Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would you object to a "Manly" Peter Parker?

Instead of the mile mannered snarky worry wort typical depiction, how would you feel about a Spider-Man that is fully assertive and confident to the point of being like Wolverine but less bloodthirsty. Also headstrong, risk taking and brash with pride, he never second guesses his actions and has no problems with women when whining.

I'd personally take it over a superior spider-man edge wise.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That would be an interesting take, but a lot of the charm of Spider-Man was how it straddled the line between what would otherwise be the "typical comic book superhero power fantasy" and emphasizing that Peter Parker was just as human as any of us reading his adventures and had his share of human doubts and worries and insecurities like the rest of us. Hell, Marvel became the comic book powerhouse that it was because it featured heroes who were more human, more fallible, more conflicted and doubtful and flawed than people were used to seeing back in those days. The balance between the fantastic, the amazing, the incredible, the uncanny, the astonishing on one end and the ordinary, the human on the other end was what made Marvel Comics' output so compelling to read, because the heroes were so extraordinary that you could aspire to be like them but also so human that you could relate to them at the same time.

I think a lot of that's been lost in recent years, since so much of the focus now is on superheroes interacting almost exclusively with other superheroes (and S.H.I.E.L.D.) when they're not dealing with super-villains or planetary, galactic, cosmic, mystical, or universal threats that I doubt a lot of readers really relate to them as people anymore. The same thing could happen with this "alpha male" depiction that you seem to want for Spider-Man, if it's not tempered with the reminder that Peter Parker at his core is a humble, well-meaning guy who doesn't see himself as ultimately any better than anyone else and more than anything wants to use his abilities, super and otherwise, to help others when and where he can and make the world a better place. He should be more confident in his abilities and achieving his full potential than he's been depicted for a while, and the All-New, All-Different Amazing Spider-Man is doing a good job of showing that while retaining not just his sense of humor and wit but also his human compassion and nobility.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be an interesting take, but a lot of the charm of Spider-Man was how it straddled the line between what would otherwise be the "typical comic book superhero power fantasy" and emphasizing that Peter Parker was just as human as any of us reading his adventures and had his share of human doubts and worries and insecurities like the rest of us. Hell, Marvel became the comic book powerhouse that it was because it featured heroes who were more human, more fallible, more conflicted and doubtful and flawed than people were used to seeing back in those days. The balance between the fantastic, the amazing, the incredible, the uncanny, the astonishing on one end and the ordinary, the human on the other end was what made Marvel Comics' output so compelling to read, because the heroes were so extraordinary that you could aspire to be like them but also so human that you could relate to them at the same time.

I think a lot of that's been lost in recent years, since so much of the focus now is on superheroes interacting almost exclusively with other superheroes (and S.H.I.E.L.D.) when they're not dealing with super-villains or planetary, galactic, cosmic, mystical, or universal threats that I doubt a lot of readers really relate to them as people anymore. The same thing could happen with this "alpha male" depiction that you seem to want for Spider-Man, if it's not tempered with the reminder that Peter Parker at his core is a humble, well-meaning guy who doesn't see himself as ultimately any better than anyone else and more than anything wants to use his abilities, super and otherwise, to help others when and where he can and make the world a better place. He should be more confident in his abilities and achieving his full potential than he's been depicted for a while, and the All-New, All-Different Amazing Spider-Man is doing a good job of showing that while retaining not just his sense of humor and wit but also his human compassion and nobility.
    Well said, but I was going for a take on manliness that gets into his drive more and his conviction to never quit or lose faith. Like Superman or Cap. All the while retaining his humor and light hearted behavior. He doesn't have to be all macho jockeqse to be manly but he doesn't be a pansy intitally when confronting things and hide his fear.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 10-29-2015 at 08:14 PM.

When i read the title i thought of this:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    When i read the title i thought of this:

Haha I love this. Should appear in Web Warriors.

To the OP, I think Peter works best as a beta/omega male who has these "uber alpha" moments in emergency situations like "If This Be My Destiny", "The Goblin's Last Stand" and "Kraven's Last Hunt". It actually gives those moments an extra epic punch if Peter is not like that 24/7.

Some people are already complaining about the new status-quo being like Iron Man lite, I'm sure Peter running around with Stark's personality on top of that would go down a real treat.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Some people are already complaining about the new status-quo being like Iron Man lite, I'm sure Peter running around with Stark's personality on top of that would go down a real treat.
    WHo says he has to be a manly depiction like Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Well, in that case they could say that Peter and Tony changed bodies, but that would mean that Peter is back with MJ.

I don't think it would work but hey neither do I think Spidey works as a globetrotting billionaire, so what do I know.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Instead of the mile mannered snarky worry wort typical depiction, how would you feel about a Spider-Man that is fully assertive and confident to the point of being like Wolverine but less bloodthirsty. Also headstrong, risk taking and brash with pride, he never second guesses his actions and has no problems with women when whining.

That kinda sounds exactly like Superior Spider-Man.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Well said, but I was going for a take on manliness that gets into his drive more and his conviction to never quit or lose faith. Like Superman or Cap. All the while retaining his humor and light hearted behavior. He doesn't have to be all macho jockeqse to be manly but he doesn't be a pansy intitally when confronting things and hide his fear.
    That actually sounds a lot more characteristic of Peter than I'd initially interpreted your opening post. Given that both Captain America and Spider-Man have been hailed as the greatest heroes of the Marvel Universe (or will be in the future, in Spider-Man's case) and share a surprising amount of similarities in their backgrounds and personalities, I could see a more Cap-like characterization working out quite well for Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    To the OP, I think Peter works best as a beta/omega male who has these "uber alpha" moments in emergency situations like "If This Be My Destiny", "The Goblin's Last Stand" and "Kraven's Last Hunt". It actually gives those moments an extra epic punch if Peter is not like that 24/7.
    Hmm, if he had to be depicted as an "alpha male" type, I'd go for the subtype that has enough confidence in himself and his abilities that he lets what he does speak for him and isn't concerned with proving himself to other people. In that frame of mind, recognition and respect would definitely be nice, but he's not going to trouble himself if he doesn't get it from other people, because he knows who and what he is and what he can do and he's proud of that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Confident in his abilities, yes. Swaggering from battle to battle while hooking up with a different woman between issues? No. While I think his days of being a broke photographer should be over, he should always retain some of that core insecurity that he grew up with before getting his powers.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Incredible Member

Peter has always been "manly" as you call it. In one early issue he crashes the Human torches party and challenges him to a fight. In another he does actually fight Flash Thompson but then realises he has to be careful as he could actually kill Flash with a punch because of his Spider strength. While he always gave mouth back to Flash and never just say still and took it.
    When he thinks he saved Gwen (but killed her) he's actually congratulating himself at saving the day again while he's doing it. Also Spidey has a lot of girlfriends too and not just Gwen/MJ and Black Cat but all the rest like Betty/Liz Allen and Deborah Whitman etc.

The idea that Peter was just an oh gosh gee type of guy is a bit if a myth tbh

BANNED

I think he's already confident.

Assertive... not so much but I don't think his playful sense of humor work with a headstrong, brash, prideful, Wolverine-like personality.