Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

BS- I think the problem posters are having is that we read history books (and some are old enough to remember) and know that there was a time in our recent history where anyone who was not part of the white/Christian/straight/etc. group was considered "other" and "un-American". Some tried to bridge that gap by ignoring their own culture and taking Anglo "American-style" names like Tom, Bob, Mary, etc. Adopted styles of dress they may have been less comfortable in, listened to "American-style" music, etc. All in an effort to fit in. And it usually gained them nothing but mockery and continued marginalization.

The mockery and marginalization still exists, but it's generally looked down upon by society and is less the automatic norm than it was decades ago. We're more sensitive to it, so when someone sees a question like "why don't they do things like everyone else" the unspoken thing we're hearing is "like they should" or "as is normal". Maybe not your intention, but that's what's heard. I'd say part of the answer is we're not as rigid and conforming a society as we once were and so the pressure to be "just like everyone else" is lessened. People can be free to name their kids after grandparents from Vietnam without worrying about their kid being harassed (at least any more than any other kid is), instead of naming the 7th Chris in their classroom. That's a good thing.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I suppose Nebuchadnezzar is a biblical name, but it hasn't been used much.
    I'm always saying that they've aren't enough Nimrods around.

Asked and answered.