on Spectacular Spider-Man worked out well) but you can't argue about sales.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    Maybe this has already been brought up, but I think Bill Mantlo's work on the character is sorely overlooked. He introduced some really fun new villains (Cloak and Dagger, Carrion), brought existing villains over to Spider-Man (Boomerang and Speed Demon, who are now both commonly thought of as Spidey rogues, and giving Silvermane his robotic body, which greatly elevated Silvermane's threat level) and wrote some excellent stories, like the whole Deb Whitman saga, the original Carrion arc, the Ock/Owl gang war (which is the single best Doc Ock story, IMO) and a few others. Most of his stories, even the ones that aren't all time classics, are still really entertaining and fun reads. I think Mantlo had a great run on Spidey and I'm bummed that I almost never see his nam eon best writers lists.

Bill Mantlo is one of my favorite Spidey writers; in fact, I often thought if we was on the main title (ASM) rather than PP:SSM, his work would be better regarded. As it is, though, anyone who goes back and re-reads his stories (thanks to Marvel Unlimited) can still discover what I think was a really solid era.

BANNED

Bill Mantlo did a marvelous job for sure.

Bill Mantlo IMO, did the best Doctor Octupus story. Only DeFalco was close to give us something as good.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    This original penciled version seems to almost be a first draft. There are significant changes between the two versions:

Colossus and Man-Thing removed
    Power Man and Iron Fist moved closer together
    Hulk completely changed
    Dr. Strange and Iron Man more battle ready poses
    Daredevil and Silver Surfer moved to the background
    Human Torch made a bit more prominant
    Thor flying
    Jack of Hearts added
    Black Widow removed

1983 - Marvel Team-Up Poster by Ron Frenzhttp://www.comicvine.com/ron-frenz/4040-3364/
    Ron Frenz is one of my favorite Spidey artists. In 1984, he was on "The Amazing Spider-Man" when I returned to reading comic books on a regular basis. His artwork was most memorable.

Remembered some more Forgotten Spidey Creators:

-Pat Olliffe (appreciated the job he did on "Untold Tales of Spider-Man". There was a certain bit of sadness in his artwork which I loved)

-Kerry Gammill (read a few of his "Marvel Team-Up". Really liked his artwork)

-Steve Geiger (I thought his artwork was neat. Too bad his run was so brief)

-David Lafuente (his artwork was one of the reasons I enjoyed "Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man")
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-04-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added some more Creators.

BANNED

I ADORED Pat Oliffe's run on "Untold Tales of Spider-Man". Every issue was pure joy to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    I forget the name of the writer but whoever created the Black Suit deserves a mention. He/she changed one of the most famous comic book Heroes whole look and not only got the fans to love it but also create out of it, one of the most famous Spidey storylines off all time, that takes some doing.
    The writer is David Michelinie.
    Randy Schueller envisioned an all black “stealth version” of Spider-Man’s classic costume that was “jet black so he could blend in with the shadows.”
    https://screencrush.com/venom-create...pider-man-fan/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marv Wolfman's contribtuion is underrated, even though he was the fourth regular writer to tackle Amazing Spider-Man. The ten issues leading up to ASM 200 are excellent. Amazing Spider-Man #191-192 featured the unlikely team-up of Spider-Man and J. Jonah Jameson, combined with a dying villain seeking revenge, a story beat that transformed one of the B-listers from the Lee/ Ditko run into a man with nothing to lose.
    Yeah. Wolfman and Pollard really nailed it depicting the character as such in Amazing Spider-Man #191

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Burglar saga from Amazing Spider-Man #193-200 had Spider-Man pushed to the limit in the greatest series of challenges the hero had faced, with Wolfman and Keith Polland depicting defeats and triumphs for the wall-crawler. Each chapter was consequential. It featured the first appearance of the Black Cat, the the Kingpin mulling retirement (before he went on to become more of a Daredevil foe), the apparent death of Aunt May, the return of Mysterio after 100+ issues, as well as the rematch between Peter Parker and the man who killed Uncle Ben. It was The Gauntlet (and maybe Spider-Man Blue) decades earlier.
    So true-so true! And the 1980's for the Amazing Spider-Man series started with a bang for the web-head since Amazing Spider-Man #200 was published in January of 1980.