View Poll Results: Who’s your FAVOURITE Thunderbolts writer?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Busiek

67 45.89%
  • Fabian Nicieza

24 16.44%
  • Warren Ellis

31 21.23%
  • Andy Diggle

1 0.68%
  • Jeff Parker

14 9.59%
  • Daniel Way

0 0%
  • Charles Soule

7 4.79%
  • Ben Acker & Ben Blacker

2 1.37%
Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool Justice, Like Lightning: THUNDERBOLTS Appreciation

An APPRECIATION of Everything THUNDERBOLTS

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] The Thunderbolts were first presented as a group of superheroes like the Avengers, both to readers and to the Marvel Universe, who became heroes to help protect the world when the Avengers were declared dead after the events of the 1996 "Onslaught" crossover. However the final page of the first issue of their comic book revealed that the Thunderbolts were the Masters of Evil in disguise, a surprise twist carefully guarded by Marvel.

FOUNDING THUNDERBOLTS
    LEADER: Citizen V [Baron Helmut Zemo]
    [SUB]: Meteorite [Dr. Karla Soften, M.D.]
    Atlas [Erik Josten]
    Fixer [P. Norbert Ebersol]
    Mach-1 [Abner 'Abe' Jenkins]
    Songbird [Melissa Gold]

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] Themes of redemption and the nature of heroism are often featured in Thunderbolts comics. In subsequent storylines, the group rejects their leader Baron Zemo and attempts to become heroes in their own right, eventually under the leadership of the Avenger Hawkeye. The book has also garnered critical praise for its use of secondary characters from other Marvel Comics and its use of continuity-themed storytelling.

The Thunderbolts was an original concept created for Marvel Comics by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley. Most of the characters used in the final concept were reimagined versions of existing Marvel characters, with additional original characters for the series developed by Busiek and designed by Bagley. The pair also created the new heroic identities for the Masters of Evil. Busiek recalled:

The actual origin of Thunderbolts came when I used to live in New Jersey and drive to New England to visit my parents. To keep myself awake, I'd give myself books to write, and work out about two to three years of continuity. One trip, I assigned myself Avengers, and came up with the plan that the Masters of Evil would ultimately conquer them by posing as new heroes and slowly replacing them. At the time, I thought it was a neat idea, and filed it away.

The Thunderbolts first appeared as a team in The Incredible Hulk #449 (January 1997), written by Peter David and illustrated by Mike Deodato. Originally intended to be a similar team known as the "Echelon," the synchronization of the plans led to the Thunderbolts being used instead as a "teaser" for their own series. No mention was made of the connection between the Thunderbolts and the Masters of Evil in this appearance, save perhaps for the Hulk almost recognizing Meteorite's voice (having fought Moonstone before). The twist would not be revealed until the first issue of their own series.

THUNDERBOLTS #1

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] While the Thunderbolts (now on the run from the law after being unmasked as Masters of Evil) Val Cooper had gathered her own army of heroes she named the Redeemers.

REDEEMERS
    LEADER: Citizen V [John Watkins III]
    the Beetle [Leila Davis]
    Scream [Angar the Screamer]
    Smuggler [Conrad Josten]

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] The Redeemers helped the Thunderbolts battle Henry Peter Gyrich (the "mastermind" behind Scourge), who had acquired experimental nanite technology. Gyrich wanted to use the nanites to kill off all heroes and villains on Earth. Gyrich's scheme was foiled. It was soon revealed that he had been infected with nanites, and had been secretly manipulated by Baron Strucker of the terrorist group HYDRA. Hawkeye tried to use this information as blackmail to get the Thunderbolts pardoned. Gyrich countered that he would tell the public himself about HYDRA's scheme. Ultimately, Gyrich agreed to stay quiet and give the Thunderbolts their pardon. In return, Hawkeye turned himself in for aiding the fugitive heroes. Hawkeye went to prison, and the team disbanded.

THUNDERBOLTS #50

"TIMEBOLTS"
    LEADER: Fixer [P. Norbert Ebersol]
    [SUB]: Centurius [Dr. Noah Black]
    Boomerang [Frederick "Fred" Myers]
    Man-Thing [Dr. Theodore 'Ted' Sallis]
    Mister Hyde [Dr. Calvin Zabo]
    Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen]
    Satana Hellstrom
    Troll [Gunna Sijurvald]

THUNDERBOLTS #163

LEADER: Red Hulk [Gen. Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross]
    Deadpool [Wade Wilson]
    Elektra [Elektra Natchios]
    Ghost Rider [Johnny Blaze]
    Punisher [Frank Castle]
    Red Leader [Samuel Sterns]

N.B. this is NOT an Appreciation thread for the "Fightbolts"; who have little to nothing to do with the series, and who all true Tbolts fans ignore with disdain and disgust!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Coming THIS MONTH!!!

MAY 2016 SOLICITS

THUNDERBOLTS #1
    JON MALIN(A)
    Cover by JON MALIN[/SIZE]
    FROM THE ASHES OF AVENGERS: STANDOFF!
    They're a renegade team rampaging across the Marvel Universe under the direction of the Winter Soldier! But are the Thunderbolts heroes or villains-and do even they know for sure
    ?

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-23-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Solicits for NEXT MONTH

JUNE SOLICITS

THUNDERBOLTS #2
    JIM ZUB (W) • JON MALIN (A/C)
    Variant Cover by Steve Epting

• A group of reformed (are they reformed?) super criminals protect a facet of immense power while hunting down and destroying bizarre, mind-bending threats to the world -- What could go wrong?
    • A gut-wrenching battle for leadership; an alien threat; and the Thunderbolts caught red-handed by...well, read our pulse-pounding second issue and find out!

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-23-2016 at 04:09 PM.

APPRECIATION THREADS

ELEKTRA APPRECIATION: LADY IN RED
    http://community.comicbookresources....on-Lady-in-Red

WAR ZONE: PUNISHER APPRECIATION
    http://community.comicbookresources....r-Appreciation

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-29-2014 at 07:20 AM.

REVIEWS
    The Bums are Back in Town: Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12
    http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/20...spider-man-12/
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-11-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Incredible Member

Default Thunderbolts Appreciation

this was quite literally the thread I was trying to post on when it went out.
    with special kudos to Kieran_Frost

An APPRECIATION of Everything THUNDERBOLTS

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] The Thunderbolts were first presented as a group of superheroes like the Avengers, both to readers and to the Marvel Universe, who became heroes to help protect the world when the Avengers were declared dead after the events of the 1996 "Onslaught" crossover. However the final page of the first issue of their comic book revealed that the Thunderbolts were the Masters of Evil in disguise, a surprise twist carefully guarded by Marvel.

FOUNDING THUNDERBOLTS
    LEADER: Citizen V [Baron Helmut Zemo]
    [SUB]: Meteorite [Dr. Karla Soften, M.D.]
    Atlas [Erik Josten]
    Mach-1 [Abner 'Abe' Jenkins]
    Songbird [Melissa Gold]

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] Themes of redemption and the nature of heroism are often featured in Thunderbolts comics. In subsequent storylines, the group rejects their leader Baron Zemo and attempts to become heroes in their own right, eventually under the leadership of the Avenger Hawkeye. The book has also garnered critical praise for its use of secondary characters from other Marvel Comics and its use of continuity-themed storytelling.

The Thunderbolts was an original concept created for Marvel Comics by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley. Most of the characters used in the final concept were reimagined versions of existing Marvel characters, with additional original characters for the series developed by Busiek and designed by Bagley. The pair also created the new heroic identities for the Masters of Evil. Busiek recalled:

The actual origin of Thunderbolts came when I used to live in New Jersey and drive to New England to visit my parents. To keep myself awake, I'd give myself books to write, and work out about two to three years of continuity. One trip, I assigned myself Avengers, and came up with the plan that the Masters of Evil would ultimately conquer them by posing as new heroes and slowly replacing them. At the time, I thought it was a neat idea, and filed it away.

The Thunderbolts first appeared as a team in The Incredible Hulk #449 (January 1997), written by Peter David and illustrated by Mike Deodato. Originally intended to be a similar team known as the "Echelon," the synchronization of the plans led to the Thunderbolts being used instead as a "teaser" for their own series. No mention was made of the connection between the Thunderbolts and the Masters of Evil in this appearance, save perhaps for the Hulk almost recognizing Meteorite's voice (having fought Moonstone before). The twist would not be revealed until the first issue of their own series.

THUNDERBOLTS #1

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] While the Thunderbolts (now on the run from the law after being unmasked as Masters of Evil) Val Cooper had gathered her own army of heroes she named the Redeemers.

REDEEMERS
    LEADER: Citizen V [John Watkins III]
    the Beetle [Leila Davis]
    Scream [Angar the Screamer]
    Smuggler [Conrad Josten]

[FROM WIKIPEDIA] The Redeemers helped the Thunderbolts battle Henry Peter Gyrich (the "mastermind" behind Scourge), who had acquired experimental nanite technology. Gyrich wanted to use the nanites to kill off all heroes and villains on Earth. Gyrich's scheme was foiled. It was soon revealed that he had been infected with nanites, and had been secretly manipulated by Baron Strucker of the terrorist group HYDRA. Hawkeye tried to use this information as blackmail to get the Thunderbolts pardoned. Gyrich countered that he would tell the public himself about HYDRA's scheme. Ultimately, Gyrich agreed to stay quiet and give the Thunderbolts their pardon. In return, Hawkeye turned himself in for aiding the fugitive heroes. Hawkeye went to prison, and the team disbanded.

THUNDERBOLTS #50

"TIMEBOLTS"
    LEADER: Fixer [P. Norbert Ebersol]
    [SUB]: Centurius [Dr. Noah Black]
    Boomerang [Frederick "Fred" Myers]
    Man-Thing [Dr. Theodore 'Ted' Sallis]
    Mister Hyde [Dr. Calvin Zabo]
    Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen]
    Satana Hellstrom
    Troll [Gunna Sijurvald]

THUNDERBOLTS #163

N.B. this is NOT an Appreciation thread for the "Fightbolts"; who have little to nothing to do with the series, and who all true Tbolts fans ignore with disdain and disgust!

I'll let others finish the update.

While I have loved many incarnations of this group, I can't get into the current one.

However, if you're OK with me lavishing praise on the former groups, I am definitely in. A great concept by Busiek that has had different interpretations but none better than the first. I enjoyed Gage's brief run, some of Niciezas', all of Ellis' short run, and the whole of Parker's (RIP). A wonderful showcase for lesser known and lesser appreciated characters that writers can actually DO something with because they aren't all tied up in movies or big name franchises.

BANNED

Happy to see you brought this over, especially with all the work you did for the intro posts.

I LOVED Warren Ellis Thunderbolts. That was my intro to the team.

Some pretty sweet Thunderbolts #26 pages of Deadpool going John Rambo on everybody in today's Axel-In-Charge.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52576

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Happy to see you brought this over, especially with all the work you did for the intro posts.

I will be adding more history soon; just need some time, so we have the complete run down of the Thunderbolts evolution and progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I LOVED Warren Ellis Thunderbolts. That was my intro to the team.
    I'm sooooo torn on which to choose. Warren Ellis' run was perfection BUT it was only 12 issues long; where as Fabian and Parker (my other favourites) wrote 60+ issues; and maintained an excellent level the entire time. I just don't know.

I'm leaning towards Parker, because he used three very different teams; and I enjoyed all three. Where as Fabian's New Thunderbolts was brilliant, his original Thunderbolts had quite a few I didn't care for (Atlas, Jolt, Charcoal). I'm leaning towards Jeff Parker...

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Some pretty sweet Thunderbolts #26 pages of Deadpool going John Rambo on everybody in today's Axel-In-Charge.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52576
    Thanks for this; the lighting of this scene is beautiful.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-03-2014 at 02:53 AM.

I think I'm one of the very few that loved the Digglebolts. The writing of Ant-Man irked me, as did the costume changes (seriously, his original costume was perfect, why did everyone feel the need to change it?) but the team as a whole had incredible potential, and I was sorry to see them shuffled off so quickly.

As an aside, am I the only one that would love to see Spencer bring Thunderbolts back to basics when the current direction ends? Superior Foes has shown the guy has an amazing knack for villains. Hopefully the chance to use some higher profile names, and possibly someone like Songbird to anchor them (though I love his Mach VII) would bring better better sales than SF has had.

Thanks for linking to the appreciation threads Kieran!

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Busiek run will always be the gold standard,although i can enjoy different approaches like Ellis' run.The current Thunderbolt run is quite good and i love that Leader start to get the spotlight.He is such an underrated villain and a character.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Just read the latest Thunderbolts issue... and I think I finally worked out why it doesn't work for me. There was no danger. I didn't (at any point) think Ghost Rider will stay dead (ditto for Frank and Elektra); and that's not Thunderbolts (too me). What I loved so much about the comic is ANYTHING could happen. Any character could die, any character lose a hand or suddenly be revealed as uber evil and it would stick. When you use such major characters, the 'danger level' decreases. The slaughter of the Redeemers, the deaths of Headsman, Atlas, Zemo, the coma of Karla, the time-loop lose of Fixer, the paralysis of Dallas... you can only get away with these things in a comic with C-listers.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good arc, and the Elektra/Punisher death was great. But it just lacked that "punch" (that you only get when there's a serious possibility it's a permanent thing (at-least for a good year at-least)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    I think I'm one of the very few that loved the Digglebolts. The writing of Ant-Man irked me, as did the costume changes (seriously, his original costume was perfect, why did everyone feel the need to change it?) but the team as a whole had incredible potential, and I was sorry to see them shuffled off so quickly.
    While I'm sad Diggle never got to finish his set-up (I SWEAR Ghost was originally Zemo!!!) and we never saw Songbird's "blue brothers" showdown; I thought his run was solid. He made us care about characters I never thought we'd enjoy, and his first arc Burning Down the House is the DEFINITIVE Songbird arc, in my eyes. It's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    As an aside, am I the only one that would love to see Spencer bring Thunderbolts back to basics when the current direction ends? Superior Foes has shown the guy has an amazing knack for villains. Hopefully the chance to use some higher profile names, and possibly someone like Songbird to anchor them (though I love his Mach VII) would bring better better sales than SF has had.
    Based on his current Superior Foes of Spiderman, I'd ADORE a Thunderbolts run by him. Both SFoS and his Secret Avengers had a lot of Thunderbolts lore in it, he clearly is a fan. I'd 100% support him getting a shot at the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Thanks for linking to the appreciation threads Kieran!
    Welcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Busiek run will always be the gold standard,although i can enjoy different approaches like Ellis' run.The current Thunderbolt run is quite good and i love that Leader start to get the spotlight.He is such an underrated villain and a character.
    We've had so many great writers on the series; I adore them all each in their own way (except maybe Way... )
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Inspired by nozpozyzy, here's some Thunderbolts questions to get us talking:

1. Who is your favourite Thunderbolt?
    2. Who is your favourite Thunderbolts writer?
    3. Who is your favourite Thunderbolts villain?
    4. What is your favourite Thunderbolts story arc?
    5. Who is your favourite Thunderbolts ally? (i.e. NON-Thunderbolt member)
    6. What is your favourite fight in Thunderbolts?
    7. What is your favourite Thunderbolts romance? (even if it didn't end in dating)
    8. What was your saddest Thunderbolts moment?
    9. Which dead Thunderbolts/Dark Avenger would you resurrect?
    10. Who would you love to see join the Thunderbolts?