Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default why do writers always use spider-man as bait to get people to buy certain team books...

and then suddenly he's not on the team after just a few issues(sometimes in the case of uncanny avengers he's already gone after the first issue!)which means all the interviews talking about spider-man's importance to the team were a bunch of garbage

but why?....why even do that?!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

How do we know he won't return to the team later? In which case it wouldn't be baiting. (And for me, Johnny is the draw not Peter.)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    How do we know he won't return to the team later? In which case it wouldn't be baiting. (And for me, Johnny is the draw not Peter.)
    it's just in spider-man's nature i guess he's not really known for sticking around on teams and works better alone than with a random group of heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    it's just in spider-man's nature i guess he's not really known for sticking around on teams and works better alone than with a random group of heroes
    He's had pretty good stints in New Avengers and Future Foundation.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

But Uncanny Avengers is a bad example in this case. "Person X gets angry and walks away from the team only to come back when they need him" is a tried and true comic plot device.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    He's had pretty good stints in New Avengers and Future Foundation.
    people keep citing those two books and yes i know it's a bad example but has it not been years since spider-man's been a fully fledged member of a team book and just a guest star or window dressing?

Maybe his joint book with Deadpool will help clear the air between them and make him rejoin the Avengers (one can wish).
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Hard to see him leaving a book because of Deadpool, when he has an ongoing with Deadpool scheduled. I imagine he'll be back in some capacity.

I think Spider-Man will be back, considering that it was only the first issue and it's probably serving as a set up for Deadpool to prove himself to the rest of the Unity team. Once he does I'm sure Spider-Man will be back.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Because he's Marvel's most popular character, and using him means that people who normally wouldn't pick up the first few issues of a book will pick it up because he's in it. Hopefully, those readers will like the book enough to stick with it once Spidey leaves.

BANNED

people keep citing those two books and yes i know it's a bad example but has it not been years since spider-man's been a fully fledged member of a team book and just a guest star or window dressing?
    He was a full member of the avengers before superior happend and then there really was not that much time after that before spider-verse started so there was not enough time for him to do much. But as others have said we have only seen the first issue and it would not make sense for him to quit the avengers because of deadpool when they are going to have a series together.

Invincible Member

They've been using Spiderman to sell other book since at least the early 70's

He was a full fledged member of the Mighty Avengers before Secret Wars happened.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Because he's their most popular character despite what Breevort says?

Boisterously Confused

Spider-Man's not the only one like that. For a while, Wolverine was everywhere, regardless of whether it made the least bit of sense or not.