Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    No, I'm talking about comics stores going extinct. It's really an absurd distribution system.
    Yeah, like book stores and libraries. What dumb "distribution systems." Did you ever consider the possibility that some of us grew up reading comics (and books) you could hold in your hand and that there are things other than 'business efficiencies' that might factor into our preferences as fans? Of course you didn't. You seem to think it's your calling to improve things for a company that will never hire you to 'fix' things as you seem to believe you know how to do. Mostly I just chuckle and keep reading but once in a while one of your posts is so "absurd" it's really hard not to reply.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Yeah, like book stores and libraries. What dumb "distribution systems." Did you ever consider the possibility that some of us grew up reading comics (and books) you could hold in your hand and that there are things other than 'business efficiencies' that might factor into our preferences as fans? Of course you didn't. You seem to think it's your calling to improve things for a company that will never hire you to 'fix' things as you seem to believe you know how to do. Mostly I just chuckle and keep reading but once in a while one of your posts is so "absurd" it's really hard not to reply.
    Really? All I see you do is reply to my posts. Anyway, lots of people think comics have a bizarre and absurd distribution system. That's not a peculiar idea of mine. Comics shops will go away long before you become a pensioner, and the sooner the better for the comics companies.

Really? All I see you do is reply to my posts. Anyway, lots of people think comics have a bizarre and absurd distribution system. That's not a peculiar idea of mine. Comics shops will go away long before you become a pensioner, and the sooner the better for the comics companies.
    Down with comic book stores! And bookstores! And music stores! And newspapers!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, again, will just having digital comics be enough to make up for any loss when comic book shops close? Not everyone will switch over to digital. It may be cheaper to not deal with printing and distribution of paper comic books, but you won't eliminate such expenses as the writers, artists, and editors.

In addition to the comic books, comic book shops do sell merchandise, so some of those sales will be lost as well. And if you're expecting a good number of regular comic book buyers to switch to digital, will they still pay full price, or will they wait and buy them a few months later when the prices are reduced?
    I think we're actually in the midst of the digital switch-over already. As of 2011 all the major publishers offer same-day-digital and DC is spearheading the digital-first movement while Marvel experiments with alternative methods of craft that utilize the format beyond scan-and-swipe. Digital has seen a much higher increase in readership (76 million new digital readers against 9 million floppy). Trade sales increase each year, and there's no limitation on trade distribution like there is with floppies and the Diamond Deal. And trades can be ordered online as easily as any book, so the health of the bookstore market isnt a make or break consideration. Still a consideration, but not one that would cripple trade sales.

Digital is the future whether we like it or not. We're on our way there now. Its really just a question of when the change will be complete, and who will come along for the ride.

The real problem the industry will face with the rise of digital is the marketing. People barely know that new comics are still being made. There is virtually no advertising for them in any format. If publishers want to step away from floppies and embrace a digital-and-trade only model, they're going to have to let people know that the product is out there, instead of relying on established fans, word of mouth and curious Google searches.

As for the hobby shops.....I imagine they'll have to switch over completely to merchandise. They'll end up resembling places like Hot Topic, with t-shirts and hoodies and toys and statues and trades and back issue bins for the retro, hipster crowd. But even if the vast majority of LCS make the change-over successfully, we'll still see a lot of places go out of business. And that's a damn shame.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Down with comic book stores! And bookstores! And music stores! And newspapers!
    Do music stores even still exist? I mean, I see cd's sold in lots of places but I dont think I've seen a straight up music store in damn near ten years.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Do music stores even still exist? I mean, I see cd's sold in lots of places but I dont think I've seen a straight up music store in damn near ten years.
    They still exist. They're not as prevalent, because most people seem to get their music digitally these days, but there are vinyl and CD shops in the US and other countries. How many of them have side businesses or exist still because the owner really really wants one even with losses, I couldn't say.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Everyone knows it's going this way with comics and it largely has with music and books and newspapers. I've just never seen anyone actually celebrate that fact, like it was a good thing that couldn't happen fast enough, as Trey Strain did. Then again Trey Strain has some unique opinions.

BANNED

Well maybe they'll keep the comics shops around to keep you happy.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Yeah, they do, but mostly to cater to vinyl afficionados. I actually have three within walking distance, but outside of the vinyl, their selection tends to be older, more obscure stuff or deeper indie. If you're looking for Taylor Swift's 1989, you probably won't have much luck, but if you want Wire's 154, you'll find a copy.

Also, if you ask for 1989, you and Ryan Adams will probably get made fun of, which you should, then they will suggest 154, which you should own if you actually like music.

Retired

The one thing I don't miss about record stores is when I would go up to the till with my selections and the 20 year old cashier would convey a sense of haughty disdain for everything I had chosen as he or she rang up my purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The one thing I don't miss about record stores is when I would go up to the till with my selections and the 20 year old cashier would convey a sense of haughty disdain for everything I had chosen as he or she rang up my purchases.
    I feel like every cashier I ever dealt with does that no matter what im buying.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Two issues a month would be cool. The problem is that every book would require a minimum of two artists who swap two or three issue story arcs. Or worse, each issue has multiple artists... *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I feel like every cashier I ever dealt with does that no matter what im buying.
    You like Oreos and eggs!? You disgusting monster.

BANNED

How many book stores are left? How many video stores?

BANNED

How many book stores are left? How many video stores?
    Who cares? You can get books from Amazon (but I know of seven book stores within a half-hour drive, ten if you count comics specialty stores).

Retired

So why did free daily newpapers become such a thing in the last decade? Granted these dailies are not many pages, but if paper is on the way out, why is there so much paper everywhere you go?

I think for advertisers paper is an easier way to ensure you hit a wide swath of the public. And paper is still very cheap. For the internet, advertisers have to get their ads on sites where they can be sure people will go.

I don't think paper companies or pirnters want to go out of business, so they will make it cheap for publishers to produce mass market imprints. Comics have priced themselves out of the mass market, though. And why would advertirsers want to support publishers with low readership?